ZZZZ EAA SportPilot promotes ANN and Zoom

Old August 8th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ken Finney

Default ZZZZ EAA SportPilot promotes ANN and Zoom

"Richard Isakson" wrote in message
"Ken Finney" wrote ...

"Richard Isakson" wrote ...
Knowing Jim's previous problems with the truth, how can you believe
*anything* that's written in ANN?

Unless he is altering the audio files in the interviews...

Ken,

Most of what you find on ANN is merely company press releases that have
been
cut and pasted onto the website. If you went to the individual company
websites you would find that story and others there for the reading. I
suppose that's too much trouble so you let Jim decide which press releases
you read. Of course, you won't find negative articles about major
sponsors
but you will find falsified "news" about companies that refuse to play
Jim's
games. Part of the entertainment?

From time to time Jim will publish a flight review of an airplane. What
in
Jim's background makes you think he's qualified to judge airplane flight
characteristics? Or do you care? It's better to just let Jim form your
opinion? Or is it all entertainment?

As a newcomer to GA (and not yet a pilot), I look for information
everywhere. I truly believe there is no such thing as objectivity, that
every report to subjective to a point. You are right, ANN does decide what
to put on their website, and if I had the time, that I could surf looking
for press releases. Did you ever notice that magazines tend to publish a
review of a product, and within a page or two is an ad for that product?
Not random chance. The new Avweb look is dreadful, generalaviationnew never
updates much, ultraflightradio isn't bad, but the other sites I frequent are
even worse. ANN at least puts a lot of effort into their podcasts, I'll
concede that they are subjective, but I find it easier to listen to
something that is subjective than it is to listen to something that isn't
there in the first place.

Old August 8th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Ken Finney says...

Despite all the obvious issues with Mr. Campbell (and I personally know a
person involved in one of the lawsuits/countersuits), he does run the best
aviation news website I've found.

...so despite the obvious issues with Musolinni, he had trains that ran on time
and despite the obvious issues with Hitler,he built some really good autobans
and put the Germans to work. So I guess by your logic Hitler and Musolinni were
all right guys because some of the things they did might be considered
good.......Hmmmm

I wonder if the person you know that zoom sued is happy to know how you feel? I
might know of only one.

If there is a better one, I'd sure like
to know what it is.

Av Web.

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

"zoom can fool some people all the time ,all the people some of the time ,but he
don't fool me" chuck s

Old August 8th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Isakson

"Ken Finney" wrote ...

As a newcomer to GA (and not yet a pilot), I look for information
everywhere.

Ken,

This is Chuck Slusarczyk's nightmare come to life Since you're new to RAH
you don't have the perspective that came out of the Zoom Wars of several
years ago. At that time Jim was still posting here and you could judge from
his own words what Captain Zoom Campbell is really like in the darkness of
his soul.

Rich

Old August 8th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:47:52 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote:

("Richard Isakson" wrote)
Knowing Jim's previous problems with the truth, how can you believe
*anything* that's written in ANN?

...or TIME, or NEWSWEEK, or The Mpls Star-Tribune, or CBS News, or NBC's
Dateline, or The NYTimes, or the local TV news, or Rush, etc, etc, etc.

You pays your monies, and you takes your chances.

But in most other cases, you've got a lot better chance of eventually getting
the real story.

There have been a number of journalistic ethics scandals over the past ten
years, from Stephen Glass to Jayson Blair to CBS News and beyond. Heck, Reuters
just admitted that some of the photos they'd published of the battles in Lebanon
had been altered for more dramatic appearance.

In most of these cases, the unethical journalist was caught because complaints
or his own actions triggered an investigation by the publication's editor.

But...what happens if the editor is the one fabricating the story, or altering a
photo, or hiding a personal relationship with one of the story's subjects? What
if the editor is also the publisher?

Back in the 90s, Jim Campbell wrote an "expose" accusing the employee of a
certain kit company of criminal actions. What he *didn't* say in the story is
that the target was one of his own former employees. And she was also his
ex-fiance.

I mean, shoot, there wasn't any question of it: He'd given sworn testimony to
the fact that she was his ex-fiance (while denying it here on RAH, of course).

If he had been employed by any normal publication, he would have been out on the
street and never worked in journalism again. But of course, he WAS the
employer.

You may not like CBS, you may not like Fox, but there ARE some checks and
balances available in these and most media. But not where the author, editor,
and publisher are one in the same person. Separation of these roles brings an
unjaundiced eye to emotional topics and ensures that the editorial aspects of
the publication receive some isolation from the business (e.g., advertising)
aspects.

How much isolation exists at ANN, do you figure? When the editor-in-chief
claims that five aviation companies haven't paid advertising bills, how much
does that affect editorial coverage of these companies?

Even if the companies aren't mentioned negatively in articles, how much false
praise do their competitors receive?

I view ANN and "The Onion" about the same way...read for entertainment if you
like, but don't come to any conclusions based on it. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old August 8th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack[_1_]

("Richard Isakson" wrote)
...or TIME, or NEWSWEEK, or The Mpls Star-Tribune, or CBS News, or NBC's
Dateline, or The NYTimes, or the local TV news, or Rush, etc, etc, etc.

You pays your monies, and you takes your chances.

So you've allowed some of the modern media to convince you that a lack of
journalistic ethics is a good thing?

That conclusion is, um, confusing?

Montblack - Film at 11
"It's 19 minutes after the hour, and now it's time for our daily feature The
Astrological Hour. A quick reminder these reports are not intended to foster
belief in astrology, but merely to support people who cannot take
responsibility for their own lives." - The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)

Old August 8th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

As a newcomer to GA (and not yet a pilot), I look for information
everywhere. I truly believe there is no such thing as objectivity, that
every report to subjective to a point. You are right, ANN does decide
what to put on their website, and if I had the time, that I could surf
looking for press releases. Did you ever notice that magazines tend to
publish a review of a product, and within a page or two is an ad for that
product? Not random chance. The new Avweb look is dreadful,
generalaviationnew never updates much, ultraflightradio isn't bad, but the
other sites I frequent are even worse. ANN at least puts a lot of effort
into their podcasts, I'll concede that they are subjective, but I find it
easier to listen to something that is subjective than it is to listen to
something that isn't there in the first place.

As a newcomer you really ought to take advice from those that came earlier.
If you want aviation news and don't like AvWeb, (which I think is really
pretty good), then go to Google News Alerts
http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en and create your own search string for
aviation news.

Old August 8th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ken Finney

"Richard Isakson" wrote in message
news
"Ken Finney" wrote ...

As a newcomer to GA (and not yet a pilot), I look for information
everywhere.

Ken,

This is Chuck Slusarczyk's nightmare come to life Since you're new to RAH
you don't have the perspective that came out of the Zoom Wars of several
years ago. At that time Jim was still posting here and you could judge
from
his own words what Captain Zoom Campbell is really like in the darkness of
his soul.

Jeez...

Can I at least say I like Pete Combs' voice?

Old August 8th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Isakson

"Ken Finney" wrote ...

Can I at least say I like Pete Combs' voice?

Ken,

This has nothing to do with the staff at ANN. Most of them turn out to be
good people after Jim stabs them in the back and they quit ANN. Ron
Wanttaja used to be a big time Zoom supporter and part time employee.

Rich

Old August 8th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ken Finney

"Richard Isakson" wrote in message
"Ken Finney" wrote ...

Can I at least say I like Pete Combs' voice?

Ken,

This has nothing to do with the staff at ANN. Most of them turn out to be
good people after Jim stabs them in the back and they quit ANN. Ron
Wanttaja used to be a big time Zoom supporter and part time employee.

I'm not a Zoom supporter, in fact, I have warned others about him. But at
least as far as ANN is concerned, to me it is like they are handing out free
coffee. If I want a cup of coffee and they are handing it out for free,
I'll take it.

If the cup has his name on it, I'll turn the cup so that my hand hides it!
;^)

Old August 8th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

"Richard Isakson" wrote in message
"Ken Finney" wrote ...

Can I at least say I like Pete Combs' voice?

Ken,

This has nothing to do with the staff at ANN. Most of them turn out to
be
good people after Jim stabs them in the back and they quit ANN. Ron
Wanttaja used to be a big time Zoom supporter and part time employee.

I'm not a Zoom supporter, in fact, I have warned others about him. But at
least as far as ANN is concerned, to me it is like they are handing out
free coffee. If I want a cup of coffee and they are handing it out for
free, I'll take it.

If the cup has his name on it, I'll turn the cup so that my hand hides it!
;^)

And Jim Jones was just handing out Kool-Aid.