Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

Old April 6th 04, 01:22 PM
Stephen Harding

Marie Lewis wrote:

I am no longer reading or answering posts from that idiot Harding, so thank
you for your reasoned and logical replies.
He really is so prejudiced and illogical that one cannot waste one's time on
him. You have the patience to explain to him. I admire that. However,
his knowledge, like so many of his compatriots (thankfully, not all) is
limited and chauvinist. I fear one cannot argue with such people.

And this gal feels all we need to do for world peace and harmony
is to discuss our differences and work together and all will be
well? She can't even handle a collision of ideas on a NG!

So much for liberal, honest disagreement and civil discourse.

Much more easily said than done.

SMH

Old April 6th 04, 01:24 PM
Stephen Harding

James Robinson wrote:

Stephen Harding wrote:

There are many policy differences between the US and Europe.
When you become an American citizen you can indeed ask that
question, and use your freedoms to promote your ideas of
what government should do. Until then, its an internal matter
for the US to decide. Tough luck for you.

Kind of like how the US left countries like Cuba, Iran, Honduras, Chile,
Argentina, Grenada, Egypt, and many others, to chart their own course
when they were democracies?

Not certain when most of these listed countries were actual democracies,
but never mind.

The policies of the Bush government have only increased that likelihood,
by acting unilaterally, and in continuing the biased treatment of Arab
countries in the region. At one time the US had a moral standing in the
world that was envied. It was the belief that diplomacy was the most
important approach to a problem, and violence was only the last resort,
when all other peaceful avenues had been exhausted. The attack on Iraq
has eliminated that unique position, and lowered the US to the ranks of
other bullies around the world. It was so unnecessary, and it will take
many years to regain the confidence of the rest of the world.

How could this be given "Cuba, Iran, Honduras, Chile, ..." listed above?

SMH

Old April 6th 04, 02:03 PM
Marie Lewis

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Marie Lewis

sorry, that's excessively impolite, please go away.

On pourrait peut-etre lui dire de nous foutre la paix?

now, what did Marie just say about showing off?

Not showing off: there is nothing particularly remarkable about speaking
French.

Millions of people do that.

Old April 6th 04, 03:42 PM
devil

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:07:10 -0500, Richard Steiner wrote:

Here in rec.travel.air,
"Marie Lewis" spake unto us, saying:

The Frenc have a word for it: chauvinism. That is what we are seeing
in the USA now: "my leader right or wrong!"

The majority of people that I know in my area of the US are simply not
in agreement with many of the current administration's policies, and
some are in very strong disagreement.

I find it somewhat shocking that citizens of the US are being portrayed
as all lining up behind their leadership. That simply isn't happening.

The thing is, it appears this administration is trying very hard to make
it that way: either you are with us or else.

Bringing back Mr. McCarthy I suppose?

Old April 6th 04, 03:45 PM
devil

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:01:28 +0100, Marie Lewis wrote:

"devil" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:27:54 +0200, AJC wrote:

Patriotism can be a great force for good and bad. Throughout history
extremists on the left and the right have used it to their advantage.

Excitation of nationalist feelings is always bad. "Patriotism" is just a
convenient word to make it sound otherwise.

No matter what, it's an "us vs. them" thing.

The Frenc have a word for it: chauvinism. That is what we are seeing in the
USA now: "my leader right or wrong!"

That's not really what chauvinism is though.

Chauvinism is more like a grassroot feeling that "we" are the center of
the universe. A belly button thing. Sure, beside France, there are a
number of parochial places like that, usually realtively large countries,
which the world is perceived as far away from. Among places where I lived
that felt like that, obvious places include Brazil and the US. With
France retaining its benchmark status of course.

Old April 6th 04, 04:09 PM
Tom Bellhouse

"Stephen Harding" wrote in
message ...
The Reids wrote:

Following up to Richard Steiner

The majority of people that I know in my area

of the US are simply not
in agreement with many of the current

administration's policies, and
some are in very strong disagreement.

I find it somewhat shocking that citizens of

the US are being portrayed
as all lining up behind their leadership.

That simply isn't happening.

the news we get is the election race is 50-50

The election is indeed looking to be another

50-50 vote, like 2000.

Furthermore, the infamous punch ballots

("hanging chads") are
still very likely going to be present in some

voting districts!

SMH

What's worse is the fact that the new electronic
voting machines are subject to software
manipulation, and the company (Diebold) that makes
the majority of them is a heavy contributor to
George W. Bush. The companies say that the
software is "proprietary" and not subject to
scrutiny. In addition, there is no paper trail in
most cases, so a recount is impossible. You have
to accept what the machines say. There were many
cases of highly questionable results in the
primary elections, like a district where lots of
people went to the polls but no votes were
recorded.

Some saint at Diebold leaked information on bugs
in their system to the media. That information
was posted on the web by others, but was quickly
pulled by Diebold (who acknowledged that the memos
were real.) At least one copy remains at:
http://www.indybay.org/news/2003/09/...nt.php#1653041

Tom

Old April 6th 04, 05:42 PM
Alan Minyard

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:48:40 +0100, The Reids wrote:

Following up to Stephen Harding

I am coming around to absolutely despising Europeans, or
at least a fairly large subset of them!

f*** off out of travel europe then

Well, we don't really want any europeans visiting the US, and
I doubt if very many Americans would want to visit europe. It
is therefore not a problem. If anyone visits the US they will
have to play by OUR rules.

Al Minyard
Old April 6th 04, 05:51 PM

"Marie Lewis" wrote:

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message , "Gord
writes
"Marie Lewis" wrote:
Doesn't your military fingerprint it's members?...they do in
Canada...

I did not write this: I would not have put an apostrophe in "its."

Marie Lewis

Of course you didn't Marie, you should learn how to decipher the
'right wedges' to tell who said what on usenet. If you care to
learn you'll find that a persons speech will have one more right
wedge () than his name does.

You're correct about the 'its', that was my error.
--

-Gord.
Old April 6th 04, 06:19 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Marie Lewis wrote:

"devil" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:27:54 +0200, AJC wrote:

Patriotism can be a great force for good and bad. Throughout history
extremists on the left and the right have used it to their advantage.

Excitation of nationalist feelings is always bad. "Patriotism" is just a
convenient word to make it sound otherwise.

No matter what, it's an "us vs. them" thing.

The Frenc have a word for it: chauvinism. That is what we are seeing in the
USA now: "my leader right or wrong!" ML

You see that mostly in the minority who supported him prior to his
selection. Those who opposed his selection are still pretty ****ed. FFM