Degausser, what is it?

Old April 5th 04, 02:51 AM
Big John

Brian

Same problem I had with my Mk20C (turbo normal, manual gear )

Cage is great for safety but hell on compass headings.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````

On 1 Apr 2004 07:09:40 -0800, (Brian Cox) wrote:

(Robert M. Gary) wrote in message . com...
It was recommended to me that I should rent a degausser to get my
compass to behave more reasonably. I called a dealership that rents
it, they are asking $50 plus shipping for 1 week's use. They said it
requires power. I'm having trouble invisioning what this thing is. I'm
also curious what it would be like to ship. Is it something big like a
vacuum cleaner?
-Robert

I had a problem with the compass in a Mooney M20C. It was also
recommended that I try degaussing the steel cage. I got a lot of
conflicting advice about degaussing. Since I'm based in Colorado, I
also considered the effects of P-static. That is because the compass
errors (approximately 40 degrees) were intermittent. In the end, I
bought a kit of static wicks from Mooney and installed them per STC.
The compass problem was fixed. I haven't seen any other Mooney's in
this area with static wicks, but most all Cessnas have them.

On the price of $50 for one week's use - that sounds about right. It
may be my error, but I'm assuming you have a Mooney, and that the
degausser is avaiable from LASAR (Lake Aero)? Another alternative is
to put a remote compass sensor in the tail and the compass head in the
panel, but that is a bit pricey.

Good luck,
Brian
Former owner M20C

Old April 5th 04, 05:52 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
Robert, during WWII, the Allied response to German magnetic mines
which were laid on the bottom of shallow water passages like the River
Thames, was to degauss the ships. That's right, entire ships. The
ship would be wrapped entirely around with huge electrical cables and
then they would be energized and the ships magnetic field would be
altered enough to avoid setting off the mines. Or so the engineers
calculated anyway. It's still being done according to sources brought
up with a google search. Some ships have permanent degaussing coils
built into the hull and superstructure.

Deja-vu?

http://www.forpilots.com/archive/rec...7/msg18350.htm

Read back in the thread for more info...

Paul