Autogas Tips and Tricks

Old April 27th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts

Default Autogas Tips and Tricks

Here in Canada, friends who fly with Mogas use Chevron - they tell me it
doesn't contain alcohol.
Our government is threatning to add ethanol to pretty much all gas next
year.
Aircraft Spruce sell an alcohol testing kit.
I believe that it separates out the alcohol - so that you can drink it -
but I could be wrong

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article ,
Al wrote:

With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Al
1964 172E
KSFF

Old April 27th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 26, 9:00 pm, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

wrote:
Al wrote:
With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Trick number 1, find autogas without alcohol in it these days.

All the folks driving the Rotax 100hp engine
are using 91 octane mogas with about 5% alcohol
with no issues. I have no idea whether or not
that would be acceptable in a Lycoming or Continental.

Watch out if you have fibreglass tanks! Boaters are finding out (the
hard way) that the alcohol decomposes the resins into goo that gums up
carburetors, filters and lines.- Hide quoted text -

The FAA has never issued any STC's allowing for

Old April 27th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

On Apr 26, 7:47 pm, Helen wrote:
As mentioned, the ethanol thing is a problem. Cessna Pilot's
Association recommends using a 50/50 mixture of 100LL and auto fuel in
your O300. It more closely matches the 80 your O300 was designed for
than anything else out there.

50/50 mixture will give you closer to 91/96 Avgas. 25% 100LL/75%
autofuel mixture is closer to 80/87 in terms of TEL level.

There is an advisory for the O300 about vapor lock and the CPA
recommends flying only on one tank anytime above 5000' so you can easily
clear the lock.

I run straight autofuel in a low wing Grumman all the way up to 12,500
feet and I didn't have any vapor lock problem.

The situation most prone to vapor lock is a short turn-around stop on
a hot day. You shut down, fuel up or loading/unloading, and fire up
again. The fuel line in the engine compartment can get very hot. The
way around this problem is to open up your cowling to let the heat out
during those quick turn stops.

Old April 27th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Robert, please go away. Your incessant obsequiousness to the FAA is
becoming irritating to those of us who want practicality in our lives.

Jim

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Find someplace where the autogas mixture is not prohibited by the FAA.

Old April 27th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

It more closely matches the 80 your O300 was designed for

Only in octane perhaps. It still has more than twice the lead.

There is an advisory for the O300 about vapor lock and the CPA
recommends flying only on one tank anytime above 5000' so you can easily
clear the lock.

That recommendation comes from Cessna itself, and has nothing to do with
auto fuel.
Old April 27th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 06:51:11 -0400, Ron Natalie
wrote:

There is an advisory for the O300 about vapor lock and the CPA
recommends flying only on one tank anytime above 5000' so you can easily
clear the lock.

That recommendation comes from Cessna itself, and has nothing to do with
auto fuel.

And AAUI only applies to the older Cessnas without dual venting caps.
New Cessna aircraft don't have the instruction, and IIRC even the
older ones don't have to if they've installed the newer style venting
caps on both tanks. Wasn't there an AD or something to do just that a
number of years ago?
Old April 27th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Al wrote:
With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Al
1964 172E
KSFF

Find someplace where the autogas mixture is not prohibited by the FAA.

-robert

That would be everywhere in the USA. As long as you have the appropriate
STC's and mogas, you can mix avgas and mogas to your heart's content.

For experimentals, it is a matter of engine compatibility.
Old April 27th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ArtP

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 04:44:24 GMT, tony roberts
wrote:

Here in Canada, friends who fly with Mogas use Chevron - they tell me it
doesn't contain alcohol.
Our government is threatning to add ethanol to pretty much all gas next
year.
Aircraft Spruce sell an alcohol testing kit.
I believe that it separates out the alcohol - so that you can drink it -
but I could be wrong

Tony

When searching for auto gas with less than 10% ethanol I looked at
Chevron. They specifically state there gas should never be used in
aircraft. (I never did find auto gas with less than 10% except in Ha
which is just too far from Md to do me any good.

Old April 27th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

wrote:

There is an advisory for the O300 about vapor lock and the CPA
recommends flying only on one tank anytime above 5000' so you can easily
clear the lock.

That recommendation comes from Cessna itself, and has nothing to do with
auto fuel.

And AAUI only applies to the older Cessnas without dual venting caps.

It's up to and including the K model. But it's not the caps, it's a
vent line. The cap issue is a different AD.
Old April 27th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 27, 6:06 am, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Al wrote:
With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Al
1964 172E
KSFF

Find someplace where the autogas mixture is not prohibited by the FAA.

-robert

That would be everywhere in the USA. As long as you have the appropriate
STC's and mogas, you can mix avgas and mogas to your heart's content.

Which STC allows for mogas with alcohol? I've called EAA on this and
they said they are not aware of any. The FAA is concerned that the
seals in the fuel system will break. Besides, I've seen what this new
mogas has done to my weed-eater. The local mower shop is backed up 45
days in repair cleaning out carbs trying to get this cruddy gas out.

-Robert