Buying/selling homebuilts

Old February 11th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
es330td

Default Buying/selling homebuilts (OT)

On Feb 10, 2:07*pm, wrote:

Airplanes are (usually) more expensive than other toys

Considering that even a modest plane costs as much as a house, I can
barely imagine the world of people whose toys cost more than their
planes.

I have a feeling that the first plane I own will be one I build
myself.
Old February 11th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

es330td wrote:
On Feb 10, 2:07*pm, wrote:

Airplanes are (usually) more expensive than other toys

Considering that even a modest plane costs as much as a house,

While it is true that one can find houses for $50,000, they generally
aren't much larger than a modest plane.
Old February 11th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
es330td

On Feb 11, 4:40*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
es330td wrote:
On Feb 10, 2:07*pm, wrote:

Airplanes are (usually) more expensive than other toys

Considering that even a modest plane costs as much as a house,

While it is true that one can find houses for $50,000, they generally
aren't much larger than a modest plane.

I guess I need to change my definition of "plane." My Dad has owned
an Archer II and a C182 so I think of planes in terms of enclosed, IFR
& GPS equipped cross country transportation. I guess if one takes the
IFR stuff out they get much more affordable rather quickly.
Old February 11th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

es330td wrote:
On Feb 10, 2:07 pm, wrote:
Airplanes are (usually) more expensive than other toys
Considering that even a modest plane costs as much as a house,

While it is true that one can find houses for $50,000, they generally
aren't much larger than a modest plane.

I guess I need to change my definition of "plane." My Dad has owned
an Archer II and a C182 so I think of planes in terms of enclosed, IFR
& GPS equipped cross country transportation. I guess if one takes the
IFR stuff out they get much more affordable rather quickly.

Or just do a little research on the cost of older Archers and 182s.
Old February 11th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
es330td wrote:
On Feb 10, 2:07 pm, wrote:

Airplanes are (usually) more expensive than other toys

Considering that even a modest plane costs as much as a house,

While it is true that one can find houses for $50,000, they generally
aren't much larger than a modest plane.

From my perspective the cost of an aircraft is related as the purpose you
have in mind. If your desired aircraft is to avoid the hassle of commercial
air travel, then the cost is in the millions. On the other hand, if the
purpose is the simply challenge and enjoyment of flying is isn't much more
expensive the a good modern snowmobile.

For me, it is the challenge; and, joy of flying and maintaining/improving my
bird. ( I have long ago abandoned the idea of using a an aircraft for
transportation.) I have left the "power community" and focused on soaring.
I fly 40 year old homebuilt technology and find pleasure in every minute I
am in the air.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Flights/6F_Gold_Distance.html
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-14/N990/N990.html
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

What does something like this cost?
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Tr...ding_Post.html

It is a lot of enjoyment for the dollar!!!

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old February 11th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Feb 11, 2:14*pm, es330td wrote:
On Feb 10, 2:07*pm, wrote:

Airplanes are (usually) more expensive than other toys

Considering that even a modest plane costs as much as a house, I can
barely imagine the world of people whose toys cost more than their
planes.

I have a feeling that the first plane I own will be one I build
myself.

If your point of comparison is to a new production aircraft, my house
was much cheaper. On the other hand, building a plane yourself will
probably be cheaper than a new production aircraft, don't look for it
to be some super bargain. You can easily run into the six figures
with your own homebuilt.

Old February 12th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

BobR wrote:
You can easily run into the six figures
with your own homebuilt.

These days you are pretty much guaranteed to go to six figures with a
homebuilt, at least if you count your pennies like I do... ;')

Charles
Old February 12th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

I would debate this idea. I think you would be hard pressed to be able
to build something for less money than an old Taylorcraft or Aeronca
Chief, etc...

Scott

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Old February 12th 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavalamb himself[_2_]

es330td wrote:

On Feb 10, 2:07 pm, wrote:

Airplanes are (usually) more expensive than other toys

Considering that even a modest plane costs as much as a house, I can
barely imagine the world of people whose toys cost more than their
planes.

I have a feeling that the first plane I own will be one I build
myself.

True, but it won't be an RV-6,
Old February 12th 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

And I won't debate that My take was the poster was implying that he
thought it was cheaper to build rather than buy and on that assumption,
I suggested he check out some older "classics" if cost was the only
criterion

Scott

cavalamb himself wrote:

True, but it won't be an RV-6,