CNX80 versus GNS430

Old October 3rd 04, 02:22 AM
Wayne Sweet

Default CNX80 versus GNS430

I have an experimental airplane which now has a GX50 GPS and two comms, one
nav. The second comm is having problems, so intend to replace it and the
GX50 with either a CNX80 or a GNS430. Any comments on advantages of one over
the other??
In particular, which unit has the best comm/ILS qualities, which has better
GPS user friendliness, etc?
I have played with both the Garmin simulators for these units and like some
features on one and some features on another. I have read the previous
thread on the CNX80, but didn't get anything decisive from the comments.
Thanks for any info
Wayne

Old October 3rd 04, 03:10 AM
john smith

CNS-80 is already WAAS equipped. It will cost more money to add it to
the GNS-430.
CNX-80 has airways in the database, GNS-430 does not.

Old October 3rd 04, 03:37 AM
Wayne Sweet

My autopilot (Navaid Device) needs a +- 1 mn sensitivity for accurate
enroute tracking. The GX50 allows a manual setting for the enroute default
from 5 to 1 mn. Does either the GNS430 or CNX 80 have that setting? The
User's Guides for both of these units do not mention this capability. This
will be the "show-stopper" if one does not.
Wayne

Wayne Sweet wrote:
I have an experimental airplane which now has a GX50 GPS and two comms,
one nav. The second comm is having problems, so intend to replace it and
the GX50 with either a CNX80 or a GNS430. Any comments on advantages of
one over the other??
In particular, which unit has the best comm/ILS qualities, which has
better GPS user friendliness, etc?
I have played with both the Garmin simulators for these units and like
some features on one and some features on another. I have read the
comments.
Thanks for any info
Wayne

Old October 3rd 04, 04:05 AM
Peter R.

Wayne Sweet ) wrote:

My autopilot (Navaid Device) needs a +- 1 mn sensitivity for accurate
enroute tracking. The GX50 allows a manual setting for the enroute default
from 5 to 1 mn. Does either the GNS430 or CNX 80 have that setting? The
User's Guides for both of these units do not mention this capability. This
will be the "show-stopper" if one does not.

The GNS430, when in auto mode, automatically sets the sensitivity to
+/- 5 miles. Within 30nm of the destination, the sensitivity gradually
adjusts to +/- 1nm. 2nm outside the FAF, it gradually adjusts to
+/- 0.3 nm.

The en route sensitivity can be overridden to the +/- 1nm setting.

--
Peter

Old October 3rd 04, 02:36 PM

"Wayne Sweet" wrote:

My autopilot (Navaid Device) needs a +- 1 mn sensitivity for accurate
enroute tracking. The GX50 allows a manual setting for the enroute default
from 5 to 1 mn. Does either the GNS430 or CNX 80 have that setting? The
User's Guides for both of these units do not mention this capability. This
will be the "show-stopper" if one does not.
Wayne

The CNX-80 v2.0 and the GNS-480 will have the capability to set
default course sensitivity (width) which will allow them to work
better with non-GPSS autopilots.