From Garmin 296 to 496

Old January 3rd 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default From Garmin 296 to 496

Cherokee via AviationKB.com wrote:

I am Instrument pilot that does very little IFR due to having only the 296.
In our area, during this season you have to be very careful at night, so easy
to get into weather quickley.( even in the day )
I would enjoy the XM radio also.
I have been unable to pull up subscription price page thus far. I want to
make sure this is the most popular unit you guys are using. Just installed
new KT-76C or would consider the Garmin mode S trans. Traffic is no big
threat while in a PA-28-180.
Anyone have a web site I can look at prices for XM subscriptions.

I fly in the Northeast so while not to the extremes of other areas, we
pretty much have it all (fog, mountains, icing, snow, rain, and the
occasional hurricane). I believe I would fly more as well in my PA-28
(albeit a -161).

What helped me justify my purchase is the fact that only a handful of
years ago (5+ let's say) it would have cost over $25K to get similar
capability. Even then, the weather was limited (radar, while real-time,
was limited by attenuation).

John posted the prices but here's the link for more detail:
http://www.xmradio.com/weather/av_service_pricing.xmc

They have a "seasonal" package where you can suspend your subscription
but out of five different people I talked to, I got six (yes, six!)
different stories on how it worked. One girl gave me two different ways
in the same call so use caution if you want this deal.

Marco

Old January 3rd 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Pixel Dent

In article ,
john smith wrote:

In article 6bb46329f70ed@uwe,
"Cherokee via AviationKB.com" u30624@uwe wrote:
Anyone have a web site I can look at prices for XM subscriptions.

$29 and $49.
More charts with the $49 option.
Some people on this group pay the $49 for the months they do the most
flying, then drop back to the $29 rate for the months they fly less
(winter).

I think the $49 also adds lightning strike data.

I bought a 396 used (but in more or less mint condition) with auto
package for $1500 a couple months ago and have already found it
extremely useful for IFR flights.

On my last flight I launched when my destination was reporting 100'
ceilings. It was really nice to be able to watch the METARs come in over
the course of the flight as the ceiling raised to match the forecast.
Nothing I couldn't do before with regular calls to flight watch, but
it's so much more convenient to have a graphical view of the conditions
at all the airports in the region when you're on a flight like that.
Well worth $50/month.
Old January 4th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cherokee via AviationKB.com

Morgans wrote:
This is my 1st post, just found you guys today. I'm located in Central
Mississippi, flying PA-28-180. I'm interested in moving up to the new
Garmin
496, I would appreciate any thoughts.

Check your settings, and make sure you are posting using plain text for
newsgroups, instead of HTML.

Morgans, I don't quiet understand how to check to see if I am using plain
text or HTML. Remember I am a pilot not a computer expert. I am open to learn,
though. Everything looks finr on my end.

Old January 4th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Cherokee via AviationKB.com" u30624@uwe wrote in message
Check your settings, and make sure you are posting using plain text for
newsgroups, instead of HTML.

Morgans, I don't quiet understand how to check to see if I am using plain
text or HTML. Remember I am a pilot not a computer expert. I am open to
learn,
though. Everything looks finr on my end.

You *are* using plain text. It just happens to be set to "UTF-8" encoding,
which in Outlook Express causes the message to be displayed with a different
font. This makes Jim think you posted in HTML (since he's only looking at
how the message looks, rather than paying attention to the actual format of
the message).

You probably don't have control over the posting format anyway, since you're
using a web site to post to the newsgroup. Personally, I think that's a bad
idea, but some people have no direct access to an NNTP server. Perhaps
you're one of these people. In any case, in this situation I don't see
anything about your use of a web site instead of a newsreader that is
causing actual problems for the rest of us.

In other words, don't worry about it.

Pete

Old January 4th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Peter Duniho" wrote

You probably don't have control over the posting format anyway, since
you're using a web site to post to the newsgroup. Personally, I think
that's a bad idea, but some people have no direct access to an NNTP
server. Perhaps you're one of these people. In any case, in this
situation I don't see anything about your use of a web site instead of a
newsreader that is causing actual problems for the rest of us.

In other words, don't worry about it.

You are right, I didn't check. To me, his message is readable, but id about
25% smaller print, which makes it hard for my farsighted eyes to see. Is
there a way to make it larger? I'm no computer geek, either (as you
guessed) so I don't know.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 4th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Morgans" wrote in message
You are right, I didn't check. To me, his message is readable, but id
about 25% smaller print, which makes it hard for my farsighted eyes to
see. Is there a way to make it larger? I'm no computer geek, either (as
you guessed) so I don't know.

Yes. In the Tools/Options... dialog, click on the "Read" tab, then the
"Fonts" button at the bottom. In the big list, click on "Unicode" and then
set the font to whatever suits you. You may want to set the font for both
"UTF-7" and "UTF-8" encodings, as long as you're there (you can select the
encodings with the "Encodings" drop-down list box, near the bottom of that
dialog).

You may find that you prefer to set the both the "Proportional" and
"Fixed-width" fonts to a font that's actually fixed-width. For example,
"Courier New" or "Lucida Console". I don't see any point in reading any
post on Usenet with a proportional-spaced font, since no post will depend on
have a proportional-spaced font, but some may only look correct with a
fixed-width.

On the other hand, some people find proportional-spaced fonts easier to
read, and may not care about "ASCII graphics" looking right. If you're such
a person, you may find that you prefer a proportional-spaced font for both
choices.

Pete

Old January 4th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Faster, color, better graphics, a lot more money.

| This is my 1st post, just found you guys today. I'm located in Central
| Mississippi, flying PA-28-180. I'm interested in moving up to the new Garmin
| 496, I would appreciate any thoughts.

Jim, is there a better unit for the price anywhere.

Welcome to the group! I'm not Jim, but I own a 496.

If you want XM weather and music, it's a great choice. If you don't
want weather/music, there are several GPS choices that are MUCH better.

For example, the Lowrance Airmap 2000c is a better GPS, with a bigger
screen, for about 1/6th the cost of a 496. (We fly with the Airmap on
the pilot's yoke, and the 496 in an AirGizmo panel dock.)

So you tell us -- are you looking for on-board weather?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 4th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Morgans, I don't quiet understand how to check to see if I am using plain
text or HTML.

You are posting through a web interface (AviationKB.com). THat is why
it is coming through as HTML. Web interfaces tend to do that (among
other things). I don't know if you are aware, but this newsgroup does
-not- belong to AviationKB.com. It is completely independent, and is
best accessed through a newsreader. Outlook is one and comes with
windows. There are better ones. You set it up similar to an Email
client, and the result is =much= easier, and you aren't beholden to a
web site.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 5th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:
Morgans, I don't quiet understand how to check to see if I am using plain
text or HTML.

You are posting through a web interface (AviationKB.com). THat is why
it is coming through as HTML. Web interfaces tend to do that (among
other things). I don't know if you are aware, but this newsgroup does
-not- belong to AviationKB.com. It is completely independent, and is
best accessed through a newsreader. Outlook is one and comes with
windows. There are better ones. You set it up similar to an Email
client, and the result is =much= easier, and you aren't beholden to a
web site.

Jose

Jose, how do I go about setting up thru a newsreader, to post and recieve. I
would appreciate any help