Question about St. Maarten

Old January 18th 04, 06:48 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta

Default Question about St. Maarten

I'm planing to go this summer to the aviation photographer's paradise.
However, my internet search produced too little information. Now, for those
of you who have seen pictures or have been there, how's that hotel on Maho
Beach called and what's the typical cost of a single bed room per day in it
in the middle-summer season? Also, which airline did you fly there with? I'm
thinking of going by either KLM or Air France, but since I'm in Croatia,
some time away from CDG or AMS and need a connecting flight, I'm seeking the
cheapest way. And yes, what's the predominant weather pattern there i.e.
which runway's most commonly in use?

Thanks

Triple Delta

Old January 19th 04, 09:19 PM
GP

Triple Delta,
We have a time-share in St. Maarten and thus go there for a week
each year at the same time, around the first of October. At
least at that time of the year at Juliana International, Runway 9
seems to be most commonly used. People love to hang out on the
beach right at the approach end and watch those big heavy jets
fly just over their heads!

We have always flown American Airlines (from Tampa, Florida), so
I can't comment on KLM or Air France.

I've often thought of going over to Grand Case Airport on the
French side and getting checked out in one of their 172's for a
little sightseeing, but have not yet done so. Great picture of
the approach to that airport in the Bahamas and Caribbean Pilot's
Guide, which by the way says AVGAS cost was 3.41 USD per gallon
in July 2001. No doubt more by now.

Summer of course is the low season in St Maarten, so things will
be quieter then than at other times. We stayed in the Maho Beach
Hotel one night courtesy of American Airlines when they had
maintenance problems with the plane we were scheduled to depart
on. It's a very nice hotel, but there's no doubt you could get
better value for your money at one of the time share resorts,
which I think you could typically rent for around $100 to $130
per night for a well-equipped ocean-view studio unit. I'd
recommend doing a bit of internet research; I'm sure you could
find something nice.

Almost every place on the Dutch side prices things in U.S
dollars. Gas stations seem to be the exception; pump prices are
in Netherlands Antilles guilders, and the attendant converts to
dollars if you want to pay with USD.

Send email if you have other questions.

Gerry Preston
Sarasota, FL