CBS "News" strikes AGAIN

Old January 19th 04, 02:21 AM
Judah

Hey listen... Compared to CBS News, my little hyperbolic illustration was
totally within limits!

Besides, even if they make $50K a year, that still pales in comparison to
$100k per episode or per game.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in
:

Judah wrote:

That's what happens when teachers make minimum wage, and celebrities
make $100,000 an episode...

Well, teachers haven't made that little in a LLLOOONNNGGG time! Around
here, the going rate is around 50K for substitutes and over 70K to
start for regulars. By comparison, starting pay for a software
developer with an MS is about 50K.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually
said is "Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Old January 19th 04, 03:51 AM
Don Tuite

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:19:54 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Don Tuite wrote:

Is that 70K real dollars or annualized based on 52.5 for nine months?

That's $70,000 per year.

Hummmmm... That's interesting....

Don
(Who's read too many pro-forma financial predictions.)

Old January 19th 04, 01:02 PM
Michael Houghton

Howyd!

In article ,
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Judah" wrote in message
.. .
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in
:

"Jordan" wrote in message

If we have to have celebrity endorsement, then our nation is too brain
dead to endure and is finished.

That's what happens when teachers make minimum wage, and celebrities make
$100,000 an episode...

Teachers hardly make minimun wage. Even if we paid them $100K, they don't
know _how_ to teach (besides being beholden to the unions). Further, even
those who LOVE to teach, still miss HOW the human mind learns and grasps
information in the form of concepts. That's why most all of "education" is
now BY ROTE.

Bull****. You don't even bother to slip in a weasely "most"; you simply
tar all teachers with your calumny.

I won't deny that there are a significant number of teachers whose ability
to teach is questionable, but many teachers actually give a damn about their
students, doing their best to *teach*. Oh, and "rote learning" is not so
nearly ubiquitous as you would claim.

Your tirade is so full of manure that it is laughable -- or would be if
you weren't expressing a range of opinions that are painfully common.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/
Old January 19th 04, 01:03 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote:
I think our liberal media is chastising the government for not
doing anything so they can chastise them again if they do.

It's got nothing to do with liberal or conservative: Fox was shrieking
as loud as the rest.

Dan, Your capacity for critical thinking and differentiation is
remarkable....when it suits your preconceived notions.

Boy isn't that the pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Teachers-are-
worthless-pieces-of-****. I suppose your opinion here is one of an
expert in the field.

yours,
Michael

Old January 19th 04, 05:42 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message
Howyd!

In article ,
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Judah" wrote in message
.. .
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in
:

"Jordan" wrote in message

If we have to have celebrity endorsement, then our nation is too

brain
dead to endure and is finished.

That's what happens when teachers make minimum wage, and celebrities

make
$100,000 an episode...

Teachers hardly make minimun wage. Even if we paid them $100K, they don't
know _how_ to teach (besides being beholden to the unions). Further, even
those who LOVE to teach, still miss HOW the human mind learns and grasps
information in the form of concepts. That's why most all of "education"

is
now BY ROTE.

Bull****. You don't even bother to slip in a weasely "most"; you simply
tar all teachers with your calumny.

Well, if in sending my kids to public schools all these years (they're all
in or past college now) I'd seen even ONE that comprehended HOW the young
minds grasps knowledge I'd say "most". That's not been me experience.

I won't deny that there are a significant number of teachers whose ability
to teach is questionable, but many teachers actually give a damn about

their
students, doing their best to *teach*. Oh, and "rote learning" is not so
nearly ubiquitous as you would claim.

"Giving a damn" is completely worthless if they don't know _HOW_ it works.

Your tirade is so full of manure that it is laughable -- or would be if
you weren't expressing a range of opinions that are painfully common.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

yours,
Michael

Best,

Tom

Old January 19th 04, 05:43 PM
Tom Sixkiller

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote:
I think our liberal media is chastising the government for not
doing anything so they can chastise them again if they do.

It's got nothing to do with liberal or conservative: Fox was shrieking
as loud as the rest.

Dan, Your capacity for critical thinking and differentiation is
remarkable....when it suits your preconceived notions.

Boy isn't that the pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Teachers-are-
worthless-pieces-of-****. I suppose your opinion here is one of an
expert in the field.

You just validated my position. Thanks!!

Old January 19th 04, 09:43 PM
Judah

Absolutely.

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in
:

Old January 19th 04, 09:46 PM
Judah

My kids are just starting in school. My son is in 3rd grade and my daughter
will start Kindergarden next fall.

Please advise on how I can ensure that my children grasp the knowledge
presented to them.

Thanks.

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in
:

snip

Old January 19th 04, 11:49 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Judah" wrote in message
My kids are just starting in school. My son is in 3rd grade and my

daughter
will start Kindergarden next fall.

Please advise on how I can ensure that my children grasp the knowledge
presented to them.

1) Avoid public schools
2) Dig out all you can about the Montessori method
3) Find some good material about human epistemology
4) Find some good works on critical thinking
5) Find some good works about abstract thinking and concept formation
(note: this teaches children to make associations, rather then just
perform memorization)

There is more, but this should hold you for a year or so. Note, too, that
very little of this material is found in the conventional literature of
education.

If you need some sources, leave you email address.