ASK-21 control surface seals

Old August 28th 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default ASK-21 control surface seals

Our club (SLSA) just acquired a nice "pre-owned" ASK-21. It doesn't
have any external seals (tape) on the ailerons and elevator. Is this
worth doing, like on the G-103?

Also, do any ASK-21 operators remove the main gear fairing when
operation off grass? Bit of an argument developing in the club about
this... ;^)

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old August 28th 11, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 09:12:02 -0700, kirk.stant wrote:

Our club (SLSA) just acquired a nice "pre-owned" ASK-21. It doesn't
have any external seals (tape) on the ailerons and elevator. Is this
worth doing, like on the G-103?

Ours do. I'm certain of this because of the kerfuffle when one of the top
aileron seals started to lift and this wasn't noticed during the DI. I
can't swear to what type they are but have a hazy recollection that they
are flexible fabric tapes, stuck to both wing and aileron.

Also, do any ASK-21 operators remove the main gear fairing when
operation off grass? Bit of an argument developing in the club about
this... ;^)

Ours have the main gear fairing removed. Our field is mown grass and
generally short enough that I suspect getting the fairings packed with
mud during winter operations is more of a problem than grass would be:
our field is heavy clay soil and gets pretty sodden in winter.

Since we do many more winch launches that aero tows, the main limitation
on winter ops is when the field is too wet for a 4WD Hilux on 12" wide
low pressure tires to tow a single steel cable and/or when a wet spell
lasts long enough for cable towing damage to the field to become a show-
stopper. If we use a single cable the Hilux can drive round soft spots or
standing water, which is not possible if you're pulling two cables or
aero-towing.

HTH
Martin

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old August 28th 11, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 09:12:02 -0700 (PDT), "kirk.stant"
wrote:

Our club (SLSA) just acquired a nice "pre-owned" ASK-21. It doesn't
have any external seals (tape) on the ailerons and elevator. Is this
worth doing, like on the G-103?

I am pretty sure that these seals are *mandatory* on the ASK-21 -
please check the maintenance manual.

Also, do any ASK-21 operators remove the main gear fairing when
operation off grass? Bit of an argument developing in the club about
this... ;^)

Keep the main gear fairing on - always remember that the 21 is
designed to be operated on grass runways.

Besides, it covers and protects the brake assembly.

Regards
Andreas
Old August 29th 11, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 28, 12:12*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Our club (SLSA) just acquired a nice "pre-owned" ASK-21. *It doesn't
have any external seals (tape) on the ailerons and elevator. *Is this
worth doing, like on the G-103?

Also, do any ASK-21 operators remove the main gear fairing when
operation off grass? *Bit of an argument developing in the club about
this... ;^)

Cheers,

Kirk
66

We have mylar seals on ailerons, elevator, and rudder. It flies a
little bit better sealed up but that may be psychlogical.
We fly off grass and leave wheel fairing on.
We made a minor mod by cutting the wheel fairing in half just behind
the axle point and adding a splice plate so rear half can be removed
in a few minutes without jacking the glider. This makes servicing
quite easy and that seems to be the main reason folks leave it off.
Good luck
UH