Panel lighting

Old March 3rd 04, 06:14 PM
Corky Scott

Default Panel lighting

One of the things I still have to do is install instruments in my
instrument panel. Well another thing is actually get the instruments
too. ;-)

I guess panel lighting isn't the most critical issue I'm dealing with
but I'd like to hear about options. There seem so many choices now
for lighting, what with fiber optics, LED's and luminescent lighting.

One of the options I saw was somehow using clear plastic around each
guage to light it. The actual light bulbs were elsewhere and and
light passed through the plexiglass to shine down on the instrument.

This might end up being too complicated and too heavy but I thought
I'd ask if anyone had done this.

Most of the instruments should come with their own lighting so perhaps
this is a moot subject, but it's worth talking about.

I made a mental note to explore this subject when flying at night in
the C172 trainer. There were several instruments that did not light
up well, even though it was a new airplane.

I doubt I'll make a habit of flying at night but it is still a good
idea to check out the possibilities.

Thanks, Corky Scott

Old March 3rd 04, 09:02 PM
Rich S.

"Corky Scott" wrote in message

One of the options I saw was somehow using clear plastic around each
guage to light it. The actual light bulbs were elsewhere and and
light passed through the plexiglass to shine down on the instrument.

Most aircraft instruments do not come with their own lighting. Most are
intended to be mounted in an aluminum sheet panel with no acrylic between
the bezel and the panel. Having fought this battle, I would either buy post
lighting and be done with it or make my own LED post lighting.

Some points to consider:
1. If acrylic is used between the instruments and the panel, there will be a
parallax "shadow" around the near edge of those instrument not directly in
front of your eyes.
2. Edge lighting does nothing to illuminate switches or anything except
instruments. You will still need "flood" lights.
3. Google up "LED lighting". You will find a jillion lights which can be
mounted on the cockpit sides or glare shield to light up your panel in any
color you want.

You want to build a plane - not spend hours designing or building
behind-the-panel fiberoptic lighting that only does half the job. )

Rich S.

Old March 5th 04, 12:56 AM
nauga

Corky Scott wrote...

I doubt I'll make a habit of flying at night but it is still a good
idea to check out the possibilities.

I don't plan on doing much night flying but wanted the
capability. After pricing lighted instruments and post lights,
I just put a couple of adjustable cockpit floods on the canopy
rail. I figure those and a good-tasting flashlight will
do in a pinch. The only lighted 'instruments' I have are
the avionics and the compass.

Dave 'flashpop' Hyde

RV-4 in flight test (day VFR only)
EAA Technical Counselor

Old March 5th 04, 03:01 PM
Paul Lee

I used 12V lamp like LED's, available from Digi-Key Electronics, part
number: 441-1008-ND. Inexpensive and each can illuminate about
half the panel - and long bulb life.
http://www.abri.com/sq2000/control42.jpg

Paul Lee, SQ2000 project, http://www.abri.com/sq2000/

Old March 6th 04, 12:22 AM
Jay

Thats a cool setup you have there. And the "bulbs" will outlast your
airframe to boot, go ahead and glass 'em in.

(Paul Lee) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Panel Lights Dimmer MII Driver Home Built 3 April 3rd 04 01:56 AM
Aluminum instrument panel finish? Richard Riley Home Built 31 February 4th 04 02:09 AM
Panel Overlay repair Jeff P Home Built 2 January 26th 04 05:23 PM
Online panel design Yoram Leshinski Home Built 3 October 22nd 03 05:32 PM
CAD outline of Rans S6S instrument panel? Rob Turk Home Built 2 October 21st 03 09:27 PM