Anyone here built of familiar with the Cozy?

Old May 16th 05, 03:37 AM
MudFlap

Default Anyone here built of familiar with the Cozy?

Thanks for your reply. I checked out your site. Every time I sit and start checking out other's planes, it makes me want one that much more. Unfortunately, it'll be a while till I can even begin to consider actually purchasing the plans and materials. (Full-time student, wife, 3 kids, National Guard, etc ) Hopefully after I get outta school, I can get a place with a nice big shop to work in. If you had to guesstimate, how much $$$ do you have wrapped up in yer cozy, approx if you don't mind me askin.

I'm the kinda guy who likes to try out new and different things; perhaps that's why the cozy appeals to me. I am going to build my own fuel injection system for my '79 Dodge Power Wagon. I would like to use a different engine, just to try out my own ideas. Perhaps I could adapt my EFI to work on any other engine I choose to use. Check out http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

I like the idea of having a plane that is functional. 200 mph 4-seater appeals to me for that reason. I can't wait to get started.

MudFlap asks:

I've been doing a lot of research and I think I really like the design

of this aircraft.
I've got a very strong mechanical background, and I'm currently going

thru A&P
school. I've never worked with composites, though. Is it really a

plane that
someone without much aircraft or building experience could handle?

Absolutely. There are MANY folks that have built COZY's as their first
aircraft, and when people ask me if they could build one, I ask them two
question:

1) can you read English?
2) do you know which end of a screwdriver to hold onto?

If the answer to both of these questions is "yes", then you have the
tools you need to build this plane. If you're an A&P (or soon will be)
then you're way ahead of the game. Composites are NOT difficult, if you
know how to mix a drink and cut with scissors.

As has been pointed out by another, determining your desired mission is
the first step in picking an aircraft. If you want a high speed
cross-country cruiser, and don't need STOL or aerobatics, the COZY is a
good pick, especially if you want more than 2 seats. It handles great,
cruises fast, and is easy to fly. Landing speeds are higher than the
C-172's and Warriors that many of us have flown, but they're hardly
difficult to deal with. It took me 2 approaches in another COZY to get
the hang of it.

I now have 245 hours in 2.5 years in mine, and I love it. I've been all
over the country in it - S&F twice, OSH twice, and out to Colorado from
Mass.

If you're really interested in getting more information about
building/flying COZY's, I suggest you join the COZY mailing list, which
has about 570 folks on it at the moment. See:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/mail_list/

for info on how to join.

Old May 21st 05, 12:54 PM
Clyde Torres

"MudFlap" wrote in message
[...]

This is really bad advice. You are qualifying idiots to build this high
performance airplane. Your hard sell might result in this experimenter
building an airplane that has too many deviations from plans. This is a
common problem in this newsgroup. Everybody is trying to sell someone on
something they want promoted regardless of safety.

Clyde