RST Audio Panel Legality

Old January 13th 05, 02:07 PM

Default RST Audio Panel Legality

Jim Weir,
See link. Why would the FAA get involved?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9498 097&rd=1
tw

Old January 13th 05, 05:42 PM
John T

The description says the feds busted him for using a non-certified part
in a certified airplane.

John

Old January 13th 05, 09:17 PM
Juan Jimenez

Umm... I would guesstimate he got busted for not having the paperwork that
would allow him to use the part.

Old January 14th 05, 12:30 AM
Juan Jimenez

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Juan Jimenez" wrote:

Umm... I would guesstimate he got busted for not having the paperwork that
would allow him to use the part.

The description says the feds busted him for using a non-certified part
in
a certified airplane.

Presumably he originally intended it to be an "owner-produced" part.

Hmm. Kinda makes you wonder if that could be done with something as
relatively simple as an audio panel...

Old January 14th 05, 01:38 AM
RST Engineering

From the very first sentence that the guy wrote:

"I had this Audio Panel assembled by a professional. He charged $100.00 but
said it ended up taking 40 hours.The work inside is first class."

Reading that sentence, can you POSSIBLY construe "owner built part" from the
process? He PAID somebody to do the work that the owner was supposed to do
himself. We are VERY CLEAR that the owner of the aircraft must do the
assembly or the part cannot be legally installed on a certificated airplane.

Now, 504 hasn't been produced for almost ten years. Without a serial, the
unit might possibly be 20 years old or so. So for ten to twenty annuals,
this guy has been just fine, and all of a sudden the FAA "busts" him? I
think there is more to the story than this.

Not only that, but he then hires some amateur sparky that knifes off the
connections INSIDE the audio panel when all he had to do is simply
disconnect three nylon connectors? Wait a minnit...this one smells fishy.
I remember fifteen years ago or thereabouts some idiot sending me back an
audio panel that he had made "better" by some convoluted connector scheme
that couldn't have been undone by Houdini. We sent that one back with a
note that we didn't consider this an airworthy modification and that we
wanted no part of the product. I don't know that this is that unit, but the
time frame and reason for unairworthiness may somehow be connected.

However, he is correct that at this time this is NOT a certified or
certifiable part under 21.303(b)(2) as an owner produced part and is only
good for an experimental aircraft. And if anybody wants to start "splicing"
30 or so small gauge wires to make this sucker work, more power to you.

Youse guyzes have to start learning how the game is played...and out of ten
thousand RST audio panels out in the field, for one guy to goof up and not
follow directions doesn't speak too poorly of us.

Jim

ups.com...

Old January 14th 05, 12:39 PM

Now, 504 hasn't been produced for almost ten years. Without a

serial, the
unit might possibly be 20 years old or so. So for ten to twenty

annuals,
this guy has been just fine, and all of a sudden the FAA "busts" him?

think there is more to the story than this.

Thanks for the response(s). So what happens when the aircraft gets
sold and there's a new owner. Is the installation grandfathered? What
would have prevented this guy from just saying, "I" built it and "I"
obviously did a good job as it's worked perfectly for x number of years.

Old January 14th 05, 02:33 PM
Juan Jimenez

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
From the very first sentence that the guy wrote:

"I had this Audio Panel assembled by a professional. He charged $100.00
but said it ended up taking 40 hours.The work inside is first class."

Reading that sentence, can you POSSIBLY construe "owner built part" from
the process? He PAID somebody to do the work that the owner was supposed
to do himself. We are VERY CLEAR that the owner of the aircraft must do
the assembly or the part cannot be legally installed on a certificated
airplane.

Owner-produced doesn't mean "owner assembled" or "owner manufactured." My
understanding is that the FAR that allows this doesn't specify the owner has
to do the construction and/or assembly.

Old January 14th 05, 05:10 PM
RST Engineering

Thanks for the response(s). So what happens when the aircraft gets
sold and there's a new owner. Is the installation grandfathered?

The same answer as to what happens when an aircraft is sold with an STC'd
part on it. Does the new owner have to go to the STC holder and apply for a
new STC? No, once the part is installed as approved, who owns the airplane
from that point on is immaterial. The approval goes with the PART, not the
owner.

What
would have prevented this guy from just saying, "I" built it and "I"
obviously did a good job as it's worked perfectly for x number of years.

He made the cardinal mistake when dealing with the FAA...he told the truth.

As to those who say that parts can be made by taking your design down and
having it built by the local machine shop, you are correct. However, YOU
had a hand in making the design and convincing your mechanic/IA that the
part would be airworthy as-built. However, in this case, the feller took MY
design down and asked another person to build it. That makes the feller
just a conduit from me to the actual manufacturer. I'd have a hard time
looking the Feds in the eye and saying that "I" built it under this
scenario.

Jim

Old January 15th 05, 02:11 AM
Dale Alexander

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

He made the cardinal mistake when dealing with the FAA...he told the

truth.

Jim

Careful Jim, that'll come back and haunt you the next time you run for
Governor...

Dale Alexander

Old January 15th 05, 04:25 AM
RST Engineering

If ever I have to watch what I say when it is what I believe from my heart,
then I don't need the goddamned job.

Besides the NEXT round against Aahnold is a hell of a lot more than a $3500
filing fee...although just for grins I might consider it...especially if
SiliconeBoobs Carey runs again {;-)

Jim