$640.00 to fill the tanks...

Old August 17th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default $640.00 to fill the tanks...

We are bound by state law to take everybody from the class valedictorian to
the functionally illiterate that still get a high school diploma.

Jim

True. But that aside, the fact is if you are not able to get accepted
to a university, the community college system will take you.

-Robert

Old August 17th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Why is it bizarre? Take a look at statewide stats and you will find that
folks transferring out of 2 year institutions into 4 year schools do better
grade point wise than those going straight into 4 year schools out of high
school.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade my 4 years at San Diego State for
anything, but when somebody asks me to name the best four teachers I had in
college, three of the four come from Grossmost Community College and one
from San Diego State.

Jim

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

Oh, so smart ones don't just hop right into a university out of high
school? That's a bizarre way of thinking, but if it makes the community
college people feel better, it's ok, I guess.

Old August 17th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:43:57 -0500, Emily
wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:
I beg to differ. I am a product of CSU-San Diego and teach at Sierra
Community College in Rocklin and Grass Valley. The smart ones go to the CCS
to get their lower division classes at $24 a semester unit and, upon
graduation with a B average, a

Oh, so smart ones don't just hop right into a university out of high
school? That's a bizarre way of thinking, but if it makes the community
college people feel better, it's ok, I guess.

Well, either way, you can graduate with a degree from UC Berkeley, but
one way you saved $40,000. I think that's what Jim meant by
"smarter."

Don
Old August 17th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

..Blueskies. wrote:
"george" wrote in message ps.com...
:
: Jay Honeck wrote:
: Tony Snow, "technical advisor" for our aviation video webpage (Tony is
: retired RAF, and has forgotten more about aviation than I'll ever
: know), confirmed for me today that it would cost $640+ for me to top
: off Atlas -- our Cherokee Pathfinder -- in Great Britain.
:
: Imagine! $640 to go fly! This *might* explain why there are only 9
: registered Cherokee 235s in all of Britain, no?
:
: Not to worry, however. Tony has confirmed that the streets in his
: hometown *are* paved with gold, and that everyone eats steak daily, for
: free, thanks to the taxes those remaining 9 pilots are paying...
:
: Petrol here is $7.92 (NZ) per gallon.
: AFAIK we don't have any Pathfinders :-)
:

Are those Imperial gallons or are they US gallons?

The translation was litres to Imperial gallons.
Is there any other sort :-)

Old August 17th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Emily wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:

I beg to differ. I am a product of CSU-San Diego and teach at Sierra
Community College in Rocklin and Grass Valley. The smart ones go to
the CCS to get their lower division classes at $24 a semester unit
and, upon graduation with a B average, a

Oh, so smart ones don't just hop right into a university out of high
school? That's a bizarre way of thinking, but if it makes the community
college people feel better, it's ok, I guess.

Well, it takes money in addition to smarts to attend the expensive schools.

Matt
Old August 17th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:
I beg to differ. I am a product of CSU-San Diego and teach at Sierra
Community College in Rocklin and Grass Valley. The smart ones go to the CCS
to get their lower division classes at $24 a semester unit and, upon
graduation with a B average, a

Oh, so smart ones don't just hop right into a university out of high
school? That's a bizarre way of thinking, but if it makes the community
college people feel better, it's ok, I guess.

Well, either way, you can graduate with a degree from UC Berkeley, but
one way you saved $40,000. I think that's what Jim meant by
"smarter."

Who says that a person who went to a university for four years paid for
all of it?

Personally, I'm glad I never went to a community college. Way too easy
to not complete a four year degree. And let's face it, most employers
aren't happy with an associates.
Old August 17th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

Robert M. Gary wrote:

If you can afford to fly, you are paying for your health care
whether you live in the U.S. or in Europe. In Europe you give
the gov't money to pay for your healthcare, in the U.S. you
give the insurance company money to pay for your healthcare.

And if you live in the UK and have a good job, you're paying twice over
because your employer will also provide you with private medical
coverage to make up for the fact that the socialized medical care sucks
except in certain limited circumstances.

Mike Granby
(Ex-Brit living in Pa.)

Old August 17th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

RST Engineering wrote:
Why is it bizarre? Take a look at statewide stats and you will find that
folks transferring out of 2 year institutions into 4 year schools do better
grade point wise than those going straight into 4 year schools out of high
school.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade my 4 years at San Diego State for
anything, but when somebody asks me to name the best four teachers I had in
college, three of the four come from Grossmost Community College and one
from San Diego State.

Strange. I took a few management classes at the largest community
college in the nation a few years ago - just for kicks, because I had
too much free time. Both instructors were terrible and nowhere near the
caliber I was used to from my college. Not to mention the other
students. I was scared I'd fail a drug test from sitting in the same
room as them.
Old August 17th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AES

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Show me who qualifies for medicaid and can afford to fly at the same
time.

If you can afford to fly, you are paying for your health care whether
you live in the U.S. or in Europe. In Europe you give the gov't money
to pay for your healthcare, in the U.S. you give the insurance company
money to pay for your healthcare.
In both cases, if you don't have money, the gov't picks up the tab.
-Robert

I wonder if the final sentence above is true. If you've had any close
encounters with hospital bills lately, you have to be dismayed at what
seem to be the "way up there" costs or charges for every little aspect
of that part of the healthcare system. I have to suspect that somehow,
the charges on those who can pay are driven up by the hospital's legal
requirement to provide walk-in care without reimbursement for those who
can't, or won't -- and it shows up in _our_ payments, whether for direct
care or for insurance.
Old August 17th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"AES" wrote

I wonder if the final sentence above is true. If you've had any close
encounters with hospital bills lately, you have to be dismayed at what
seem to be the "way up there" costs or charges for every little aspect
of that part of the healthcare system. I have to suspect that somehow,
the charges on those who can pay are driven up by the hospital's legal
requirement to provide walk-in care without reimbursement for those who
can't, or won't -- and it shows up in _our_ payments, whether for direct
care or for insurance.

Around half your bill is someone else's bill.
--
Jim in NC