Magellan 315 GPS

Old August 16th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John

Default Magellan 315 GPS

Hi everyone,

I have a an older model magellan 315 GPS that I purchased on EBAY. It
is a simple unit, but I had one that fit the bill for simple VFR flying
a few years ago. I have the Data Send CD from a few years ago, but I
find that it will only run on the old Windows 98 operating system. I
now have Windows XP and it doesn't seem to want to load the DataSend
application and download the FAA waypoints into the GPS.

I guess what I need is the aviation version of the Magellan GPS 315.
Can anyone help me, or provide me with, with the software which runs on
Windows XP to convert this simple unit to the aviation version?

Thanks !

John

Old August 16th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi everyone,

I have a an older model magellan 315 GPS that I purchased on EBAY. It
is a simple unit, but I had one that fit the bill for simple VFR flying
a few years ago. I have the Data Send CD from a few years ago, but I
find that it will only run on the old Windows 98 operating system. I
now have Windows XP and it doesn't seem to want to load the DataSend
application and download the FAA waypoints into the GPS.

I guess what I need is the aviation version of the Magellan GPS 315.
Can anyone help me, or provide me with, with the software which runs on
Windows XP to convert this simple unit to the aviation version?

Thanks !

John

Windows XP has a compatability mode that may help you. I've never used it,
but I believe you can run Windows XP in Windows 98 mode so that software
will run. Someone here will know how to use it.
Crash Lander

Old August 16th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Crash Lander" wrote in message
Windows XP has a compatability mode that may help you. I've never used it,
but I believe you can run Windows XP in Windows 98 mode so that software
will run. Someone here will know how to use it.

The "compatibility mode" is a setting on a program's shortcut. The easiest
way to test it is to copy the existing shortcut (usually from the Start
menu) to the desktop and fiddle with it there.

You use the mode by opening the shortcut properties, and selecting the
"Compatibility" tab. In there, you can adjust how Windows XP handles the
program, including causing it to attempt to emulate an earlier version of
Windows. Note that your exact results will vary from program to program;
it's impossible for XP to perfectly emulate earlier versions of Windows, and
so not every OS compatibility issue can be solved this way.

Note also that not every issue that involves old software on new operating
systems is really an API compatibility issue. A common problem is for a
program to want to be run as an administrator. Without knowing exactly what
"it doesn't seem to want to load the DataSend application" means (not like
that's a technical problem description or anything ), it's hard to say
what exactly might be wrong. But it might be worth using the "Run As..."
menu option for the shortcut: right-click on the shortcut, in the Start menu
or wherever it is, choose the "Run As..." option, and then provide the
correct administrator password in the dialog that appears.

If "Run As..." solves the problem, you can set the shortcut to always
present the login dialog by opening the shortcut properties, selecting the
"Shortcut" tab, clicking the "Advanced..." button, and selecting the "Run
with different credentials" checkbox.

If it's an issue with the program wanting you to be administrator, there are
other ways to get these kinds of programs to run as well even without an
administrator user, but they involve more complicated steps, such as
reducing the security settings on that program's install directory or
registry entries. These are harder to do, but since running the program as
a different user results in the program defaulting to using that different
user's profile and documents directory (which may require you to do a bunch
more clicking to get back to where your data actually is or should be), you
may find it easier in the long run to use these other methods so that you
can run it using your regular user(s).

Of course, the problem could have nothing to do with either of the above
issues. As I mentioned, without a precise problem description, it's pretty
hard to say. The statement "it will only run on the old Windows 98
operating system" implies it could be one of the above issues, but the
following text in the original post makes other implications (such as the
software provided simply doesn't understand the FAA data formats, or that
the GPS itself might not be suitable for this purpose). This Usenet article
is worth what you paid for it.

Pete

Old August 16th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Karl-Heinz Kuenzel

John,

I have a DATASEND Ver. 2.00 which runs without any
special settings on my WIN XP.

Maybe yours is an older version??

Karl
Old August 16th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John

Thanks for all of your responses. I am starting to think that my
DataSend CD is corrupted after a few years of non-use, and I may have
to buy another copy. Anyone out there with an extra copy of this
fairly old and out-dated software?

Thanks,

John

Old August 16th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"John" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks for all of your responses. I am starting to think that my
DataSend CD is corrupted after a few years of non-use, and I may have
to buy another copy. Anyone out there with an extra copy of this
fairly old and out-dated software?

For what it's worth, the likelihood of your CD becoming corrupted in a way
that is not detected by your PC is *extremely* low. It is true that CDs can
degrade, but a) it's unusual for them to do so (especially for stamped CDs
such as a retail copy of the software that I presume you have), and b) if
they do, what happens is that the CD becomes unreadable and you would not be
able to attempt to install the software in the first place.

If you really think you need a new copy of the software, it appears that you
can get it used for about $30 (eBay etc.). However, I doubt there's
anything actually wrong with the software you have now, and I'm dubious that
if you can't get it to work that you'll have better success with a different
copy of the same software.

Pete

Old August 17th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Thanks for all of your responses. I am starting to think that my
DataSend CD is corrupted after a few years of non-use, and I may have
to buy another copy. Anyone out there with an extra copy of this
fairly old and out-dated software?

What may have happened is that updates to the system may have rendered
it incompatible with what used to be perfectly good software. Another
copy of the original software won't fix that.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.