Headsets and ANR

Old June 28th 05, 12:34 AM
Luke Scharf

Luke Scharf wrote:
I'm thinking about upgrading my Sigtronics S-20 headset. Right now, I'm
considering the Lightspeed QFR SOLOc and Lightspeed QFR XCc (with ANR).

Many thanks for your all's input!

I think I'm going to go with the ANR headset -- although the Clarity
Aloft (and similar) headsets are intriguing.

-Luke
Old June 28th 05, 08:42 AM
Thomas Borchert

M,

From a hearing protection's
perspective a good passive headset is more than enough to reduce the
noise to a level that's not harmful to hearing.

Uhm, some people have different opinions.

The cabin noise level
in my Grumman Traveler is around 91 db at high power cruise. A 21db
reduction drops it down to 70db and it's a very safe noise level for
100hr a year.

At what frequency?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 4th 05, 11:00 PM
Luke Scharf

Luke Scharf wrote:
I think I'm going to go with the ANR headset -- although the Clarity
Aloft (and similar) headsets are intriguing.

I've been looking at the Clarity Aloft and also the Lightspeed L1 now.

The Clarity Aloft doesn't seem to have the cellphone interface. Is that
correct?

Also, has anyone flown the L1 in a typical GA aircraft? I fly a Cessna
150 most of the time now, although I also ride around in Cherokees and
plan to fly some high performance aircraft at the first chance. Is it
appropriate for that kind of usage?

Thanks,
-Luke
Old July 5th 05, 08:39 AM
Thomas Borchert

Luke,

I've been looking at the Clarity Aloft and also the Lightspeed L1 now.

Aviation Consumer has, too. Don't know if you have access, but the
bottom line is to wait at least until Osh. New versions coming out with
major improvements, it seems.

--
Thomas

Old July 5th 05, 02:42 PM
Mitty

The mic on The LI is positioned only by the friction of the ear bud and the
overall construction is not impressive. Possibly they will have an improved
model at OSH. If not, I don't think you would prefer it in a side-by-side
comparison.

A cellphone interface is, I think, coming from Clarity. I suggest you email them
to check.

Old July 8th 05, 07:46 AM
Roger

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:00:53 -0400, Luke Scharf
wrote:

Luke Scharf wrote:
I think I'm going to go with the ANR headset -- although the Clarity
Aloft (and similar) headsets are intriguing.

There is no cmparrison between passive and ANRs. I've been using the
same old Telex headset from the early days.

Flying small prop planes I would not want anything that did not have
full ear coverage like the passive, but with ANR added.

I went along in the right seat of a twin wearing one of those little
headsets. I was supposed to handle the radios and we were going dual
pilot IFR. I basically ended up as a passenger as I could not hear a
thing ATC said.

I had my Telex set in the bag headed for the airplane, but threw them
back in the car when told I wouldn't need them. Big mistake.

I'd like the new Bose stereo capable head set.

I've been looking at the Clarity Aloft and also the Lightspeed L1 now.

The Clarity Aloft doesn't seem to have the cellphone interface. Is that
correct?

I can't imagine wanting a cell phone interface in the head set.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old July 8th 05, 03:25 PM
Mitty

On 7/8/2005 1:46 AM, Roger wrote the following:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:00:53 -0400, Luke Scharf

Flying small prop planes I would not want anything that did not have full ear
coverage like the passive, but with ANR added.

You like hot & sweaty ears?

I went along in the right seat of a twin wearing one of those little
headsets. I was supposed to handle the radios and we were going dual pilot
IFR. I basically ended up as a passenger as I could not hear a thing ATC
said.

Roger, you surprise me. You are usually far too logical to leap from one sample
to such abroad conclusion. The "little headset" may have been bad, but my
Clarity set has better attenuation than the ANRs in almost the whole spectrum.
Try one. The audio quality and sound attenuation will amaze you. You may even
lose your fondness for sweaty ears and for placing weights on your head while
flying.

I can't imagine wanting a cell phone interface in the head set.

I can. I have the phone numbers for the ATC centers on my clipboard and having a
cell phone aboard is on my checklist. If the radios go out, I'll just call in to
discuss the situation. I can't legally test this plan, but it seems likely to
work. Cell is also nice for clearances from fss at un-towered airports.
Old July 8th 05, 11:30 PM
Stan Gosnell

Mitty wrote in
:

On 7/8/2005 1:46 AM, Roger wrote the following:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:00:53 -0400, Luke Scharf

Flying small prop planes I would not want anything that did not have
full ear coverage like the passive, but with ANR added.

You like hot & sweaty ears?

I like having hearing protection, especially for high-frequency stuff
which ANR doesn't protect against, when (not if) the ANR portion fails.
I, too, won't even consider a headset that doesn't have good passive
protection. It's your hearing, though, so use what you want.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Old July 9th 05, 12:20 AM
Mitty

On 7/8/2005 5:30 PM, Stan Gosnell wrote the following:
Mitty wrote in
:

On 7/8/2005 1:46 AM, Roger wrote the following:

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:00:53 -0400, Luke Scharf

Flying small prop planes I would not want anything that did not have
full ear coverage like the passive, but with ANR added.

You like hot & sweaty ears?

I like having hearing protection, especially for high-frequency stuff
which ANR doesn't protect against, when (not if) the ANR portion fails.
I, too, won't even consider a headset that doesn't have good passive
protection. It's your hearing, though, so use what you want.

I'm not quite sure why this has gotten to be such an extended discussion, but
I'm also not sure of your point. The Clarity set has exactly what you want --
high attenuation especially in the higher frequencies. Check page 17 of their
owner manual: http://clarityaloft.com/6_ClarityAloft_OwnersGd.pdf

So if your point is that you need big muffs to get good attenuation, that is
incorrect. (In fact, logic would lead me to conclude that a good seal in the
ear canal is easier to make than a large one encompassing hair, glasses bows,
irregular head shape, etc.)

Whether the LightSpeed set also has high attenuation, I don't know. My friend
who is the president of Clarity tells me that their performance is due to the
unique ear tip design and materials, which are covered by several patents. But
then he's the chief salesman, too. :-) What I do know is that the product
works far better than the Softcomm ANR sets that I have and that I did not
hesitate to write the big check after flying with them on a demo.
Old July 9th 05, 05:06 PM
Paul Lynch

People often forget the old Telex "Professional" models that do not have ear
cups but an earplug that has a tube that conducts the radio/ICS sound. It
normally comes with a single earpiece that makes you think it only works in
quiet cockpits. I ordered the dual ear tips (about 5 dollars). The noise
suppression matches the 3 different ANR headsets I have owned, and the
headset is significantly lighter and more comfortable.

Paul