Getting to the other side of KMIA from the Keys

Old June 30th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Getting to the other side of KMIA from the Keys

On 27 Jun 2006 12:31:21 -0700, wrote:

Hi Kirk,

I just moved away from south FL, but I used to do this trip often from
LNA (west palm beach) to either MTH or EYW. Going down to the Keys,
I'd just pick up flight following from Palm Beach and continue on down
the coast. Ft. Lauderdale appch keeps you a little low and off the
coast (500 ft AGL and 1 mi), but it's really not a big deal. Pretty
cool scenery from that level actually, if you catch my drift.

Not sure why that other guy said MIA is unwilling to deal with VFR.
I've had just the opposite experience. They are very friendly and
willing to work with you, just don't act like a goofball. In other
words, engage your brain before you speak and make it to the point.
Not that hard.

As far as experience, I first did that trip when I was a freshly minted
PPL in 2004 with around 65 hrs total. It was not a problem.

The only things I would pay attention to a
-Call ahead to the FBO at EYW. There's only one there and they can get
packed. Make sure there's room for you to park.

-Make sure you are flexible on time. I almost got stuck there when
some storms moved in unexpectedly. Of course, being FL the wx changed
quickly and I got out a couple hours later.

When you come back, the preferred routing is to fly east along the keys
again (for safety) until Key Biscane, then east of Miami beach, then
request an overhead transition over FLL. Continue on to Palm Beach,
and they'll usually hook you up w/ flight following all the way north
to wherever (via Miami center).

Hopefully you guys end up doing the trip. It's really fun, very
beautiful, and will be a great learning experience. If you have more
questions let me know here and I can tell you more via email.

Sam

Thanks Sam. We are really looking forward to the trip. Can't wait. Now
we just have to talk the FBO into letting us keep their Archer III
overnight. We are really spoiled by the A/C now after spending so much
time baking in the Warriors.
Old June 30th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

FlipSide wrote:

Thanks Sam. We are really looking forward to the trip. Can't wait. Now
we just have to talk the FBO into letting us keep their Archer III
overnight. We are really spoiled by the A/C now after spending so much
time baking in the Warriors.

Awesome, can't wait to hear about the trip!! FYI, if you can't get in
to EYW, you might want to check out MTH. It's a great place and it was
a lot cheaper and friendlier than EYW.