Jet Seaplanes???

Old August 21st 04, 12:06 PM
Roy Smith

Default Jet Seaplanes???

The NY Times web site every day highlights a historical front page
article from today's date in an earlier year. Today's is from August
21, 1959, when Hawaii became the 50th state.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/gene.../0821.html?dpc

But, what really caught my eye is another headline reading, "Navy Drops
Jet Seaplanes; Program Cost 400 Million". I can barely make out the
sub-headline, but I think it reads, "9 of the 14 Craft Ordered Have Been
Delivered. 'Technical Difficulties' Called Factor in Cancellation."
The text of the article is unreadable.

Jet Seaplanes? Sounds kind of neat. Anybody know anything more about
these?
Old August 21st 04, 12:44 PM
Bob Noel

In article , Roy Smith
wrote:

[snip]
Jet Seaplanes? Sounds kind of neat. Anybody know anything more about
these?

Not me, but on a related note I believe the History channel did
a show about Soviet jet seaplanes. IIRC these were operational
and even used in firefighting.

--
Bob Noel
Seen on Kerry's campaign airplane: "the real deal"
Old August 21st 04, 02:51 PM
Gilles KERMARC

Bob Noel wrote:

IIRC these were operational

Don't speak about them in the past :

http://www.beriev.com/eng/home_e.html

Old August 21st 04, 04:32 PM
Dale

Take a peek he http://www.taliaferro.net/waltermiddy/page3.html

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old August 21st 04, 05:11 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 07:06:58 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

http://www.aviation-history.com/martin/p6m.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P6M_SeaMaster

Old August 21st 04, 09:24 PM
leslie

:
: http://www.nytimes.com/learning/gene.../0821.html?dpc
:
: But, what really caught my eye is another headline reading, "Navy Drops
: Jet Seaplanes; Program Cost 400 Million". I can barely make out the
: sub-headline, but I think it reads, "9 of the 14 Craft Ordered Have Been
: Delivered. 'Technical Difficulties' Called Factor in Cancellation."
: The text of the article is unreadable.
:
: Jet Seaplanes? Sounds kind of neat. Anybody know anything more about
: these?
:

The U.S. Navy had two jet sea plane programs, the Convair XF2Y-1 Seadart,
and the Martin P6M-2 Seamaster flying boat:

http://www.strange-mecha.com/aircraft/J-Sea/J-Sea.htm
Jet Sea Plane & Jet Flying Boat PAGE

http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avcmast.html
The Martin SeaMaster & Convair Sea Dart

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old August 23rd 04, 08:16 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

Jet Seaplanes? Sounds kind of neat. Anybody know anything more about
these?

Over the weekend I watched a LOT of float plane traffic at the Victoria
Harbour (for some pics, one outfit is http://www.harbour-air.com/). They
had everything from Cessnas on amphibs to Beavers and Twin Otters. It
must be a booming business -- at one point the line of arrivals on
downwind looked like an international airport. The twin Otter in the
lead had to circle while a Beaver departed and then had to go around
when one of the little ferries darted into the touchdown zone.

If there's anything bigger than a Twin Otter I'm surprised they don't have
any!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 23rd 04, 11:29 AM
Gilles KERMARC

Ben Jackson wrote:

If there's anything bigger than a Twin Otter I'm surprised they don't have
any!

Like this ?
http://www.canadair415.com/

or that ?