[Avionics] GI106 compulsory with GNS530 ?

Old September 11th 04, 02:24 PM
PA34 F-GFTF

Default [Avionics] GI106 compulsory with GNS530 ?

Hello,

We plan to overhaul the panel of our good old PA34 Seneca.
Unfortunately, the 2 workshops from whom we requested a quote disagree :
- one says the GNS530 we're buying can work with one of the 2 VOR/ILS
indicators currently in the plane (these are "KI something", one connected
to a KX165 and the other to a KX175B).
- the other mechanics asserts we have to buy the specific VOR/ILS indicator
from Garmin (GI 106A).

The additionnal cost is not that big (still a little more than 1K$ on a
total 30K overhaul), but I feel one of the 2 has to be wrong, and I'd rather
give this work to a competent guy.

Anybody faced this problem before when installing a GNS430 or 530 ? Is the
GI106A compulsory to function properly with it ?

Thx
--
YAG

Old September 11th 04, 05:34 PM
Maik

You can use also the KI206 and the KI209A without problems. (GPS and
VOR/LOC/GS)

But the GI106A is the nicer and newer unit with integrated annunciators.

You can also use the KI204 and others but only for the VOR/LOC/GS part.
NOT for GPS indication!

If you want a IFR ready installation both (GPS and VOR/LOC/GS must work!!

I would go with the GI106A.

The best would be that you let them explain why they want to use the old
or new indicators and maybe ask for reference customers.

Maik
M20J

Old September 12th 04, 02:37 PM
Juan Jimenez

"PA34 F-GFTF" wrote in
:

Hello,

We plan to overhaul the panel of our good old PA34 Seneca.
Unfortunately, the 2 workshops from whom we requested a quote disagree
: - one says the GNS530 we're buying can work with one of the 2
VOR/ILS indicators currently in the plane (these are "KI something",
one connected to a KX165 and the other to a KX175B).
- the other mechanics asserts we have to buy the specific VOR/ILS
indicator from Garmin (GI 106A).

The additionnal cost is not that big (still a little more than 1K$ on
a total 30K overhaul), but I feel one of the 2 has to be wrong, and
I'd rather give this work to a competent guy.

Anybody faced this problem before when installing a GNS430 or 530 ? Is
the GI106A compulsory to function properly with it ?

Thx

If you requested an IFR-certified installation of the 530, they may be
telling you to use 106's because of the requirement to have the mode
annunciators. You could use your existing KI indicators but you would then
have to install a separate annunciator module. Garmin went well out of its
way to ensure that their units work with most cdi's on GA aircraft.

Old September 14th 04, 01:38 AM
PA34 F-GFTF

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
"PA34 F-GFTF" wrote in
:

Hello,

We plan to overhaul the panel of our good old PA34 Seneca.
Unfortunately, the 2 workshops from whom we requested a quote disagree
: - one says the GNS530 we're buying can work with one of the 2
VOR/ILS indicators currently in the plane (these are "KI something",
one connected to a KX165 and the other to a KX175B).
- the other mechanics asserts we have to buy the specific VOR/ILS
indicator from Garmin (GI 106A).

If you requested an IFR-certified installation of the 530, they may be
telling you to use 106's because of the requirement to have the mode
annunciators. You could use your existing KI indicators but you would then
have to install a separate annunciator module. Garmin went well out of its
way to ensure that their units work with most cdi's on GA aircraft.

You're right. Actually the one proposing to reuse our existing CDI added an
"MD41" annunciator.
From a technical standpoint, I understand I'll get a more integrated use of
a GI106 coupled with the GNS530.
From a price standpoint, the additionnal cost of the GI106 (around 500? vs
the MD41) will certainly be offset by reselling the previous CDI unit.
I'll go for this new CDI then.

Thx for your help.
--
YAG

Old September 14th 04, 04:32 AM
Juan Jimenez

"PA34 F-GFTF" wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, that is what I was talking about.

From a technical standpoint, I understand I'll get a more integrated
use of a GI106 coupled with the GNS530.

Well... yes, in the sense that you save yourself the cost and panel space
required for the separate annunciator, but the cost of the 106 offsets the
savings, more than likely. From a technical standpoint the end result is
the same, except that the annunciator is usually placed at eye-level on the
panel (or as far up on the panel as possible), whereas the 106 has a flag
and doesn't get your attention the way an annunciator does, assuming
typical panel placement of a CDI. Whether or not this is a factor in the
decision is a matter of personal taste, I suppose...

From a price standpoint, the additionnal cost of the GI106 (around
500? vs the MD41) will certainly be offset by reselling the previous
CDI unit. I'll go for this new CDI then.

Thx for your help.

You're welcome, glad to be of help.

Juan

Old September 14th 04, 04:07 PM
Jerry Kaidor

Maik wrote in message ...
You can use also the KI206 and the KI209A without problems. (GPS and
VOR/LOC/GS)

But the GI106A is the nicer and newer unit with integrated annunciators.

You can also use the KI204 and others but only for the VOR/LOC/GS part.
NOT for GPS indication!

*** Not true. A galvanometer-type indicator, such as a KI206, will
work for VOR/LOC/GS and GPS on these units. No switch box is needed.

I installed a GNS430 in my certificated airplane, got all the
paperwork signed off by the FSDO, my IA, and a local avionics Repair
Station. All that was required besides the 430 and the indicator (
KNI-520 ) was a "MSG" light,
mounted on the panel next to the indicator.

The indicator doesn't know the difference between VOR/LOC and GPS
drive
from the radio - it's the same voltages. Only the source is switched,
INSIDE THE RADIO. Garmin avoided the need for an external VOR/GPS
annunciator by putting the annunciation - on the display - right above
the switch that selects the source.

Still, it's awful nice to have some sort of VOR/GPS annunciation
right next to the indicator. Otherwise, it's really REALLY easy to
fly off into the sunset, navigating on the wrong system, having
forgotten to check what my DE - at the instrument checkride - called
the "Killme switch" on the 430.

- Jerry Kaidor ( )
Old September 14th 04, 06:24 PM
Maik

Jerry Kaidor wrote:

Maik wrote in message ...

You can use also the KI206 and the KI209A without problems. (GPS and
VOR/LOC/GS)

But the GI106A is the nicer and newer unit with integrated annunciators.

You can also use the KI204 and others but only for the VOR/LOC/GS part.
NOT for GPS indication!

*** Not true. A galvanometer-type indicator, such as a KI206, will
work for VOR/LOC/GS and GPS on these units. No switch box is needed.

That is what I wrote.