Mystery of crashed glider in Arizona

Old December 9th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Mystery of crashed glider in Arizona

On Dec 8, 4:24*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Dec 8, 5:18*pm, Mike wrote:

On Dec 8, 4:50*pm, David wrote:

I does look somewhat like the Edelweiss, except that the Edelweiss was
a standard class, no flaps. *Perhaps this was an alien (i.e. Roswell
type) modification.

David Martin

Also the Edelweiss was a mostly wood ship, except for the ailerons.

My first guess was the Edelweiss also, then I saw the flaps and
notieced that it was not shredded wood on the wings, but paint and
filler.

The C34 I believe had flaps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10983301@N06/2954270888/

Yes but I think the C34 also had top and bottom spoilers. And unless
my eyes are being fooled thre are no spoilers in the photos Mike
linked to.

See http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/209736.html

Darryl
Old December 9th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Lamont

On 8 Dec, 20:10, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:24*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:

On Dec 8, 5:18*pm, Mike wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:50*pm, David wrote:

Could it be a Prue?

http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/Pl....cfm?PlaneID=1
Old December 9th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

At our airfield we have three "V" Schreder designs (a HP-11, a HP-14 and several HP-18s undergoing restoration.) I own the HP-14.

I am sure the tailcone and ruddervators are from a Schreder kit. Notice that the tail-feathers control surfaces are hinged on the top at 50% of the chord leaving a large gap on the bottom side. The mass balance design is the same. Finally ruddervators fold for trailering and can fold past the vertical like all Schreder "V" tails. (The past the vertical fold causes problems with which I am all too familiar.)

Are there any other "V" tail glider designs which match the above description? If so, do the wing have large span flaps and no spoilers?

As I stated before, there is nothing HP about the wing spar, or steel tube structure associated with the landing gear.

There are several one-of-a-kind gliders, some still flying, that were built using parts purchased from Dick Schreder. I think this wreck is one of them.

BTW, I think Bob K knows more then he is telling us.

Wayne
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

"Darryl Ramm" wrote in message ...
On Dec 8, 3:22 pm, Junior Team 2007
wrote:
Come on guys, it's got to be an Edelweiss!

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...0Edelweiss.jpg

Mike Westbrook

I don't think it is an Edelweiss, flaps and no top surface spoilers
being one issue as others have mentioned.

But if it is French, I will be outraged and will demand to know what
the SSA is doing about its 3,000 hour inspection!

Darryl
Old December 9th 09, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

BTW, I think Bob K knows more then he is telling us.

I think so too. Bob's earlier speculation on the wing construction
matches precisely what I observed.

Tell us, please Bob.

Old December 9th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 8, 5:38*pm, Scott Lamont wrote:
On 8 Dec, 20:10, Darryl Ramm wrote: On Dec 8, 4:24*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:

On Dec 8, 5:18*pm, Mike wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:50*pm, David wrote:

Could it be a Prue?

*http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/Pl....cfm?PlaneID=1

The Prue 215 was short winged at 12.2m, this looks longer. The nose is
different, the wing is lower mounted than the Prue 215 (got to imagine
a turtledeck added to the wreck), the tail boom looks thinner than a
215 etc.

In additon to the sailplane directory, we can also now make use of the
Soaring Magazine archives John Leibacher and Kathleen Taylor put
together. See http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...962_issue.html
for a cover photo, and in a separate issue an article and back cover
illustration of a Prue 215.

Darryl
Old December 9th 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

Well, someone knows the story, because it was stripped clean after it
was totaled.

It does like HP'ish to me so my guess is an early HP?

Old December 9th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Dec 8, 8:52*pm, tstock wrote:
Well, someone knows the story, because it was stripped clean after it
was totaled.

It does like HP'ish to me so my guess is an early HP?

I do not think it is an early HP. The fuse is very low profile for a
60's HP. The v-tails also seem too high aspect ratio.
Old December 9th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

I did have a tape measure with me as my son and I were out measuring
desert strips at the time. The span is 15m. The wing skin is
fiberglass. It had solid foam in the forward D tube and the spar was
riveted aluminum. HP gliders and Irv Prue gliders were metal, metal
and metal. At this point, I am pretty confident that Wayne Paul and
Bob Kuykendall are the guys that are on the right track here. I think
the tail cone and tail feathers are borrowed from an HP and it is a
one of glider.

Bob knew the internal construction without seeing it. Is Bob the
builder of this glider? If so, he is likely feeling sad to see her
now in such a state.
Old December 9th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"tstock" wrote in message ...
Well, someone knows the story, because it was stripped clean after it
was totaled.

It does like HP'ish to me so my guess is an early HP?

Don't think so.

HP-7,8,9 (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/history.html#HP7)
HP-10 (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-10/N25D/N25D.htm)
HP-11 (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-11/N14GP.htm)
HP-12 (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...1DR/N841DR.htm)
HP-13 (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP.../N2YB/N2YB.htm)
HP-14 (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...13G/N1113G.htm)
mine has extended ruddervators.
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...P-14_6F_5a.jpg)
HP-15 (http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/Pl...fm?planeID=163)
HP-16 (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...rst_Flight.htm)
HP-17 (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/history.html#HP17)
HP-18 (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-18/N5568/N5568.htm)

Wayne
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F
Old December 9th 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gen

Possibly Oldshaw O-2 or its variant? I saw one at Soaring Museum at
Moriarty.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gens2000...34513734628274
http://picasaweb.google.com/gens2000...34528476336658

-Gen

IO-540 mystery Paul Tomblin Owning 27 August 31st 07 08:59 PM
glider transport chicago - arizona BB Soaring 0 February 11th 07 12:01 AM
Mystery Propellor M Pengelly Restoration 7 November 1st 04 08:42 PM
GPS Mystery tony roberts Owning 5 February 3rd 04 12:54 AM
Eta crashed Erich Kohlenberger Soaring 33 October 6th 03 11:56 AM