"Four-On-the-Floor-Gang" Streideck

Old August 24th 10, 06:29 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Default "Four-On-the-Floor-Gang" Streideck

Can anyone steer me toward a downloadable copy of ""Four-On-the-Floor-Gang" written by Streideck?
Old August 24th 10, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

--
tienshanman

IIRC it's in Soaring, November 1986.
Old August 25th 10, 04:41 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8 View Post
wrote:
Can anyone steer me toward a downloadable copy of
""Four-On-the-Floor-Gang" written by Streideck?

--
tienshanman

IIRC it's in Soaring, November 1986.
Thanks. But I am overseas without access to the magazine.
Old August 25th 10, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

are you an SSA member? it is available on www.ssa.org
Old August 26th 10, 03:56 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony[_5_] View Post

wrote:-
Can anyone steer me toward a downloadable copy of
""Four-On-the-Floor-Gang" written by Streideck?

--
tienshanman-

IIRC it's in Soaring, November 1986.

Thanks. But I am overseas without access to the magazine.

--
tienshanman

are you an SSA member? it is available on www.ssa.org
I am not a member; in fact I'm not much of a "joiner" at all.
Old August 26th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

-
--
tienshanman--
-
IIRC it's in Soaring, November 1986.-

Thanks. But I am overseas without access to the magazine.

--
tienshanman-

are you an SSA member? it is available on www.ssa.org

I am not a member; in fact I'm not much of a "joiner" at all.

Your honest forthrightness is appreciated! FWIW, neither am I a "joiner"
(something I suspect is true of a not insignificant percentage of SSA members).

That said, I *did* join SSA (1972), and have remained a member continuously
ever since, despite - at the risk of freshening old wounds, :-) - considerable
reason(s) *not* to do so over not-so-distant decades.

Why have I "stuck with the program"? I happen to think "what it (the SSA)
stands for" sufficiently important to do what I can to keep the program going.
Along the way, I've monthly had a (generally pretty good) magazine to
absorb/enjoy (and, learned gobs from said magazinal absorption).

And as Tony previously noted, now *all* the magazines (from 1937 on...) are
available to membership online. Major cool resource!!!

Have fun with the silly sport, and rotsa ruck on your next life move!

Regards,
Bob W.
Old August 26th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

A memorable tale, worth getting a copy of.
Without reviewing them all and having not read the article in decades,
I would vote "the four on the floor gang" the best article in the
magazine's history.
Believe that one or two of those gliders will be at the AS-W20 get-
together in Tehachapi on Sept. 4/5/6?
Jim
Old August 26th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

I'm not much of a "joiner", either (not affiliated with any local
soaring club despite being within driving range of half a dozen). But
I've been an SSA member continuously since 1965 despite--as longtime
RAS readers may recall--being quite vocal about what SSA has done well
and what could have been improved. Some may imagine me as an SSA
"shill" because I was on the board of directors for nearly 10 years or
because I've defended due process in a few situations where I felt the
organization was being tried and convicted in a court of public
speculation. To the contrary, there are still a few SSA directors
today who are said to harbor a grudge because of my insistence on
independent oversight following the CFO-caused financial scandal a few
years ago, now mercifully a dim memory with a happy ending.

The point of all this? I've never thought of cancelling my membership
to show my displeasure when I disagreed with SSA or was angry with
what I perceived was poor performance. They're all we've got. We're a
tiny sport and SSA is heavily dependent on volunteer efforts. The new
online archives ARE a wonderful tool, and not only because I got a
kick out of searching for my name the other day and found all kinds of
small mentions I'd forgotten about. It's a great example of what
SSA can do by leveraging our volunteers. I was in Hobbs in July for
the Std. Class Nats (AKA "the great flood") and saw first hand the
commitment and enthusiasm of the staff there. And I know many of the
directors, all of whom are concerned with doing what's right for US
soaring (even though I don't always agree with them). Things aren't
perfect but they'd be a lot worse without SSA.

So go ahead and "join" anyway, even if you're not normally inclined.
You'll be helping the cause of soaring in this country and--
indirectily--perhaps in other parts of the world. Plus you'll get the
magazine, access to the archives, a cool SSA decal...and an annual
appeal for donations to worthy soaring causes!

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

Old August 26th 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

are you an SSA member? *it is available onwww.ssa.org

I am not a member; in fact I'm not much of a "joiner" at all.

--
tienshanman

Well, if you're not a "joiner," then don't expect free content, like
this and many excellent articles.
And like it or not, you are a "beneficiary." The SSA does loads of
good stuff, like keeping the sky above you open for glider flying,
keeping the FAA from regulating your glider out of existence, and
maintaining a topnotch website full of free material. Maybe it's time
to "join" anyway.

John Cochrane BB
Old August 26th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

"John Cochrane" wrote in message

are you an SSA member? it is available onwww.ssa.org

I am not a member; in fact I'm not much of a "joiner" at all.

--
tienshanman

Well, if you're not a "joiner," then don't expect free content, like
this and many excellent articles.
And like it or not, you are a "beneficiary." The SSA does loads of
good stuff, like keeping the sky above you open for glider flying,
keeping the FAA from regulating your glider out of existence, and
maintaining a topnotch website full of free material. Maybe it's time
to "join" anyway.

John Cochrane BB

I just read the article for the first time. Superb would be an
understatement!

Thanks SSA for archiving the articles and the really good reader for them.
This alone is worth the price of membership.

Hartley Falbaum
KF USA