V7/Oudie settings

Old January 8th 13, 01:40 AM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Default V7/Oudie settings

I know there was a thread about this awhile ago, but I know there are at least a few people with a V7/Oudie/Nano setup. I just bought everything I need from Cumulus (great service BTW), and I'm stuck in my house fiddling with it until soaring season starts. I realize these things are very flexible and can be made very personal, but I want to get an idea of how the experienced pilots set it up. So, what settings do you use for:

V7:
--Bitrates (I chose 115200 with Nano and Oudie, any reason not to?)
--Upper/lower number in Thermal/SC modes?
--Auto SC (I chose GPS mode to auto-switch)?
--Vario needle filter?

Oudie:
--Which navboxes?
--How do you use the "Page 1/2" feature? I thought I'd make one page to work with the V7, then one page in case the V7 fails or my battery runs out, and the Oudie is running by itself on the internal battery. Thoughts?
--Internal GPS or GPS input from Nano?

Nano:
--It turns on with the master switch, any way to make it turn off with the master switch too?

Any other settings you find particularly useful on either device? Thanks for helping me combat the winter blues.

-David
Old January 8th 13, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

--Bitrates (I chose 115200 with Nano and Oudie, any reason not to?)

The higher the bit rate the more sensitive it is to noise and
interference.

Higher bit rates only help if the data being output needs the higher
rate - for example if it only outputs 4 x 100 bytes of position
information in a second then you only need 4*100*8 = 2400 bits + some
safety factor to transfer it all. Systems with flarms and high
frequency GPS systems will need higher bit rates than ones that just
have a standard GPS logger. Also, if you download the trace over this
interface you will want it to be as fast as possible.

--Internal GPS or GPS input from Nano?

I would always use the GPS source you would use for task scoring or
badge submission as the other one may differ quite a lot.

--It turns on with the master switch, any way to make it turn off with
the master switch too?

I guess the risk with this is that your trace would stop with a
battery failure, rather than using the nano's internal battery

Old January 10th 13, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

--

dbrunone

My thoughts on what to display (hope someone finds this helpful). Personally, I like to know what data is where without having to think what mode I am in. I would therefore have the same data items on the V7 for both climb and cruise - my personal choice would be upper number average vario, lower number arrival altitude. The mechanical needle I would have as vario in climb mode, and as netto vario in cruise mode.

For the vario setup, I would imagine that it is sensible to start with the defaults. I bet that most people who report that it is an excellent vario are still using the defaults.

On the Oudie, similarly I would want Navboxes in the same positions to display the same data on Map 1 and on Map 2 (and also on the thermal maximiser page). I would not have a different setup in the expectation of the glider instruments failing (if you want a backup for ships power, are you going to carry an external battery to power the Oudie for longer than the internal battery?). On Map 1, I have up at the top wind and direction to steer, at the bottom final glide symbol, tETA, Time, Target, Thermal av (I suppose my backup for the glider instruments failing), Distance to next, Arrival at next, Ground speed, and Ground elevation.

On Map 2 I have an extra row of Nav boxes. I generally keep Map 2 zoomed in and Map 1 showing a larger area, and I have the glider trail switched on for Map 2 but not for Map 1.

I have set up some of my Navboxes to have actions associated with them, eg to go direct to the Task page without going via the menu, and to switch backwards and fwds between Map 1 and Map 2 without the slow graphical transition (although you can turn that off).