Follow up Alright, All You Dashing, Swaggering Bush Pilots

Old August 21st 03, 08:18 PM
Rich S.

"Corrie" wrote in message
om...
snip
Quite true. My point is that DIS-belief is also faith-based. You
cannot prove or disprove either the existence or non-existence of God.
Either way, it's a matter of faith. That's all I'm saying.

Who was that who said, "Son, don't be an agnostic - be *something*!"

Rich "MY head is wet" S.

Old August 21st 03, 09:31 PM

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, pac plyer wrote:

You zealots continue to try to convert the whole world into your recent
religion not realizing that evolution and science are the other side of
the God coin that you myopically stare at. Blank and White, Who's
right, who's wrong translations from more than 2000 years ago don't cut
it. As usual the truth lies in middle.

Apparently there's a good sized chunk of the scientific picture with which
you're unfamiliar. Read this book, then come back and we can discuss it
from a more educated perspective.

Title: The Fingerprint of God
Author: Hugh Ross
ISBN: 0883686279

Should be available at any bookstore.

-Dan
(My apologies for the off topic post.)
Old August 21st 03, 10:52 PM
Russell Kent

"Rich S." wrote:

Who was that who said, "Son, don't be an agnostic - be *something*!"

Robert Frost is alleged to have said that.

When asked what my religion is, I say I'm a "lapsed agnostic: I used to
wonder if there is a God, now I don't care if there is or isn't." That
usually shuts up the questioner (or would-be proselytizer)...

Russell Kent

Old August 22nd 03, 03:35 AM
pac plyer

gringomasloco thundered from the pulpit:

Author: Hugh Ross
ISBN: 0883686279

I've already read all that "Late great planet earth, biblethumping
drivel by psedo-scientists and I haven't got time to waste on that.
I've got objective books by Steven Hawkins, A brief moment in time,
Robert Jastrow etc to read.

But why don't you educate yourself on this one:

Title: On the Origin of Species
Author: Charles Darwin

It's available at *all* bookstores everywhere.

Evolutionarily, Your distant relative,

pacplyer
Old August 22nd 03, 04:16 AM
David O

Barnyard BOb -- wrote:

How about a controversial binary file instead to fill
the bandwidth wasted on such unwinnable matters?

Barnyard BOb --

Advice from you about bandwidth wasted on unwinnable matters? Now
that is funny.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Author: Hugh Ross
ISBN: 0883686279

I've already read all that "Late great planet earth, biblethumping
drivel by psedo-scientists and I haven't got time to waste on that.
I've got objective books by Steven Hawkins, A brief moment in time,
Robert Jastrow etc to read.

IOW, don't confuse you with facts; your mind is made up.
Whassamatter, are you scared of a scientific worldview that allows for
the possibility that the universe didn't just happen by accident? Or
is your entire self-worth bound up in believing that you are merely
the product of random molecular collisons? But that's ok, go ahead
and keep your Foggles on. Just keep a watch out for a vacuum failure.

Author: Charles Darwin

You're a little behind the times. Most evolutionary scientists have
moved beyond Darwin's simplistic "survival of the fittest" model,
seeing as it fails to adequately explain the evidence. Stephen Jay
Gould had to invent the concept of "punctuated equilibria," but
recently that's come under fire, too.

But evolution is beside the point. Whether or not species
spontaneously transform into other species (and there's precious
little hard evidence to support the notion) has nothing whatsoever to
do with the existence or non-existence of a trancendent Supreme Being.
A lot of folks - believers and non-believers alike - don't get that.
But it's true.

And before someone starts ragging on me that this isn't
alt.talk.origins, please note that *I didn't bring up the subject!*
Old August 22nd 03, 04:44 PM
Russell Kent

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:52:30 -0500, Russell Kent
wrote:

When asked what my religion is, I say I'm a "lapsed agnostic: I used to
wonder if there is a God, now I don't care if there is or isn't." That
usually shuts up the questioner (or would-be proselytizer)...

Corky Scott wrote:

Is that original Russell? That's really good!

Yep. 100% all my own, although when spoken "care if there is or isn't" is
usually pronounced "give a damn." :-)

I heard someone say the other day: "I feel like I'm a citizen of the world
and my religion is to do good."

I used to tell my brother, father of some delightful neices and nephew to
me, that my purpose on this Earth was "to serve as a bad example," usually
shortly after I'd taught them something of which he would have preferred
they had remained ignorant. :-)

Russell Kent

Old August 22nd 03, 04:47 PM
Corrie

Bernie the Bunion wrote in message ...
Corrie wrote:

And before someone starts ragging on me that this isn't
alt.talk.origins, please note that *I didn't bring up the subject!*

Then stop talking about it.....

I had...... :-P
Old August 22nd 03, 06:21 PM
Corrie

When asked what my religion is, I say I'm a "lapsed agnostic: I used to
wonder if there is a God, now I don't care if there is or isn't."

How sad. Apathy and willful ignorance - what a combination. I hope
for your sake that you don't apply the same attitude toward flight
planning.