OSH Arrivals -- The Kiwi is Ready

Old July 15th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default OSH Arrivals -- The Kiwi is Ready

Okay, so I spent a couple of hours today ("Honest, Mary, the guys
*asked* me to do this!") setting up some OSH arrival scenarios in the
Kiwi, our full-sized flight simulator at our aviation-theme-suite
hotel. (See it he http://alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm)

The first scenario starts you over Ripon, flying down the railroad
tracks toward FISK. You can follow the tracks all the way into a
right downwind for Rwy 27 (or a straight-in for Rwy 9), just like the
real deal.

The second scenario has you on right base-to-final for Rwy 27, with
instructions to land on the green dot...

The third scenario has you doing a fly-by past the tower (try THAT at
AirVenture!). Since this has after-market add-on scenery, the real
tower is there, as are the tents in the fly market, Aeroshell square,
and a zillion or two aircraft parked alongside the runways. The
illusion is quite real.

The fourth scenario has you on short final for Rwy 36.

All of these saved scenarios are flown in a Skylane in fair weather,
although we can substitute any plane, from a Cherokee to a B-29, and
we can make the field "Oshkosh VFR" (1.5 miles in either direction)
with a few mouse clicks.

I've also got the FISK Arrival NOTAM ready for viewing on the 104"
screen, and we'll print out free copies for anyone who asks. Anything
to help avoid last year's near-fiasco.

You guys who are coming here for the pool party this coming Saturday,
July 21st (see it he http://alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_pool_party.htm
) will be welcome to practice holding 90 knots and 1800 MSL all day
long.

It's especially challenging after a few cold ones...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 16th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Milen E. Lazarov

On 2007-07-15, Jay Honeck wrote:
Okay, so I spent a couple of hours today ("Honest, Mary, the guys
*asked* me to do this!") setting up some OSH arrival scenarios in the
Kiwi, our full-sized flight simulator at our aviation-theme-suite
hotel. (See it he http://alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm)

:-)
--
Jay Honeck

Jay,

That's all wonderful. Is there a way to share the saved scenarios
for those who will not be stopping at your place?

Thanks,
Milen
--

SDF Public Access UNIX System -
http://sdf.lonestar.org
Old July 16th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

That's all wonderful. Is there a way to share the saved scenarios
for those who will not be stopping at your place?

A scenario is simply a saved flight that puts your aircraft over Ripon
(or Fisk, or OSH) in a particular plane, at a particular altitude as
your starting point.

It's not enhanced scenery (although I *am* using Microsoft's
downloadable enhanced Oshkosh AirVenture scenery in the scenario), so
I'm not sure I understand your question. What, exactly, would you
like me to save, and where shall I save it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 16th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Milen E. Lazarov

On 2007-07-16, Jay Honeck wrote:

It's not enhanced scenery (although I *am* using Microsoft's
downloadable enhanced Oshkosh AirVenture scenery in the scenario), so
I'm not sure I understand your question. What, exactly, would you
like me to save, and where shall I save it?
--
Jay Honeck

Ah, I see. Never mind then - I though you were doing something similar
to the build-in scenarios or missions or whatever FS calls them - where you
have some preset traffic going over certain path, etc.

-Milen

Old July 16th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Uh, gimmee an insertion point about twenty miles south (somewhere, say,
around Portage) to give me half a chance to arrive at the IP with the
airplane trimmed and ready for the transition.]

Jim

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,

ups.com...

Old July 16th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:01:30 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

Okay, so I spent a couple of hours today ("Honest, Mary, the guys
*asked* me to do this!") setting up some OSH arrival scenarios in the
Kiwi, our full-sized flight simulator at our aviation-theme-suite
hotel. (See it he http://alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm)

The first scenario starts you over Ripon, flying down the railroad
tracks toward FISK. You can follow the tracks all the way into a
right downwind for Rwy 27 (or a straight-in for Rwy 9), just like the
real deal.

No mention about traffic...which is probably one of the biggest challenges of
the Ripon arrival. The guy in the pilot seat spends his time staring out the
front window and at the gauges.

Tell ya what... station about five guys around the room 15-20' from the guy in
the Kiwi, with sheets of ordinary typing paper. Every ten seconds, have one
start noisily crunching one into a ball. Have them throw them at the pilot's
head at random intervals. The pilot has to bat it away with one hand (while
flying the Ripon approach) or everyone starts screaming, "MIDAIR! MIDAIR!
MIDAIR!"

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 16th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

No mention about traffic...which is probably one of the biggest challenges of
the Ripon arrival. The guy in the pilot seat spends his time staring out the
front window and at the gauges.

Tell ya what... station about five guys around the room 15-20' from the guy in
the Kiwi, with sheets of ordinary typing paper. Every ten seconds, have one
start noisily crunching one into a ball. Have them throw them at the pilot's
head at random intervals. The pilot has to bat it away with one hand (while
flying the Ripon approach) or everyone starts screaming, "MIDAIR! MIDAIR!
MIDAIR!"

Ha! That's a good one, and quite accurate.

There *is* a way (in MSFS) to make traffic fly in a line following the
railroad tracks, rather than just randomly generated everywhere, using
a program called "Recorder". I've got the program, but you have to
fly the approach -- and record it, in real time -- for EACH plane you
want to appear as traffic.

Ain't gonna happen between now and Saturday!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 18th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
No mention about traffic...which is probably one of the biggest challenges of
the Ripon arrival. The guy in the pilot seat spends his time staring out the
front window and at the gauges.

Sure traffic is a big challenge but if a pilot is *only* looking out
front and at the gauges, IMHO, he's not doing enough or his focus is way
too narrow. I'm scanning everywhere I can see out the front and side
windows and my primary instrument focus is on two things: airspeed and
altitude. Throw in listing to Fisk approach for good measure. This is
all while my brother/co-pilot doing the same things.

Old July 18th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:04:55 -0700, Jack Allison
wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
No mention about traffic...which is probably one of the biggest challenges of
the Ripon arrival. The guy in the pilot seat spends his time staring out the
front window and at the gauges.

Sure traffic is a big challenge but if a pilot is *only* looking out
front and at the gauges, IMHO, he's not doing enough or his focus is way
too narrow. I'm scanning everywhere I can see out the front and side
windows and my primary instrument focus is on two things: airspeed and
altitude. Throw in listing to Fisk approach for good measure. This is
all while my brother/co-pilot doing the same things.

Note that my reference was to pilots sitting in the Kiwi...which ONLY gives them
a view out the front and of the gauges. Which is why I suggested the random
incoming paper wads....

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 19th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Sure traffic is a big challenge but if a pilot is *only* looking out
front and at the gauges, IMHO, he's not doing enough or his focus is way
too narrow.

FYI: At Movie Tuesday all we did was the FISK approach up the railroad
tracks.

It was interesting to watch as people struggled to maintain altitude
and airspeed. Most settled down, after a bit -- but some NEVER got it
stabilized.

Just like the real thing!

It's a challenging and fun approach -- that includes a tower fly-by.
Try THAT at OSH next Sunday!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Rich Man's Kiwi Eduardo K. Owning 3 February 10th 07 03:33 AM
Kiwi! Cool animation Buck Murdock General Aviation 1 February 9th 07 02:41 PM
Kiwi pilot video (?) john smith Piloting 4 November 26th 06 03:27 PM
Kiwi A-4s to be sold Hoges in WA Naval Aviation 11 September 26th 05 01:51 AM