Has there ever been an off-center gun?

Old December 8th 03, 06:08 AM
John Keeney

"Hobo" wrote in message

Has there ever been an aircraft with a gun permanently aligned
off-center?

Yes, several going as far back at least as far as WWI.
I'm afraid I'm brain locking on the designations though. In
Vietnam B-57 had gun packs fitted that shot down at a very
sharp angle- may even have been vertical- for night straffing
the trail.

I don't mean swivel mounted, but permanently fixed at a
point other than straight ahead.

Wouldn't a gun pointed at a downward angle make ground attack easier?

I don't know why the idea keeps failing to catch on; it could
be it's too single purpose for fighters or just not as easy to
aim.

Old December 8th 03, 01:51 PM
Bob Martin

I don't know why the idea keeps failing to catch on; it could
be it's too single purpose for fighters or just not as easy to
aim.

I think the A-10's gun might be downward pointed a bit... but most fighters
wouldn't use a downward-pointing one because it is unsuitable for a-a work.

Old December 8th 03, 04:35 PM
John Hairell

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 05:07:41 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote:

This is wonderful. Can either of you or anybody point me to more
information about this service?

I realize there are only 12 issues of Geographic a year, but it would
help if I could narrow it down.

I remember the same photo and I'm pretty sure it's a mid-'60s issue,
probably from 1965-1967.

The photo shows somebody either putting mail in or pulling mail out of
a bucket hanging on a rope, and you can see the aircraft that's
dropping the bucket flying at altitude in the background.

I did a lookup on NGS' pubs website at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pu...s/explore.html
and got some possibilities:

keyword "Amazon" - Oct 1972 "Amazon--The River Sea"
Aug 1970 - "Colombia, from Amazon to Spanish
Main"
May 1964 - "Indians of the Amazon Darkness"
March 1959 - "Children of the Sun and Moon"
keyword "Colombia" May 1966 "Capturing Strange Creatures in Colombia"
Aug 1970 "Colombia, from Amazon to Spanish Main"
Feb 1966 "Flamboyant Is the Word for Bolivia"

There are many possibilities - try different keywords for various SA
countries and narrow down the results by date.

John Hairell )
Old December 8th 03, 08:48 PM
Jeb Hoge

"Bob Martin" wrote in message ...
I don't know why the idea keeps failing to catch on; it could
be it's too single purpose for fighters or just not as easy to
aim.

I think the A-10's gun might be downward pointed a bit... but most fighters
wouldn't use a downward-pointing one because it is unsuitable for a-a work.

The Hog's overall assembly is not on the jet's centerline, but it's
arranged so that the firing barrel is centered up, probably perfectly
squared, when it fires. Given the power of that particular weapon,
I'd be a little surprised if the firing barrel was anything BUT
perfectly square to the centerline (both X and Y axis). Of course, I
also seem to recall that the shell basically traces a straight line
from barrel to "effective range", and doesn't need drop factored in.
Old December 8th 03, 09:32 PM
Cub Driver

Thanks, I'll look for it.

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 11:35:02 -0500, John Hairell
wrote:

[...]

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 8th 03, 11:23 PM
OXMORON1

The mail/supplies in the bucket trick goes back farther than that. IIRC the
"bucket trick" was the inspiration for the AC-47 development for holding the
fire on the target in a steep banked turn.

In addition to the Amazon, the technique was used by missionaries in Borneo,
both sometime in the late twenties or early thirties.

Oxmoron1
Don't ask me where I read it,but it was a long time ago.
Old December 9th 03, 12:18 AM
Bob Martin

Of course, I
also seem to recall that the shell basically traces a straight line
from barrel to "effective range", and doesn't need drop factored in.

Eh?... surely you're not saying that the rounds don't drop in
flight?...I hope?...

Well, I know the firing barrel is centered laterally, but I think the gun
itself may be angled down a couple degrees (though still passing through the
center of gravity of the aircraft, so as to not produce any pitching
moment), though probably not more than 2 or 3. This would help with gun
tracking and make strafing runs a little safer.

As far as the "straight line" from the barrel... the muzzle velocity of the
GAU-8/A is such that, although the bullets do drop in flight (to not do so
would either imply lift being generated, or laws of physics being violated),
the drop is considered negligible, and therefore the gunsight is a simple
fixed reticle in the HUD.

For example... at 4000 feet, the bullets will only drop about 10
feet--random dispersion will be greater than that.