Wave Soaring in Oklahoma

Old January 6th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Default Wave Soaring in Oklahoma

January 4 - 5, 2008
We had two very successful days of wave soaring in SE Oklahoma. Yes,
Oklahoma!
We also had a couple of great ridge flights 3 months ago in the same
area.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...045a22 2d6871

Eight members from the Tulsa club and 2 members from TSA made the trip
to Talihina,
OK to try out another near by ridge for some ridge soaring. We were
amazed at all of the
lenticular clouds in the area. After a few tows, we were able to
locate the wave lift.

We had 9 successful flights into the wave. Most of the flights climbed
to over 8,00 feet and
the highest altitude was 9,900 feet. From the look of the lenticular
clouds, altitudes into the
teen's are probably very likely. We just need to do some exploring and
maybe instruction
from some experienced pilots.

Before yesterday, only two or three members from our group have every
climbed in wave,
so this is really a new learning experience for all of us.

Who would have every thought that we could have ridge and wave soaring
in Oklahoma?

Some of the flights are posted on OLC and we have some pictures posted
on our website
soon. http://web.mac.com/rgteel/TSSC/Home.html

Randy

N304RS
Old January 7th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Fantastic! Still places to explore in the sky with a glider. Who'd
have thought. Hope to join you one of these days.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...wse_thread/thr...

Old January 8th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Newill

So maybe we change the song...
OOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the PLANE
and the WAVE in Wheat can sure smell sweet (ok somebody else end the
line!)
Old January 8th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Dave Newill wrote:
So maybe we change the song...
OOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the PLANE

Somebody thinks that it may be windier in Wyoming :-).
http://www.bowkera.com/wyoming_windsock.htm

Tony V.
Old January 8th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jan 6, 12:17*pm, Randy wrote:
[...]

Super cool. I was on a commercial flight across the plains a few
weeks ago and swore I could see obvious wave patterns and lennies over
your neck of the woods. Glad to see you tested it out.
Old January 8th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jan 7, 9:48*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Jan 6, 12:17*pm, Randy wrote:

[...]

your neck of the woods. *Glad to see you tested it out.- Hide quoted text -

BTW, I looked at the composite images on Google Earth. It looks like
a wind pretty much out of the North (or South) is ideal. Terrain on
the upwind side (on a North wind day) looked a bit foreboding. Tell
us a bit aobut the landout possibilities on the upwind side of the
ridges...

P3
Old January 8th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Here is a link to some of the pictures from our wave flights over
Oklahoma.
http://web.mac.com/rgteel/Talihina/Wave_Soaring.html

Landout areas on the north ridge are very limited. We have taken a lot
of
pictures of possible landing sites, and we just need to spend some
time
checking them out. When I did my ridge flight and transitioned to the
northern ridge, it was a little bit intimidating. Just need to stay
above
the ridge tops. You have better landing sites in the valley.

Randy

Old January 9th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

These winds are from the SeeYou program

3000 ft 205/37
4000 ft 218/41
5000 ft 239/47
6000 ft 246/47
9000 ft 259/50
Old January 12th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

What were the winds on the ground?

Mike Schumann

"Randy" wrote in message
These winds are from the SeeYou program

3000 ft 205/37
4000 ft 218/41
5000 ft 239/47
6000 ft 246/47
9000 ft 259/50

Ridge Soaring in Oklahoma Randy[_2_] Soaring 1 October 25th 07 11:02 PM
Ridge Soaring in Oklahoma Randy[_2_] Soaring 0 October 25th 07 07:13 PM
Tornado in Oklahoma Chris W Piloting 0 April 25th 06 05:28 AM
Bad day in Oklahoma GeorgeC Piloting 76 March 12th 06 12:47 AM
Marfa Wave Soaring Camp 2005 [email protected] Soaring 2 March 24th 05 01:46 PM