Beech Duke Owners/ex-Owners ple help...

Old March 21st 11, 12:17 AM
Bo Darrah Bo Darrah is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
good questions, I am trying to talk my wife into letting me get a Duke, I
have to have some serious good reasons for her to say yes to one of those.

Stanley wrote:

I am looking to purchase a pressurized twin that my ins co will let me
fly and am very interested in a Duke.

They look to be fast and fits my needs of cabin class (vs Baron type),
potty for kids' emergencies and payload to haul family of 4 over the
Sierra/Rockies for up to 1000nm. I've looked at Mojave, 414, 421,
340, etc and keep coming back to the Duke. Even though I'm low-time
(1000hrs), I've accumulated about 350hrs in a C90B so there is a
small (but realistic) chance that my ins co will actually let me go in
one of these w/o a propilot vs. "no chance" for the C90B.

My request for help: I heard all the remarks - 1) Get a good
mechanic, 2) Cost much to keep in the air, 3) Not enough payload, and
4) Req too much runway.

I'd like to hear from current/former Duke owners to get the skinny on
these concerns. Any specific answers to the following would be much
appreciated:

1) What is/was the ave annual maint expenses? Does it escalate after
a certain no of TTAF?

2) Are there availability of good svc facilities/mechanics?
(Northern CA)

3) What is a "safe" runway length you would fly out of (SL)? How
does it perform in high alt field in summer?

4) What ADs and etc one should look for? I'm thinking of 3,000hr
TTAF 1980-2 (the "B"?) model.

5) Was insurance a difficult proposition for you?

6) What do you like and dislike about the Duke?

Thanks much in advance for the insights.

Stanley
Stanley,

Did you ever buy a Duke? If you did what is/was your experience to the questions you asked back in ...02? I am think of purchasing a twin, a Baron or a Duke. I own a Cessna T 210 with a Cont 520 and have not ever been very impressed with the cyclinder maintaines I have to keep doing no matter how I fly it, so I don't like the idea of the Baron except a B56. In other words I would like to try something with a Lycoming running it.

I can afford the extra maintances, but hate topping engines every 300 to 400 hours.

Bo
Old June 10th 16, 12:36 AM
cendol cendol is offline
Banned