Another Morning At The Avionics Shop

Old December 21st 04, 12:07 AM
NW_PILOT

Default Another Morning At The Avionics Shop

My VOR, LOC & GS KI-214 was wacky well, I have been putting it off, and
putting it off dreading a high repair bill on this item from the stories I
have herd on the usent posts. It was not as bad as some say it was after a
week waiting for my appointment!

9:30 my KI-214 in along with my 170B that is it hooked to "the tech
requested both items" said he will know with in the first 20 min on
the bench about how long it would take him to fix it.

The tech hooked it up and yes it was off a bit like 14 degrees on the VOR
ouch!! LOC would not center, GS would fully deflect and
required a lot of power to get it to catch signal. He opened it up,a bunch
of plastic gummy stuff fell out said yep going to need a
belt. Sure enough the belt was only strings belt was unavailable through
king so he replaced it with a serviceable one "looked like
it was new" from the avionics bone yard he had. He said it will take me
about 2 to 3 hour total, I left him to do his work came back 1.5
hours later he was assembling it back together total with belt and sales tax
$127 and some change, he has it tuned and working with its
proper limits cannot wait to get the hood on with an instructor and go try
it.

The OBS knob turns smother now also since the belt been replaced did a VOR
to VOR check on the ramp both VOR's read perfect.

Every place I called did not want to touch a KI-214 said it was to old and
quoted $250 to just put it on the bench or Tried to sell me
an exchange for $550.00. Greg at Aero Maintenance In Vancouver, WA knows his
stuff is reliable/reasonable I guess that is why he is a week or two out on
appointments to have things worked on.

I Am Verry Happy With The Knowlage & Skill This Guy Has Another AAA+ For The
GA Community.

AAAA+++ Greg at Aero Maintenance, Vancouver WA Pearson Field

http://www.aeromt.com/avionics.html

Old December 21st 04, 02:26 PM
Roy Page

My KI-214 has seen better days.
Which more modern indicator will interface with the KX-170B same as KI-214
with built in GS etc ?

Roy

m...

Old December 22nd 04, 12:54 AM
Almarz

You'll need a glideslope receiver.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:26:01 GMT, "Roy Page"
wrote:

My KI-214 has seen better days.
Which more modern indicator will interface with the KX-170B same as KI-214
with built in GS etc ?

Roy

om...