Bible-beater pilots

Old November 26th 03, 07:46 AM
Thomas Borchert

Steve,

I never realized there were so many religion nuts in aviation. Amazing!

I never realized there were so many atheist nuts in aviation. Amazing!

After looking at all the harm religion has brought over mankind, how can one
not fight it whereever it rears its ugly head - if one wants to remain a
halfway moral being.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 26th 03, 08:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Mike,

If they really believed in
allah, and we were really that bad, wouldn't some allah induced terror
befall us?

That argument is old hat even in Christian circles, where a supposedly
benevolent God couldn't possibly allow wars, famine et cetera. The easy
answer: This is God's/Allah's/The Great Pumpkin's way to test us and our
faith.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 26th 03, 08:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

H.,

I have no idea why the universe exists,

and we don't even have any idea why there needs to be a reason it
exists.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 26th 03, 08:16 AM
Thomas Borchert

Matthew,

Agreed on Buddhaism.

so your theory that the world is in the shape it's in now
due to religion does not ring completely true.

Not exclusively because of religion, but looking back, it is one of the
primary propaganda machines to bring evil over the world. Of course it
is still humans killing humans, but religion seems to work
exceptionally well as a motivator.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 26th 03, 01:46 PM
Trent Moorehead

After looking at all the harm religion has brought over mankind, how can

one
not fight it whereever it rears its ugly head - if one wants to remain a
halfway moral being.

I guess I should cancel my plans to deliver Thanksgiving dinner to the needy
tomorrow. Since it's on behalf of my church.

Old November 26th 03, 06:22 PM
Andrew Gideon

H. Adam Stevens wrote:

But tether the camels anyway.

I suppose our version would be:

Trust in the FAA, but preflight anyway.

Or...maybe not grin.

- Andrew

Old November 26th 03, 09:46 PM
Frank

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Wdtabor wrote:

This is a fight I have with my fellow LP members often. TO me, it is more
important that libertarian ideas prevail, not Libertarian candidates. If
that means gently persuading Republicans and even some Democrats to
become more libertarian, then so be it.

Let's see if I understand you correctly. Your theory is that, if enough
people vote Libertarian, the other candidates will start to adopt some of
the LP views in an attempt to siphon off some of those votes?

That's exactly what third parties have always done for our system. They
introduce radical ideas into the mix and the ones that have merit are
eventually embraced by the mainstream. Perot's Independent party was the
last one in recent history to have such an impact.

I would like to be able to agree, but I think that Dems and Reps would
simply be afraid of losing votes they already have and afraid of losing
the support of the main party.

In any case, a vote is never "wasted" if you vote for the candidate you
prefer.

Absolutley. Although sometimes I wish you could check a box next to a
candidate's name that's labeled "Against".

--
Frank....H
Old November 26th 03, 10:25 PM
Frank

John T wrote:

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

But...if that's the bias of the majority of the Members, where's
the harm?

The harm is that the whole point of the constitution is to protect
the minority against the tyranny of the majority.

My statement was specifically regarding the prayer offered at the opening
of
sessions of Congress. Nothing more. Such a prayer can hardly be
considered
"tyranny of the majority."

We were taught the principle as 'the will of the people with protection of
the rights of the minority". So it need not be 'tyranny' to be harmful.

But what happens all too often is that non-participation is used against
those of different faiths.

Any members that feel the need to pray before going to work can do so
anytime and with anyone outside the chamber. If they were sensitive to the
role they play in government and their agenda is not to promote religion
then they would have got their praying done before hand and have no need of
risking offending anyone.

That said, I'll spend money no matter what is printed on it. So send
me some if you don't like what it says.

Completely agreed!

Amen!
--
Frank....H
Old November 26th 03, 10:55 PM
David Brooks

That said, I'll spend money no matter what is printed on it. So send
me some if you don't like what it says.

Completely agreed!

Amen!

Some of us are figuring out how to boycott the $10s when they start to
appear with Reagan's mug on them (how many days after he dies, I wonder).
But I must admit it is the turn of the other side of the aisle; the most
recent new Presidential faces on currency begin JFK and FDR.

-- David Brooks

Old November 27th 03, 12:49 AM
Rob Perkins

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:58:36 -0500, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

mike regish wrote:

I guess, in a way, they're saying they're not satisfied with allah's job
performance.

Isn't there something in the Christian faith to the extent of "the Lord helps
those as helps themselves"?

Yes, but it's there to prevent people from becoming lazy mystics, not
to justify brutish behavior.

Rob