Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

Old March 26th 18, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

Yes!Â* I have one similar.Â* I think it was a Winter metric altimeter with
a new face attached.Â* It only two hands, IIRC, and indicated 3,000' per
revolution and it came out of my second hand LS-6a just as soon as I
could get a proper three hand altimeter.Â* It's useful only for doing
pitot/static checks.

If my suspicions are correct, it actually measures 3,280 ft/rev (1,000
meters/rev) which would quickly make it out of spec.Â* Here's a pictu
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnekoxc26d...meter.jpg?dl=0

On 3/25/2018 3:35 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I have a metric altimeter, unused, came with a used glider I purchased, free to anybody who wants to be clubbed about the head with it.

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 26th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 1:35:25 AM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 1:58:44 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 11:36:12 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Why are you telling me this, Herb?Â* Do you feel better about yourself by
measuring a certain part of your anatomy in mm than in inches?

BTW Johathan's near mishap would not have happened had Shemp-Hirth and
"the rest of the world" had used the English system.

On 3/25/2018 8:10 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 4:05:06 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I took delivery of a brand new Ventus 2c, had the W&B done for my weight plus chute. Took the glider for it's first flight and thank goodness it was a great soaring day as it took me about two hours to be able to control it between 45-75 knots. Turns out they figured out the correct weight, say 5 pounds, wrote it in log book, but when they actually the weight in they used Kilograms, so I had 5 kg instead of 5 lb in tail. We figured it out, but I forgot the number, I was WELL aft of the aft most CG. I agree, check W&B.

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 9:28:27 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 10:15:36 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
When I bought my SZD glider, I found that the previous owner had removed ~10 lbs of factory installed lead ballast from the nose. The ballast mount location was hidden behind an access panel.
- when I bought my Russia it came with 9 pounds of lead shot / epoxy mix permanently mounted in the nose, hidden behind the front bulkhead panel. Thankfully the seller told me about it. (And for me flying it, I had to add even more ballast in another forward location.) Be careful with the W&B!
Earth to Dan Marotta: here's another great reason to go metric, don't ya think? Glad you survived the Kilo-Bomb, Jonathan.

--
Dan, 5J

Dan, I'm just puzzled that someone of your intelligence doesn't see the obvious supremacy of the metric system. Don't look backwards, join the French who came up with it and all the enlightened rest of the world (among them every single scientist). Your side has lost the battle long ago.

I've always puzzled why people think the metric system superior. All they did was throw out a bunch of units that were convenient, keeping just one that is arbitrary. If you are math challenged, use inches, microinches, kiloinches, nanoinches, megainches, etc. That's all the French did. So a nautical mile (actually a useful measure, being one degree of latitude) is 72.91 kiloinches or 1.852 kilometers. Can't see the wisdom of one over the other.. One nM works better for me.

People point weight, isn't it wonderful that a kilogram is a liter of water. But of course it isn't. A liter of water weighs 9.8 Newtons.

Sleeping in physics class?
Old March 26th 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Sigh......in general in this thread.

I believe most of us round numbers with different info (metric vs. American vs. statute vs. nautical, whatever......).
If the decimals make a difference, you are likely ****ed.
Period.

When I started doing XC, I always rounded to the poor side. Later on, "if I could see it, I could get there.....usually".

BTW, why the frig are we arguing on "units of measurements" in an AD thread?!?!

"Once you hit bottom, who cares how long your member is"!?!?

Sigh.
Old March 26th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It's not very useful, actually, other than for calculating glide angle,
e.g., given 1 kt sink rate at 60 KCAS (or is it KTAS) yields a glide
angle of 60:1 or 1:60.Â* But really, that's just a number, and it's
instantaneous, and pretty meaningless in flight.Â* Still, it's what many
in the world learned to fly with and there's no need to convert numbers
when the final result will be the same.Â* For me that's a lot easier to
visualize than 1.852 km/hr at 111.12 km/hr which, if divided = 60.Â* Same
result but a lot more work.

Glide ratio example:Â* I'm 20 NM from home (or 37 Km), my flight computer
says I need 23:1 to make it, but my current glide ratio is 15:1.Â* Will I
make it?Â* Who can say - there's a lot of air between me and home.

On 3/26/2018 9:07 AM, Tom BravoMike wrote:
I wonder how it can be useful in gliding. We don't fly along the meridians, i.e. North-South all the time, do we?

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 26th 18, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 5:48:50 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
To be correct (and some may call it being anal): the one liter of water cause a force of 9.81N. It does not ‘weigh’ 9.81N!
Uli
‘AS’

Generally, weight is defined as the force resulting on a mass in a gravitational field. Kilograms are a measure of mass, not force (unless you specify the ******* unit "kilograms force", like "pounds mass"). The measure of force in the SI system is Newtons. On the surface of the earth, one kilogram mass causes a force of 9.8 Newtons, properly called it's "weight". So to be correct AND anal, one liter of water has a mass of one kilogram, and weighs 9.81 Newtons (on earth). In space a liter of water still has a mass of one kilogram, but a weight of (nearly) zero Newtons.

Yes, I was typing ahead of my brain, a nautical mile is one minute of latitude. It is marginally useful on aeronautical charts, where dividers can be used to scale miles off of the latitude marks. In celestial navigation on boats (and they used to do that in planes!) it is quite a useful unit, as distances are first calculated in spherical arcs.
Old March 27th 18, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

On Monday, 26 March 2018 08:34:15 UTC+11, Dan Marotta wrote:
Hahahahahaha..............

A major part of intelligence is the ability to make one's own choices
rather than blindly following the pack.Â* Are these the same scientists
who first were hysterical about "global warming" then, when that didn't
pan out, got on the "climate change" bandwagon? Aren't they the ones
whose emails were revealed to be circling the wagons to keep the
narrative going to protect their financial grants?

Give me a rational argument and I'll listen, but so far, all I've heard
is the bandwagon appeal.

You're not getting your news from Facebook, are you?

Cheers Ben
Old March 27th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I don't do facebook, twit, etc.Â* I get my news from research, something
more people should try.

Cheers!

Old March 29th 18, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The only twit Im seeing is you, dribbling climate denial bull****. You couldnt research your way put of a paper bag.
Old March 29th 18, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

@son_of_flubber:

You said: "When I bought my SZD glider, I found that the previous owner had removed ~10 lbs of factory installed lead ballast from the nose. The ballast mount location was hidden behind an access panel."

Was this a 55? Which access panel?

Old March 29th 18, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ah, what research!Â* You are exactly the type of person I was talking
about, secure in the knowledge that you know everything and everyone who
doesn't agree with you must be wrong.Â* Go back to your Facebook friends.