Like heat shrink tubing but not a tube.

Old March 28th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Like heat shrink tubing but not a tube.

I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I can't use
the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too large. Is there an
equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item and then heat shrink it?

Old March 28th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Ammeter

How big is what you have to cover? When I worked at the local electric
utility we had heat shrink tubing that was 4 inches in diameter before
being shrunk. I used some of it to cover wrench handles...

Old March 28th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I
can't use the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too
large. Is there an equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item
and then heat shrink it?

About the size of a pencil. Will the 4 inch stuff shrink down that much?

Old March 28th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Ammeter

They had all sizes to fit anything from 2" in diameter down to 1/4"...
stop by your local electric utility and ask to talk to the warehouse
supplier foreman. Don't bother calling because the "company" line will
be to say they can't/won't give out any items. The guy in the warehouse
will be much more cooperative. Explain your needs and ask nicely for
his help.

John

Old March 28th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Almost all shrink sleeving that I am aware of works on the 50% rule. That
is, it will shrink to 50% of its cold diameter. 4" will shrink to 2".

Jim

Old March 28th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gene Seibel

On Mar 28, 8:20 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I can't use
the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too large. Is there an
equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item and then heat shrink it?

20 years ago I worked at a TV station where we had a heat shrink tape
that we used to repair camera cables and such. It was like a thick
electrical tape that you'd wrap and then heat to shrink. However I
can't seem to find anything on the internet today. ????
--
Gene Seibel KB0NNN
http://pad39a.com/gene/broadcast.html

Old March 28th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I
can't use the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too
large. Is there an equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item
and then heat shrink it?

About the size of a pencil. Will the 4 inch stuff shrink down that much?

I don't think anyone makes a heat shrink that with support that much
variation. Have you considered a product like *Dip-It* (sp). It is made for
coating tool handles, and is sold by a lot of hardware stores. I guess it
depends on what you are doing with it.

Old March 28th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I
can't use the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too
large. Is there an equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item
and then heat shrink it?

20 years ago I worked at a TV station where we had a heat shrink tape
that we used to repair camera cables and such. It was like a thick
electrical tape that you'd wrap and then heat to shrink. However I
can't seem to find anything on the internet today. ????

Something like that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Old March 28th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan Youngquist

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, it was written:

About the size of a pencil. Will the 4 inch stuff shrink down that much?

I have heat shrink tubing from tiny up to 1" diameter, that I mail ordered
from Harbor Freight. And I have some 2" stuff a friend gave me; I don't
know its source. I would think any electronic parts shop (local or
online) would have at least up to 1" or so.

-Dan
Old March 28th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gene Seibel

wrote:
I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I
can't use the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too
large. Is there an equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item
and then heat shrink it?

20 years ago I worked at a TV station where we had a heat shrink tape
that we used to repair camera cables and such. It was like a thick
electrical tape that you'd wrap and then heat to shrink. However I
can't seem to find anything on the internet today. ????

Something like that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's one that doesn't use heat
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T071/1793.pdf
--
Gene Seibel