Stress Analysis

Old January 18th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

Default Stress Analysis

J.Kahn wrote:
Charles Vincent wrote:
EAA still sells "Stress Without Tears" that takes you through the basic principles and
simplified equations for doing stress analysis of aircraft structures. If you can't master that, you aren't going to do much better learning the ins and outs of

meshing for FEA.

Don't see it on the EAA site but it is available on Amazon. Just what
I'm looking for.

I figured you had just missed it on the site, but I can't find it there
either. Can't find any of Pazmany's stuff either. Or any of the other
decent design material that carried just a couple of years ago. All they
have that seems even close is "Practical Light Plane Design and
Construction for Amateurs" by Fike. Sixty whole pages. Wow.
Hopefully none of those pages are wasted on composite antenna design.....

Charles
Old January 18th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Evan Carew

For anyone actually watching this thread who is interested in purchasing
the book, its ISBN is as follows:

ISBN-13: 978-0788113437

Evan
Old January 19th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

Evan Carew wrote:
For anyone actually watching this thread who is interested in purchasing
the book, its ISBN is as follows:

ISBN-13: 978-0788113437

Evan

Amazon is selling it used for $21. Aircraft Spruce sells it new for
$19. It appears that EAA may still sell it in the members area of their
website, but since I haven't upped mine again this year, I can't tell
for sure. The author, Tom Rhodes was a professional engineer that did
stress analysis for Republic on the reconnaissance version of the F-84F.
He later did stress analysis on the XB-70. The book, "Stress without
Tears" subtitled "A Primer on aircraft-stress analysis requiring no
advanced mathematics" was actually first published as a 42 part article
in "Kitplanes" in 1985. Rhodes actually went to the effort of having it
peer reviewed by other engineers in the field. It is not going to equip
you to do work for Boeing, but it will give you an understanding of the
basics and lead you into more advanced texts. A bargain at $20. It

Old January 19th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 17, 9:40*pm, "J.Kahn" wrote:
Charles Vincent wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 14, 11:31 am, "J.Kahn" wrote:
If someone was to design a steel tube fuselage or a modification to a
steel tube fuselage, does anybody know of a relatively inexpensive and
painless way to get a stress analysis done, or software to do it?

John

Sorry, I got two links mixed up. This link

http://homepage.usask.ca/~ijm451/fin...resources.html

has references that are free or donation asked. The MYSTRAN software
is $200 for a 1 year license. Cheap in the software world.

Regards,
Bud

A Finite Element Analysis package is worse than useless without mastery
of the basics. *If you can't do it by hand, what you get from FEA could
get you or someone else killed. *EAA still sells "Stress Without Tears"
that takes you through the basic principles and simplified equations for
doing stress analysis of aircraft structures. *If you can't master that,
you aren't going to do much better learning the ins and outs of meshing
for FEA.

Charles.

Don't see it on the EAA site but it is available on Amazon. * Just what
I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input all!

John- Hide quoted text -

If you are inclined to take a look at the real thing, not the Reader's
Digest version, you can download almost anything you want for free
from this site at NASA.

http://euler9.tripod.com/analysis/asm.html

There are also links to much more.

Regards,
Bud
Old January 19th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

wrote:

If you are inclined to take a look at the real thing, not the Reader's
Digest version, you can download almost anything you want for free
from this site at NASA.

http://euler9.tripod.com/analysis/asm.html

There are also links to much more.

Regards,
Bud

That is fascinating Bud and I have actually reviewed it before. Somehow
though I have missed the section on the stress analysis of a steel tube
fuselage.

The books recommended by myself and others are primers. As such they
give the reader the needed context of where to apply a euler equation to
an airframe and how to apply it.

Charles
Old January 19th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

wrote:

If you are inclined to take a look at the real thing, not the Reader's
Digest version, you can download almost anything you want for free
from this site at NASA.

http://euler9.tripod.com/analysis/asm.html

There are also links to much more.

Regards,
Bud

By the way, that is not in fact a NASA site, but a private site. The
NASA material can also be found on the NASA site though the last time I
looked. It is disheartening, but a lot of the NASA material (actually
NACA) has been made inaccessible in the last couple of years.

Charles