Overly restrictive business flying requirements.

Old August 21st 03, 11:44 PM
Wily Wapiti

Default Overly restrictive business flying requirements.

Hello.
I thought I'd bounce these off the group and see what people
think. These are the UniRegs at the University of Wyoming for flying
your own or rented plane on University business. I feel, as a
low-time private pilot that they are overly restrictive, but I thought
I'd see what the sage pelicans here thought.

WW

UniReg 177-12d:

(d) When approved in advance by the President, or designee, travel by
privately owned, rented, trade-out, or loaned aircraft may be
authorized, subject to the following requirements:

1) When a University employee wishes to utilize a privately owned,
rented, trade-out, or loaned aircraft for official University travel
(either with or without passengers), the pilot must, as a minimum
requirement:

i. Possess a current private pilot license issued in accordance with
Federal Aviation Administration regulations (FAR's), appropriate to
the craft to be flown, and must be in compliance with the currency
requirements of said FAR's with respect to flight time, biennial
flight review, and other requirements as appropriate to the ratings
held;

ii. Have logged a minimum of 500 hours of total flight time;

iii. Have an instrument rating, issued in accordance with the FAR's,
and must be current for flight in instrument conditions, as defined by
the FAR's;

iv. For night or actual instrument conditions, have logged a minimum
of 100 hours of instrument time, either actual or simulated; and

v. Not withstanding the requirements in paragraph iv.), no
authorization will be granted for single engine aircraft night or
actual instrument conditions.

2) Whenever travel is approved under this policy, the employee shall
verify to the approving University officer that the pilot possesses a
medical certificate issued by a FAA designated medical examiner and a
biennial flight review within the preceding 2 years. The pilot will
show proof of instrument currency, as defined by current FAR's (See,
for example, FAR 61.57).

3) Employees wishing to use personally owned aircraft for travel on
official business must obtain liability insurance coverage in an
amount not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence, and must include the
University of Wyoming as an "Additional Insured" on such policy. A
copy of an endorsement to the employee's policy reflecting the above
coverage, and a certificate of insurance issued to the University
shall be filed with the University's Risk Management Office and, by
reference, included on all purchase orders (Note: agent binder letters
are not acceptable).

4) Employees wishing to use leased, rented, borrowed, trade-out, or
other non-owned aircraft for official University travel must obtain
liability insurance coverage as described in paragraph 3) above, must
name the University as an "Additional Insured" on such policy, must
obtain adequate hull damage insurance to cover any possible loss of
the aircraft, and must provide documentation of such coverage as
required above.
Old August 22nd 03, 12:19 AM
Peter Gottlieb

The more cowardly BS I see from these companies, the more I realize that I
will only ever be happy with my own company.

"Max T, CFI" wrote in message
I work for a large high tech company and the insurance requirements
are even higher, and one can only get approval if it's "company

convenience"
which is hard to ever justify living near multiple airports with lots of

flights going
everywere. Effectively it keeps anyone from flying their own plane on

business any more.
Max T, CFI

om...

Old August 22nd 03, 12:49 AM
JerryK

Actually it just says you can't fly a single engine aircraft in IFR or
night. Probably not a bad restriction for flying over the intermountain
west.

jerry

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
Wily Wapiti wrote:
I thought I'd bounce these off the group and see what people
think. These are the UniRegs at the University of Wyoming for flying
your own or rented plane on University business.

That's a much longer way of saying essentially what the company I
work for says: No piloting aircraft on company business.

I do like the "must be instrument rated with 100 hours simulated or
actual, BUT you're limited to day VFR anyway".

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Old August 22nd 03, 01:04 AM
Dan Luke

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote:
The more cowardly BS I see from these companies, the more I realize
that I will only ever be happy with my own company.

Amen. I fly on business when I damned well please.

However, I have partners: I do not carry customers or employees with
me in defference to their worries about liability in the event of an
accident.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 22nd 03, 01:50 AM
Bob Gardner

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Probably driven by the University's
insurance carrier.

Many institutions/companys flat out forbid travel by non-commercial air.

Bob Gardner

Old August 22nd 03, 02:01 AM
John Gaquin

Sounds reasonable to me, given that their objective is to control the risk
to the University. Consider that once they turn you loose on approved
university business, even alone in a light single you have the capability of
bringing $50 million or more in litigation down on their head. I'd be damn
careful, too.

JG

Old August 22nd 03, 02:02 AM
John Harper

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Probably driven by the University's
insurance carrier.

Many institutions/companys flat out forbid travel by non-commercial air.

What does that mean? Does it mean they fire you if you fly yourself to
a business meeting, or just that they won't reimburse for it?

John

Old August 22nd 03, 02:10 AM
Jay Honeck

Amen. I fly on business when I damned well please.

Same here.

It's one of the greatest benefits of owning your own business, IMHO.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 26th 04 11:24 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Associate Publisher Wanted - Aviation & Business Journals Mergatroide Aviation Marketplace 1 January 13th 04 08:26 PM
Associate Publisher Wanted - Aviation & Business Journals Mergatroide General Aviation 1 January 13th 04 08:26 PM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM