Garmin takes over

Old February 27th 04, 07:11 PM
Scott Skylane

Tarver Engineering wrote:

The free flight Garmin equipment flying in Alaska is excellent and cheap.
so cheap that you can get the entire system for less than a Honeywell TCAS.
Honeywell has a digital display offering, but it can not compete at the
price Garmin is offering.

John,

If you are referring to the "Capstone" project currently underway here,
it is merely one component of the "free flight" concept, and
absolutely none of the hardware is provided by Garmin.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old February 27th 04, 07:15 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Scott Skylane" wrote in message
Tarver Engineering wrote:

The free flight Garmin equipment flying in Alaska is excellent and

cheap.
so cheap that you can get the entire system for less than a Honeywell

TCAS.
Honeywell has a digital display offering, but it can not compete at the
price Garmin is offering.

John,

If you are referring to the "Capstone" project currently underway here,
it is merely one component of the "free flight" concept, and
absolutely none of the hardware is provided by Garmin.

The story I saw in the trade journals was 100% UPSAT.

Do you have a different reference?

Old February 27th 04, 07:44 PM
Earl

The free flight Garmin equipment flying in Alaska is excellent and
cheap.
so cheap that you can get the entire system for less than a Honeywell

TCAS.
Honeywell has a digital display offering, but it can not compete at the
price Garmin is offering.

John,

If you are referring to the "Capstone" project currently underway here,
it is merely one component of the "free flight" concept, and
absolutely none of the hardware is provided by Garmin.

Garmin bought UPSAT, remember ?

Old February 27th 04, 07:46 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Earl" wrote in message
The free flight Garmin equipment flying in Alaska is excellent and

cheap.
so cheap that you can get the entire system for less than a Honeywell

TCAS.
Honeywell has a digital display offering, but it can not compete at

the
price Garmin is offering.

John,

If you are referring to the "Capstone" project currently underway here,
it is merely one component of the "free flight" concept, and
absolutely none of the hardware is provided by Garmin.

Garmin bought UPSAT, remember ?

Isn't that in part what the thread title is about?

Old February 27th 04, 08:00 PM
Scott Skylane

Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Scott Skylane" wrote in message

John,

If you are referring to the "Capstone" project currently underway here,
it is merely one component of the "free flight" concept, and
absolutely none of the hardware is provided by Garmin.

The story I saw in the trade journals was 100% UPSAT.

Do you have a different reference?

See:

http://www.alaska.faa.gov/capstone/

I guess some clarification is in order. The Phase I hardware was
provided by UPSAT, long before Garmin bought them. Development on Phase
I has ended, and to say that Garmin built those boxes is akin to saying
Boeing built the DC-3. I just don't think that way.

Phase II, the current project, is powered by Chelton displays, and the
same UAT boxes supplied under Phase I. So, yes, I guess I was incorrect
to exclude Garmin from the mix.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old February 27th 04, 08:05 PM
Tarver Engineering

Tarver Engineering wrote:

I guess some clarification is in order. The Phase I hardware was
provided by UPSAT, long before Garmin bought them. Development on Phase
I has ended, and to say that Garmin built those boxes is akin to saying
Boeing built the DC-3. I just don't think that way.

Garmin bought UPSAT to prevent itself from being frozen out of the GPS
market. Boeing never wabted anything from Douglas.

Phase II, the current project, is powered by Chelton displays, and the
same UAT boxes supplied under Phase I. So, yes, I guess I was incorrect
to exclude Garmin from the mix.

Paying $160 million for UPSAT is a pretty nice compliment from Garmin.

Old February 27th 04, 09:07 PM
FiPe

From: "Tarver Splapsgineering"

Paying $160 million for UPSAT is a pretty nice compliment from Garmin.

$32 million.

Fidel
Old February 27th 04, 09:35 PM
Thomas Borchert

Richard,

as I said elsewhe Your theory doesn't hold. There's Avidyne, Chelton
and others.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 27th 04, 09:47 PM
Tarver Engineering

From: "Tarver Splapsgineering"

Paying $160 million for UPSAT is a pretty nice compliment from Garmin.

$32 million.

EAA says we are both wrong:

Garmin Buys UPS Aviation Technologies
Garmin International announced it would acquire UPS Aviation Technologies,
Inc. for $38 million in cash. Once approved and completed, UPSAT will become
Garmin AT and will continue operating as a wholly owned subsidiary of Garmin
International. UPS AT, Salem, Oregon, is the acknowledged leader in
Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) technology and is working
with the FAA in developing the Safe Flight 21 and Alaskan Capstone programs.
www.garmin.com www.upsat.com

Old February 27th 04, 11:05 PM
John R. Copeland

wrote in message ...
=20
=20
.... If for no other reason that it
comes from the factory with all components truly talking to each =

other.
=20
=20

Naturally, that part about "talking to each other" is hugely important.
But it isn't mystical at all.
My new Honeywell ART 2000, and my old Ryan 9900BX talk very well to,
and also are digitally controlled by, my new Apollo MX20.
And my new Apollo CNX80, besides talking to 3 other Apollo boxes,
also talks quite well to my old Collins FD112V Flight Director.
That's what documented protocols and interfaces are for.

(Unfortunately, my ancient Hoskins fuel totalizer can't talk to =
anything.)
---JRC---