Jeppesen FliteMap- where do you put your laptop?

Old March 4th 04, 05:13 PM
Blanche

John T wrote:
"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemy, to drive him like the
wind before you, and to hear the lamentations of his women."

Yeah, but you're missing the all important accent!

"The best thing in life is to cwush yu enemy, to dwive him like the wind
befo yu, and to heah the lamentations of his wimmen."

But you forgot that it's absolutely required (for the full and
complete effect) to have the "Ride of the Valkyries" playing in
the background.

(*chortle*)
Old March 4th 04, 09:04 PM
Rob Thomas

What a great idea! I have a tablet that I use in my day to day work. I
never thought of yoke mounting it!

How did you go about mounting it? What tablet do you have?

r.

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
"Bill Padley" wrote in message

. ..
Hi all..

just upgraded my excellent Jepp flitestar IFR to flitemap (very good

deal it
was too ! )

I bought a new laptop which prompted this , the very small Sony TR1MP...
Im very impressed with the software indeed, but one question to those

who
have Flitemap..

where do you put your laptop , so you can use it? - is it actually

usable in
flight, or do you really someone in the right hand seat to be using it?
Given that my laptop is small , the coaming would be the obvious, but

even
that would restrict the view

Any answers appreciated..its a great bit of kit!

Bill Padley
London

I got a tablet, removed the battery, reduced the weight to 1 lb and yoke
mounted it.

Laptops are far too large for aircraft use. Referencing the map or plates
is going to require turning your head a lot, and the laptop might start
moving.

Old March 5th 04, 12:17 AM
Scott Moore

"Rob Thomas" wrote in message ...
What a great idea! I have a tablet that I use in my day to day work. I
never thought of yoke mounting it!

How did you go about mounting it? What tablet do you have?

r.

I have a Fujitsu tablet. These were produced before the "Microsoft wave"
hit, and are much smaller than a standard tablet without a keyboard,
about the size of an approach plate.

There (apparently) is no commercial mount for it, so I created my own
from aluminum channel stock using a drill and an existing yoke plate
holder. I put plastic rigid foam underneath it to hold it up off the yoke,
and tied it in using wire wrap ties. This was necesary because the plate
mount was not designed for a 1 lb weight, and would vibrate.

I power the unit via the 12v plug (Cessna 172 12v system), and a "battery
starter" unit that has a lead-acid battery sealed into a unit with auto
power plugs going in and out (it was designed to help start your car),
for $36. The airplane can keep it charged, and it provides complete
self-contained backup for the whole system without needing a battery
on the tablet itself, which makes the tablet both smaller and lighter.
The battery is mounted on the floor between the seats.

For the GPS, I choose a USB "all in one" GPS/antenna. These units are
hard to find, but have only one cord and no external power connection,
because the USB itself carries power. The entire GPS fits in the antenna,
which is double sided taped to the window at the top. The wires are taped
to the side of the cockpit, so it still qualifies as "add on" equipment.
Probally the only problem with that is they keep ripping it all out
at annual time, and I have to redo everything.

I have an in-panel GPS as well. This system is essentially a complete
dual backup with its own display, GPS and power. I run Jepp Flightmap
and Flightdeck on it. The only serious problem is that these two
peices of software don't cooperate, so you have to cancel out of one
to get the other. Jepp has promised to fix this, but so far nothing.
The system will be worlds better when it can switch to "approach mode"
and start showing you plates after the enroute mode. I have essentially
let the flightmap subscription lapse and kept the plates because of
this.

To use this system under real IFR, it takes lots of practice, and I
always keep the paper plates nearby. If I find myself arguing with the
unit, I get the plate out and forget about it for a while. I find the
best use of the unit is to get absolute situational awareness of
terrain at night, since Flightmap gives you your profile over the
ground and AGL at any time.

Luck !