Question on Avidyne FlightMax

Old March 7th 04, 12:54 PM
Jim Caldwell

Default Question on Avidyne FlightMax

How do you update the GPS database? Does it have a portable uploader with a
CD-ROM? How long does it take? I have to keep a fleet of King Air arcraft
updated. They have an obsolete Interstate GPS system. The portable uploader
is floppy-disk based. You have to feed in a set of floppies, and the whole
update takes 40 minutes! But they are going to install Flightmax 850
avionics in them soon.

Old March 8th 04, 01:52 AM
Henry

How do you update the GPS database? Does it have a portable uploader with
CD-ROM? How long does it take? I have to keep a fleet of King Air

arcraft
updated. They have an obsolete Interstate GPS system. The portable

uploader
is floppy-disk based. You have to feed in a set of floppies, and the

whole
update takes 40 minutes! But they are going to install Flightmax 850
avionics in them soon.

You update the nav database on the FlightMax separately from that on the
GPS. The GPS feeds position and flight plan to the FlightMax and the GPS
has its own database. The Flight max uses a CDROM and only takes a couple
of minutes to update. It's up to you if you want to keep the FlightMax up
to date or not because its secondary information only. You may want to do
it like once a year or six months to save money. It's the GPS database you
want to make sure you keep current. When the Flight Max shows the waypoints
in the GPS flight plan, those come from the GPS. The flight max database
has all the map information like airspace, nav aids, airports and stuff like
that. If you're going to update the Flight Max database every month, either
install the CDROM in the plane or make sure you can get at the back of the
flightmax easy.

Old March 8th 04, 04:47 PM
Jim Caldwell

OK...the GPS database is separate from the FlightMax database. But isn't
there a GPS unit that is an integral part of the FlightMax system? I mean,
you don't but a Garmin to use with FlightMax, do you?
If it is an integral Avidyne GPS interfaced to FLightMax, then what about
updating *it*? I suppose it also has a CD-ROM uploader (but a different
one?)...and does it update as fast?

Old March 8th 04, 10:44 PM
Henry

OK...the GPS database is separate from the FlightMax database. But isn't
there a GPS unit that is an integral part of the FlightMax system? I mean,
you don't but a Garmin to use with FlightMax, do you?
If it is an integral Avidyne GPS interfaced to FLightMax, then what about
updating *it*? I suppose it also has a CD-ROM uploader (but a different
one?)...and does it update as fast?

There is not a GPS in teh flightmax. It uses a separate GPS, but works with
almost anything out there. Call Avi-Dyne, they'll help you, usually pretty
good about it when I called.

Old March 9th 04, 06:08 PM
JerryK

"Jim Caldwell" wrote in message
OK...the GPS database is separate from the FlightMax database. But isn't
there a GPS unit that is an integral part of the FlightMax system? I mean,
you don't but a Garmin to use with FlightMax, do you?
If it is an integral Avidyne GPS interfaced to FLightMax, then what about
updating *it*? I suppose it also has a CD-ROM uploader (but a different
one?)...and does it update as fast?

Unless the 850 is quite a bit different than my 650, the 850 derives all of
its position information from an external source via ARINC 429 or RS232
interface. In my case the external source is a Garmin GNS 430. Without the
Garmin, the 650 is a nice radar display, but not a lot more.

As far as updates go, the 650 has it's own database and must be updated
separately from the GPS update. There is a separate subscription for the
Avidyne unit. The updates come in the form of a CD. To update you simply
load the CD in the reader and start the Avidyne. The 650 will detect the CD
and ask you to confirm the update. It takes anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes
to update the database and maps.

jerry

Old March 11th 04, 04:59 AM
Jim Caldwell

Jerry, as for updating the FLightmax avionics, is that "reader" or
uploader a portable device that you plug into an ARINC connector, or is it
an integral part of the avionics? I presume the Garmin also uses a similar
CDROM uploader? How long does updating the Garmin usually take?

Old March 12th 04, 05:10 AM
Mark Manes

The Avidyne updater is a self powered ZipDrive. You get a CD from Jeppesen
and you load the update onto the ZipDrive, then take it to the aircraft and
plug it into a usb port in the front of the Avidyne (at least that's the way
it works on the Flightmax EX500)
Garmin uses a proprietary Data Card that you update from a PC Card slot on a
computer.
the Jepp update is downloaded via the internet using Jepps DataWriter
software and hardware. Then just take the data card to the aircraft and
plug it in.

--
Mark Manes
WC5I

"JerryK" wrote in message

[...]

---

Test Prop Question Dick Home Built 0 August 18th 04 09:26 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM