Center: Say type aircraft... Me: Citabria 7GCBC, Center: Ahhhhh???

Old October 2nd 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nik

Default Center: Say type aircraft... Me: Citabria 7GCBC, Center: Ahhhhh???

Ok so I requested flight-following because my route took me into pretty
high traffic areas (inside Class B and surrounding)
I was on a Flight Plan and requested center to give me flight
following, ok call made, radar contact established 10 miles NW of XXX.
Then he asked me: say type aircraft, I said: Citabria 7GCBC, the
controller seemed confused for a second, and just said in reply,
allright we'll lookout for you.
Other than that the flight went on perfectly and as planned.

Is the type I am saying wrong? Should it be CH7A instead of Citabria
7GCBC?

Help me out here guys...

Old October 2nd 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Just Citabria should do.

ps.com...

Old October 2nd 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Nik" wrote in message
ps.com...

Ok so I requested flight-following because my route took me into pretty
high traffic areas (inside Class B and surrounding)
I was on a Flight Plan and requested center to give me flight
following, ok call made, radar contact established 10 miles NW of XXX.
Then he asked me: say type aircraft, I said: Citabria 7GCBC, the
controller seemed confused for a second, and just said in reply,
allright we'll lookout for you.
Other than that the flight went on perfectly and as planned.

Is the type I am saying wrong? Should it be CH7A instead of Citabria
7GCBC?

Help me out here guys...

The best response would be CH7B, it's what would be needed for computer
entry.

Old October 2nd 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 1 Oct 2006 21:24:27 -0700, "Nik" wrote in
om:

Then he asked me: say type aircraft, I said: Citabria 7GCBC, the
controller seemed confused for a second, and just said in reply,
allright we'll lookout for you.
Other than that the flight went on perfectly and as planned.

Is the type I am saying wrong? Should it be CH7A instead of Citabria
7GCBC?

Help me out here guys...

You seem to be aware of the information provided in the table he
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/acdesig.html . That it the Type
Designator ATC expects to receive from pilots.

Old October 2nd 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nik

Just Citabria did not do it either yesterday...
So I should say CH7B and then my N number right?

-Nik

Old October 2nd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Badaracco

I was flying home from Hunstville, AL yesterday. Did this happen around
the NC/SC border? I think I heard the exchange. The controller clearly
had no idea what type aircraft this was.

Rich Badaracco
Director - Angel Flight North Carolina

Old October 2nd 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 2 Oct 2006 08:01:41 -0700, "Nik" wrote in
.com:

So I should say CH7B and then my N number right?

When ATC says, "Say aircraft type." Your response should be, "CH7B."
You might want to consult the Aeronautical Information Manual
http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/ for information on correct radio
procedure. After that, if you find you would like to research the
subject further, I heartily recommend Mr. Gardner's book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...75731?v=glance
Old October 3rd 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Citabria would have been enough..
Actually he was asking for what type of Flight plan ID you use in the
"aircraft type" section
so he could load it in his computer. Answer up with that and he would have
been happy.

BT