Register on a Triennial Cycle

Old July 20th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Default Register on a Triennial Cycle

In an effort to keep their US Fleet registration data more accurate,
the FAA ARB will expire registrations on a three year cycle, starting
October next.

http://www.ofr.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2010-17572_PI.pdf

Brian W

Old July 20th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

brian whatcott wrote:
In an effort to keep their US Fleet registration data more accurate,
the FAA ARB will expire registrations on a three year cycle, starting
October next.

http://www.ofr.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2010-17572_PI.pdf

Brian W

My personal favorite from page 62 of the report:

"§ 47.45 Change of address.
Within 30 days after any change in a registered owner’s mailing address, the
registered owner must notify the Registry in writing of the change of
address. If a post
office box or mailing drop is used for mailing purposes, the registered
owner also must
63
provide that owner’s physical address or location. Upon acceptance, the
Registry will
issue, without charge, a revised Certificate of Aircraft Registration,
AC Form 8050-3,
reflecting the new mailing address. When a post office box or mailing
drop is used for
mailing purposes, and the registered owner’s physical address or
location changes, the
registered owner must notify the Registry in writing of the new address
or location within
30 days."

WTF? Isn't that why they say they are going to this 3 year
registration...because people fail to send in change of addresses??? I
suppose it will be better for them as with the "new" system, files can
only be a maximum of three years out of date. So drug smugglers will
only be able to use a plane for smuggling for 3 years before the FAA
cancels their N Number, forcing them to buy (steal) a new airplane.
Gotta love the gov....

And from page 1 (the purpose of the new reg):

"These
amendments will improve the accuracy of the Civil Aviation Registry
database and will
ensure that aircraft owners provide information to maintain accurate
registration records.
These amendments respond to the concerns of law enforcement and other
government
agencies to provide more accurate, up-to-date aircraft registration
information."

Again, the cops could be getting 3 year old information. Maybe they
need to make us file a new application daily so they can keep up with us....

Ace
Old July 20th 10, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 7/19/2010 6:00 PM, Scott wrote:

WTF? Isn't that why they say they are going to this 3 year
registration...because people fail to send in change of addresses???
I suppose it will be better for them as with the "new" system, files
can only be a maximum of three years out of date. So drug smugglers
will only be able to use a plane for smuggling for 3 years before the
FAA cancels their N Number, forcing them to buy (steal) a new
airplane. Gotta love the gov....

Why would drug runners want to fly a stolen airplane with the actual,
known as stolen, N numbers on it? Wouldn't they just repaint them after
they steal it? And do they really use a stolen plane for that long,
instead a month or two, because of the risk of getting caught, and the
cost of maintenance? If you want to use it long term, it seems much
easier and safer to just buy one - the profits are there to make a good ROI.

Or is this some odd humor I don't get?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old July 20th 10, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

Stephen! wrote:
Scott wrote in
:

Within 30 days after any change in a registered owner's mailing
address, the registered owner must notify the Registry in writing of
the change of address. If a post office box or mailing drop is used for
mailing purposes, the registered owner also must provide that owner's
physical address or location.

A few years ago I moved to an address that was "off the grid" as far as
the USPS was concerned (even though the address was at least 100 years
old). As such I was unable to do an address change with the FAA online.
I needed to do it on paper and provide a physical description of the
location of my house.

When I asked the FAA, via email, what I would have to do if I lived "in
a van down by the river" I was quite surprised and amused by their
answer. Who knew the FAA had a sense of humor?:

From: Airmen
Subject: Airmen Services - Problem
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:11:59 -0600

Due to Drug Enforcement and FAA Regulations, we must have a physical
address when the airman is using a P.O. Box number. If the airman is
living in a van, he must give the location where van is parked, license
tag number and VIN number or other identifying information. He could
draw a map of the location down by the river and state the river and
location from other identifying markers.
If the airman lives on a boat, he must give boat slip location, and
information of the boat.
Thank you for your inquiry.

Regards,
Airmen Certification Branch

CLASSIC! I assume the van would be dead and undriveable so as to always
be present at the spot on the map provided to the FAA. God forbid if
they happened to show up while you were out shopping!

Old July 20th 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

My point was that with the new system, addresses can still be up to 3
years out of date and the FAA published in their final ruling that this
new registration is to help provide law enforcement with timely info.

Old July 20th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jul 20, 5:14*am, Scott wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

I once read a calculation that if the entire US GA fleet was used for
drug smuggling, it could supply only about 10% of the demand. There
just aren't enough airplanes and they can't carry enough or fly far or
fast enough. In reality, we're talking about maybe 1% coming in by GA
aircraft. We're just a high profile target for the DEA/FAA.

Most likely the vast majority of drugs are rolling across our borders
in heavily laden 18 wheel semi-trucks. Or using the new tactic -
submarines.

The Chinese are happy to sell their latest diesel-electric subs to
anyone with $300M cash - pocket change for a drug cartel. These subs
are so stealthy they have taken to surprising the US Navy by surfacing
within torpedo range of our carriers. I can imagine deals where the
Chinese trade training for cartel sub crews for information on eluding
the US Navy. There's probably a "Narco-sub" in Chesapeake Bay right
now - they don't have to tell the FAA where they live.

Old July 20th 10, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

this comes under the "No New Taxes"
promise
tim

"bildan" wrote in message

database 5296 (20100720) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5296 (20100720) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old July 21st 10, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 7/20/2010 3:26 PM, Stephen! wrote:
wrote in news:nMWdnZUAA-
:

CLASSIC! I assume the van would be dead and undriveable so as to always
be present at the spot on the map provided to the FAA. God forbid if
they happened to show up while you were out shopping!

Heh... I've been in the "van down by the river" situation except I
didn't have the luxury of owning a van. I suspect a guy could keep a pile
of address change forms handy.

I've often thought of adapting to a nomadic lifestyle ala motorhome or
some such thing and wondered what I'd do for a physical address...

One method used to be, probably still is, to choose a campground in a
place you like, and in a state with taxes friendly to your financial
situation. You have a physical address, they forward your mail every
couple of weeks, you get to vote, and so on. How often you have to
actually be in the state varies from state to state, but there are web
sites and pamphlets available to give you advice. For many people, a
state with no income tax is best, since you don't have much property or
buy much stuff there, property tax and sales tax rates don't have much
effect.

Get a motorglider, and the nomadic life can be pretty good!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

Old July 22nd 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve

On Jul 20, 9:10*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Sooo, what states are better for owning a glider in? I've heard that
Montana doesn't charge a tax when you sell or buy a glider there.
Other states charge a tax on the glider if you move there with it.
Anybody know what the most glider friendly states are? How about
Texas and Florida? Texas doesn't have an income tax but the property
taxes on houses seem very high, at least in the Dallas to McKinney
area.
Old July 22nd 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 7/21/2010 7:01 PM, Steve wrote:
On Jul 20, 9:10 pm, Eric wrote:

[...]

House costs aren't an issue if you are going full-time in your RV;
instead, you want to know how much they charge for having that Texas
license plate on it. Some states have low fees for RVs, some have high
fees. In Washington state, for example, the fee is ~$30 for the license
plus a weight based fee that's about $100 for my 11,000 pound RV. For an
expensive RV, it's a lot cheaper system than one we used to have, which
was about 2% of market value per year.

Gliders are cheap to keep here, and we have no income tax, but you do
have to pay sales/use tax when you buy one.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

430W/When does the glideslope register scott moore Instrument Flight Rules 5 September 27th 07 02:32 AM
Falke/T61 register Ian Walton Soaring 1 June 13th 06 09:06 AM
Triennial Registration Forms G.R. Patterson III Owning 2 May 22nd 04 10:32 PM
Returning stored aircraft to register george mcleod Restoration 2 December 6th 03 02:07 PM
Register your opinions Sunny Military Aviation 7 July 23rd 03 10:12 AM