FAA doesn't know FBOs.

Old February 5th 04, 03:11 PM
Kyler Laird

Default FAA doesn't know FBOs.

In another thread, I asked if the FAA keeps track of FBOs. I
decided to submit that question to the FAA. I received a timely
and complete response.
You asked if FAA maintains a list of fixed base operators for each airport.

The FAA does not. You need to contact the individual airports for this
information.

It surprises me a bit that they don't know the FBOs are at an
airport. Perhaps some other organization (Transportation?) does?
I would expect some licensing of fuel facilities.

--kyler
Old February 5th 04, 03:48 PM
James M. Knox

Kyler Laird wrote in
:

It surprises me a bit that they don't know the FBOs are at an
airport. Perhaps some other organization (Transportation?) does?
I would expect some licensing of fuel facilities.

Fuel facilities would be under probably several other agencies. But lots
of FBO's don't have fuel.

Heck, we're luck the FAA keeps track of airports! [Couldn't prove it,
given the rate we keep "losing" airports these days. {:(]

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old February 5th 04, 04:26 PM
Blanche

I doubt any other US Govt agency keeps track of anything relating to
FBOs or anything else other than the physical existence of the
airport. Businesses (that's the FBO) are state issues, not Federal.
The state worries about taxes (on the fuel and such), safety of
fuel, safety of the buildings, etc.

Old February 5th 04, 05:06 PM

The FAA is governed by 49 USC 40113 etc from whence 14 CFR springs, the
beloved FARs. The FAA is mandated to do things in some areas, has discretion
in some others, while the remainder are outside the FAA's benevolent sphere.

FBOs that have a certificate (141, 142, 135, 125, 121) and so on in the
maintenance arena, come under the FAA required work programs.

If no certificate then it depends on resources. In my FSDO we do assign ASIs
to part 61 operators, the operators like having (1) no certificate, but (2)
a single point of contact. However the operator can ignore us as long as
nothing goes wrong if they so choose. That extra work does NOT count towards
an inspector's "complexity" (work load).

As resources dwindle, for example the 2 year hiring freeze in the FAA, more
work will be contracted out (see last week's NPRM - where 141, 142 and some
other certifications will be delegated outside the FAA) and less
discretionary activities will happen.

Simon
AWP-FSDO-SDL