Renting in Toronto

Old June 18th 04, 01:17 PM
Royce Brown

Default Renting in Toronto

Going to Toronto and Niagra Falls with my daughter on vacation in late
July. Was thinking about finding a local airport that might rent a plane
(guessing an instructor would have to tag along) for a couple hours for
some sightseeing.

Anyone done any flying in this area and can reccomend someone there to
contact or a place to look up a flight school nearby that would rent
planes?

Old June 18th 04, 05:32 PM
Peter Weaver

Royce Brown wrote:
Going to Toronto and Niagra Falls with my daughter on vacation in late
July. Was thinking about finding a local airport that might rent a
plane (guessing an instructor would have to tag along) for a couple
hours for some sightseeing.

Anyone done any flying in this area and can reccomend someone there to
contact or a place to look up a flight school nearby that would rent
planes?

If it were me, I would drive to St. Catharines and rent from the St.
Catharines Flying Club at 905-684-9447. But then again, I live in St.
Catharines and always rent from the SCFC.

If you want to fly from Toronto then you should be able to rent a plane
at the Toronto Island (aka City Centre) Airport or at the Markham
airport, but I do not have any phone numbers handy. From either of those
two airports you will have to find your way around (or through?) the
traffic at the Toronto's main airport.

--
Peter Weaver
Weaver Consulting Services Inc.

Old June 18th 04, 11:33 PM
Royce Brown

"Peter Weaver" writes:
If it were me, I would drive to St. Catharines and rent from the St.
Catharines Flying Club at 905-684-9447. But then again, I live in St.
Catharines and always rent from the SCFC.

How far outside Toronto is St. Catharines? How close to Niagra Falls can
you fly? I'm guessing it is some sort of restricted zone?

Old June 18th 04, 11:40 PM
Rick Macklem

"Peter Weaver" wrote in message ...
Royce Brown wrote:

Anyone done any flying in this area and can reccomend someone there to
contact or a place to look up a flight school nearby that would rent
planes?

If it were me, I would drive to St. Catharines and rent from the St.
Catharines Flying Club at 905-684-9447. But then again, I live in St.
Catharines and always rent from the SCFC.

Just in case you weren't aware, St. Catherines is near Niagara Falls.
(If you
would like to fly out of there, but would prefer a stearman or
extra300 ride,
you can call 1-888-fly-hard.)

For the Toronto area, there are lots of alternatives. If you go to
www.copanational.org, then look under "learning to fly", "certified
airplanes" and then southern ontario, you'll get lots of listings.

Some of the more popular:
- west side of Toronto, Brampton Flying Club 905-838-1400
- east side of Toronto, Toronto Airways, Buttonville airport
- Toronto lakeshore, downtown, Toronto City Centre Airport (don't have
the
names of the schools currently there, but the copa listing should
cover
them
- half way in between Toronto and Niagara falls
- Hamilton Flying Club at Hamilton Mount Hope airport
- Grimsby Aviation at Grimsby (just on the Niagara falls side of
Hamilton)
905-945-6161

and a bunch of others.

Have fun whatever you choose, rick
ps: To fly on your own, you would need a checkout plus a Canadian
license
(which is issued by Transport Canada based on a foreign PPL or
higher).
Probably too much hassle for one or two flights, so taking the
instructor
along makes sense.