Snow-covered airplane

Old March 19th 04, 04:20 PM
MontyJ

I was based at Hampton also many years ago. Anyway I just wanted to
add that I think if you go into Winter with a good fresh coat of
polish/wax on your plane you will find the snow comes off more easily,
just as it does on a car.

Monty

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
So what do we do with a snow-covered airplane to fly it? The snow pushes
off easily enough, so none of it appears to be stuck ice. Is it enough to
push it off with a broom, or should I have the FBO give it some de-ice as
well?

At 7B3 Hampton New Hampshire, we used to have a very large squeegee
that did a pretty good job of removing snow. I haven't seen it in use
for several years, because the planes are always hangared now in
winter. I think the squeegee was supplemented with towels.

Snow on the aircraft is very serious business, evidently.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old March 21st 04, 06:25 PM
Ash Wyllie

Andrew Gideon opined

So what do we do with a snow-covered airplane to fly it? The snow pushes
off easily enough, so none of it appears to be stuck ice. Is it enough to
push it off with a broom, or should I have the FBO give it some de-ice as
well?

Silly question, I know, but I've never done this before!

Wing covers and a broom.

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

The Best Airplane Veeduber Home Built 1 February 13th 04 05:43 AM
Homebuilt Aircraft Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Ron Wanttaja Home Built 2 February 2nd 04 11:41 PM