Flying a sailplane is like...

Old April 29th 05, 08:37 PM
Metalman

Flying a sailplane is like drinking urine.

Roger Worden wrote:
Seen on a trailer:

Flying an airplane is like drinking champagne

Flying an ultralight is like drinking moonshine with a kick

So... what do you think flying a sailplane is like drinking?

Old April 29th 05, 09:15 PM
nafod40

Metalman wrote:
Flying a sailplane is like drinking urine.

Or Coors, which turns to urine directly in your mouth.

Old April 29th 05, 10:37 PM

How would you know?

Old May 1st 05, 03:43 AM

Funny Roger (the first message in this thread) should ask. I just
wrote something on this for a friend. The response from the group will
be interesting (I'm braced for the corrections, so try to remember,
this was supposed to be a right brain description, not a totally
accurate scientific one). So here it is:

Why does soaring draw us so powerfully that we will spend hours
preparing for a flight, sit for hours more in a cockpit that makes
Economy Class seating seem cavernous, and come home ecstatic from the
experience?

Why, when we catch a glimpse of a soaring bird, must we stop whatever
we were doing and marvel at the beauty of wings dancing with air
currents?

When someone asked me these questions - actually she asked how I
became involved in soaring, but that is really the same question - I
responded that I must have been a hawk in a former life. It isn't
that I am a firm believer in reincarnation. It's just that there is
no rational explanation for the joy that I derive from soaring, so a
totally crazy answer is closest to the truth.

There is something mystical about seeing the earth from on high in a
glider. Even the Central Valley is beautiful and the Sierras are
absolutely awesome. While logic would say that those views should be
equally impressive from a power plane, the experience is magnified many
times over by being one with the air, dancing with it, using its
resistance in the vertical dimension to overcome its resistance in the
direction of flight. A thermal transforms what is usually thought of as
air resistance into air propulsion. What alchemy!

The experience is further enhanced as we approach cloud base. As we fly
through wisps of mist that are forming the cloud above us I cannot help
but think "This is the closest a person can come to heaven while
still on this plane." So the next time someone asks me why I became
involved in soaring, maybe I'll answer "To better glimpse the Face
of God."

Old May 3rd 05, 02:52 PM
Bill Gribble

So very well put.

Though that said, you suggest there is no "rational explanation" to the
question of why you would be so drawn to soaring, whereas I fail to see
that the question itself is rational in the first place.

Why would you not?

It's a continual source of befuddlement to me that anybody could be
offered the chance or possibility of soaring flight and be able to just
walk away untouched or ask "why would I want to do that?"

But never mind. My home club is holding an Open Day this coming Sunday,
so I'll get ample opportunity to explore this question and proclaim the
virtues of our art to a curious public, I guess!

-Bill

writes

--
Bill Gribble
http://www.scapegoatsanon.demon.co.uk
Old May 3rd 05, 03:38 PM
Nyal Williams

Whatzit like drinking?

Mother Nature's milk!

Old May 4th 05, 02:58 AM
Roger Worden

source of befuddlement to me that anybody could be
offered the chance or possibility of soaring flight and be able to just
walk away untouched or ask "why would I want to do that?"

Umm.... fear for their life? Maybe not rational, but real to many.

"Bill Gribble" wrote in
message .. .

Old May 4th 05, 03:30 AM
Tony Verhulst

It's a continual source of befuddlement to me that anybody could be
offered the chance or possibility of soaring flight and be able to just
walk away untouched or ask "why would I want to do that?"

I don't have that answer but I've learned to accept it. It boggles the
mind (OK, my mind) to realize that in a function room with 100 people in
it, only one or two have an interest in flying.

Glider ride gift certificates are popular presents. The FBO I used to
fly rides for loved them as only 40% were ever redeemed. It was like
printing money.

Tony V.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/SOARING
Old May 5th 05, 02:07 PM