How do you do a hold on a 530W?

Old May 3rd 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

Default How do you do a hold on a 530W?

I know the Garmin 530W will lead you through a published hold, such as on
the missed approach, but is there any way to get it to lead you through an
ad hoc en-route hold, like when ATC tells you to hold at a certain VOR?

It looks like if I hit the OBS button it will stop sequencing, but what
can I do then?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
FAQs are like flatulence. Any asshole can produce them.
Old May 3rd 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
ArtP

On Thu, 3 May 2007 01:36:13 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

I know the Garmin 530W will lead you through a published hold, such as on
the missed approach, but is there any way to get it to lead you through an
ad hoc en-route hold, like when ATC tells you to hold at a certain VOR?

It looks like if I hit the OBS button it will stop sequencing, but what
can I do then?

If it is not a published hold in an approach you are on your own.

Old May 3rd 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Pixel Dent

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

I know the Garmin 530W will lead you through a published hold, such as on
the missed approach, but is there any way to get it to lead you through an
ad hoc en-route hold, like when ATC tells you to hold at a certain VOR?

It looks like if I hit the OBS button it will stop sequencing, but what
can I do then?

I don't know if the 530 is different, but on the 430 you create a user
waypoint[1], set direct to that user waypoint, hit the obs button to put
it in obs mode, and then turn the obs dial to the heading on which you
want to hold.

[1] On the 430 to create a user defined waypoint you do something like
press in the right knob to put it in cursor mode, then hit enter a
couple times... or something like that.
Old May 3rd 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
bsalai

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

I know the Garmin 530W will lead you through a published hold, such as on
the missed approach, but is there any way to get it to lead you through an
ad hoc en-route hold, like when ATC tells you to hold at a certain VOR?

It looks like if I hit the OBS button it will stop sequencing, but what
can I do then?

If it is not a published hold in an approach you are on your own.

You can get it to draw the inbound course by turning the OBS knob,
that's not as good as the entire hold, but it is some help.

The 480 does a much better job with this, it will draw a hold at any
arbitrary waypoint.

Brad
Old May 3rd 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Pixel,

but on the 430 you create a user
waypoint[1], set direct to that user waypoint, hit the obs button to put
it in obs mode, and then turn the obs dial to the heading on which you
want to hold.

Not sure if you are aware of it, but Paul alludes to a new capability of
the W-units, which will actually fully guide you through a published hold
or turn (including the "bent" part of the track) - something the
non-W-units can't do. His question is whether this can be set up for a
non-published hold.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 3rd 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
Not sure if you are aware of it, but Paul alludes to a new capability of
the W-units, which will actually fully guide you through a published hold
or turn (including the "bent" part of the track) - something the
non-W-units can't do. His question is whether this can be set up for a
non-published hold.

Just so we're clear here, I did my homework before asking here. I
couldn't find it in the manual, and the two entries in the index for
"holds" were about the approach and missed approach holds, nor could I
figure out anything with the 530W simulator.

Also, unlike the simulator, our GPS isn't hooked into the CDI so that
twisting the CDI affects the OBS setting. I wish the simulator allowed
you to simulate that setup as well. I also wish the simulator didn't
constantly have the MSG showing "Don't use this for navigation" - I'm not
mxmanic, I know the difference between a computer and an airplane, thank
you very much.

(BTW: Has anybody figured out how to install the simulator on Linux using
Wine/Crossover Office? I tried and failed.)

--
Paul Tomblin
http://blog.xcski.com/
Old May 3rd 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On May 2, 6:36 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
I know the Garmin 530W will lead you through a published hold, such as on
the missed approach, but is there any way to get it to lead you through an
ad hoc en-route hold, like when ATC tells you to hold at a certain VOR?

It looks like if I hit the OBS button it will stop sequencing, but what
can I do then?

That's one of the benefits of the 480, much more holding support.

-Robert, CFII