First Solo X-Country (long)

Old November 26th 05, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default First Solo X-Country (long)

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to pat myself on the back and make a quality post to this
newsgroup. Today was the day I was to do my first solo X-country. My
primary airport is Long Beach (LGB), and my instructor is particular to
doing initial x-countries to French Valley (F70). Fine by me since I start
my descent over Canyon Lake, and that is where my grandparents live. I
decided to take the opportunity to meet my grand parents for lunch because I
don't get to see them, and because my grand father is a WWII pilot. It was
my first opportunity to show him that I had what it takes to be a pilot
myself.

Unfortunately when I woke up this morning the weather was complete cra_.
That was hard to believe since every other day this week was perfect. So I
phoned my instructor, and he told me that if I had to time to just wait it
out for improvement. Finally around 11:30 am pst the weather was beginning
to look decent, so I headed down to Long Beach to get ready. At about 1:00
pm they were finally calling 4 miles visibility with haze in LGB,
unrestricted in F70. My instructor and I decided (he was in vegas, but
available by phone) that it would be fine, and I headed out. I called my
grandparents to let them know that I would be on my way.

As I started my climb from Long Beach, it started to become very clear why
they were only calling it 4 miles visibility. It was probably around 2-3
miles because of the horrendous haze. That didn't really matter, because I
was going to be flying to and from Paradise VOR. So I just got on course,
and got going. On the way out I was able to spot every one of my
checkpoints. I also remembered to shut off the fuel pump, and adjust the
mixture. I did a flow check every few minutes. As I got over Canyon Lake I
started my decent just as the airport came into view. Unlike my last flight
there, I was able to do a perfect, to the book, non towered approach. After
I parked the plane, I was thrilled to see my grandparents at the gates. I
knew that they had seen my landing, and I couldn't have been more thrilled.
In fact I was kind of choked up because I had just accomplished something
that I have waited over 20 years to do, and that they were there to see it.

We had lunch at the airport, and I walked out to the plane to do my once
over. After that I met back up with my grandparents. I walked them out to
the plane so they could see it. I said my goodbyes and taxied to the run up
area. I made a departure at about 3:45 pm and got back to altitude. At
this point though, it was clear that with the sun setting, I was going to
have my work cut out for me. They were claiming 5 miles visibility at LGB,
but I would say it was closer to 1 1/2 miles. On my way back I made out my
checkpoints up to the VOR, and again resumed navigation to Long Beach.
After that though, the haze was so bad I really couldn't tell any land
marks, nor which direction I was heading. Although this gave me a little
bit of butterflies in my stomach, I knew that I was very good at VOR
navigation, so if I followed the needle, it would take me home. Also being
on flight following, I knew it would difficult to get to lost.

SoCal approach was very helpful in that I never had to call them, they just
knew where I was going, so they told me when to descend. The scary part was
when they handed me off to Long Beach. I knew at that point that I wasn't
100% sure of my location, so what was I going to tell Long Beach. I knew I
had to request landing. So I tuned to Seal Beach VOR in NAV2, and
triangulated my position. At that point I was fairly certain that I was
over the 91/605 interchange. I could see the 605, but not the 91. My best
guess is that I was flying directly over the 91. Anyways I contacted Long
Beach and gave my position as 91/605 for landing 25L. They told me to
follow the 605 for a right base. So I did just that. Then they told me I
was clear to land. I knew at that point I had to confess that I still had
no clue where the airport was. They were very cool about it, and said they
would call me final, just maintain my base over the 605. They finally told
me to turn to 250, and the airport was 2 1/2 miles ahead with the runway
lights on high. About 20 seconds later the airport was in sight.

Wow what a rush. I just did my first solo cross country, made my
grandparents proud, and flew home essentially by instrument. I'm sure you
will be seeing a post in a couple weeks about my Checkride!!!!

--
John Huthmaker

http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Old November 26th 05, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John Huthmaker" wrote

the weather was complete cra_.

I think saying crap without editing is pretty tame around here! ;-)

Nice post.
--
Jim in NC
Old November 26th 05, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John Huthmaker" wrote in message
k.net...
Today was the day I was to do my first solo X-country.
Wow what a rush. I just did my first solo cross country, made my
grandparents proud, and flew home essentially by instrument. I'm sure you
will be seeing a post in a couple weeks about my Checkride!!!!

Great story, John. Congratulations! We'll be waiting for your postings...

Old November 26th 05, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:
"John Huthmaker" wrote

the weather was complete cra_.

I think saying crap without editing is pretty tame around here! ;-)

Nice post.

I thought his "p" key was broken or he mistyped. Just goes to show I misjudged
the fellow. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old November 26th 05, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:35:43 GMT, "John Huthmaker"
wrote in
t::

[Interesting story snipped]

SoCal approach was very helpful in that I never had to call them, they just
knew where I was going, so they told me when to descend.

Of course, as Pilot In Command, you chose to accept ATC's suggested
descent point, right? (See: § 91.3 Responsibility and authority of
the pilot in command http://tinyurl.com/ce4hm ) In my opinion, it's
important for a student to understand that the PIC is responsible for
controlling his aircraft, not ATC.

The scary part was when they handed me off to Long Beach. I knew at that
point that I wasn't 100% sure of my location, so what was I going to tell
Long Beach. I knew I had to request landing. So I tuned to Seal Beach VOR
in NAV2, and triangulated my position.

That was the right thing to do. Good work.

At that point I was fairly certain that I was over the 91/605 interchange.
I could see the 605, but not the 91. My best guess is that I was flying
directly over the 91. Anyways I contacted Long Beach and gave my position
as 91/605 for landing 25L. They told me to follow the 605 for a right base.
So I did just that. Then they told me I was clear to land. I knew at that
point I had to confess that I still had no clue where the airport was.
They were very cool about it, and said they would call me final, just
maintain my base over the 605. They finally told me to turn to 250, and
the airport was 2 1/2 miles ahead with the runway lights on high.
About 20 seconds later the airport was in sight.

ATC was "very cool about it" indeed. VFR with less than 3 miles
flight visibility, you were technically in IMC due to the haze and the
low angle of the sun. (See: § 91.155 Basic VFR weather minimums
http://tinyurl.com/9elqv ) This occurs often in the LA area; plan on
it.

Technically, with less than 3 miles visibility in daylight, you should
have requested a Special VFR Approach. (See: § 91.157 Special VFR
weather minimums http://tinyurl.com/aa8tc ) If it had been a half hour
after sunset or more, lacking an instrument rating you would have had
to declare an emergency.

I bring up these points, so that you will be fully aware of the
regulations involved. Practically, you did a good job.

[rec.aviation.student newsgroup added]