Garmin 96C vs 3600a Opinions?

Old November 30th 05, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.products

Default Garmin 96C vs 3600a Opinions?

I'm a VFR pilot and looking at the Garmin 96C or the 3600a (though my
'dream machine' would have to be the 396). Has anyone actually flown
with either and can comment on the visibility issue?

The bells and whistles of the 3600a are certainly attractive, as well
as the larger display, but the rechargeables in the 3600a, with a 3-9
hrs operating window, vs. the 96C's 30-40 hrs definately makes one turn
his/her head.

The 3600a's intuitive turn-by-turn feature really piques my interest. I
read where any deviation from the calculated route will automatically
result in a re-calculation and new verbal instruction set to
destination. Anyone with first hand knowledge can verify this?

Seems to me that a PDA, Ground GPS, AV GPS combo would provide the best
bang for the buck, but if signal interpution occurs, the charge is
inadequate for normal flights, or screen visibility is inadequate....
what's the point? Anything founded there?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,
~Tayvan

Old November 30th 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.products

I have a 3600a.

It comes with a cable you can plug into the cigar lighter. In any event the
battery life probably exceeds your kidney capacity.

The screen is very readable.

It is convenient to have other things like the E6B capability etc.

It has also been used in my car where it also works fine.

Daniel
oups.com...