Lightspeed: Upgrade 25XL w/Cell Adaptor or Upgrade to 30 3G

Old August 18th 04, 10:18 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default Lightspeed: Upgrade 25XL w/Cell Adaptor or Upgrade to 30 3G

My headset - a 25XL - is starting to have a little issue with the microphone
jack. This has prompted me to deal with something on my list of things to
do: get cell phone capability in the headset. It's just easier dealing
with TRACON around here if I can depart *now* (or in some incredibly small
number of minutes).

Lightspeed has an upgrade program where, for $75, I can get the cell phone
do-dad added to my headset. Or, for $200, I can trade up to the 30 3G
which has this feature.

The 30 3G has a few decibals more cancellation, and correspondingly shorter
battery life.

Anyone have suggestions either way? Is there that much of a difference in
the cancellation that makes the shorter battery life worthwhile?

- Andrew

Old August 19th 04, 01:59 AM
Dan Luke

"Andrew Gideon" wrote:
Anyone have suggestions either way?

I uppgraded my 25XL and was pleased with the deal. For the price I got
the cell phone interface, a new battery/control box and new ear seals.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 19th 04, 02:01 AM
Andrew Gideon

Dan Luke wrote:

"Andrew Gideon" wrote:
Anyone have suggestions either way?

I uppgraded my 25XL and was pleased with the deal. For the price I got
the cell phone interface, a new battery/control box and new ear seals.

I'm sorry, but I don't know *which* upgrade path you took: the $75 "get a
better 25XL" or the $200 "get a 30 3G". It sounds like the former, but...?

- Andrew

Old August 19th 04, 12:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Andrew,

Anyone have suggestions either way? Is there that much of a difference in
the cancellation that makes the shorter battery life worthwhile?

Is listening to music of any importance to you? If so, the Thirty also has
the bass/treble boost feature. Also, I think the ANR will be noticably
better, if not by much. Color might play a role in the decision, too - the
Thirty is blue, the 25 black.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 19th 04, 01:39 PM
Viperdoc

I have one of each. The cell phone interface is nice, particularly for
calling flight service for clearances in podunk airports. The sound
attenuation is marginally superior in the 303g, and stereo sound from the
satellite radio is superb.

However, you are also correct in that the battery life of the 30-3g is
shorter than in the 25xl. Comfort wise they are similar in weight and feel.

I'm thinking about buying another 30-3g for my wife, and having my son use
the 25xl on his fat head so he can watch DVD's in the back.

Old August 19th 04, 02:25 PM
Dan Luke

"Andrew Gideon" wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't know *which* upgrade path you took: the $75 "get a
better 25XL" or the $200 "get a 30 3G". It sounds like the former,

but...?

'Scuse me: the former.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old August 19th 04, 04:14 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
the Thirty is blue, the 25 black.

Grey.

Paul

Old August 19th 04, 04:41 PM
Andrew Gideon

Viperdoc wrote:

I have one of each.

Perfect!

The cell phone interface is nice, particularly for
calling flight service for clearances in podunk airports.

Yes, that's why I'm interested.

The sound
attenuation is marginally superior in the 303g, and stereo sound from the
satellite radio is superb.

However, you are also correct in that the battery life of the 30-3g is
shorter than in the 25xl. Comfort wise they are similar in weight and
feel.

Is the sound improvement worth the battery life decrease? How much of a
decrease have you experienced?

I'm thinking about buying another 30-3g for my wife, and having my son use
the 25xl on his fat head so he can watch DVD's in the back.

Confusion So the XL upgrade also includes the ability to listen to music?
I didn't realize that. It includes that "soft mute" feature, right, where
traffic on the radio or intercom mutes the music?

- Andrew

Old August 19th 04, 08:42 PM
Viperdoc

I don't use the music input on the 30-3g since I have stereo inputs built
into the plane. It does sound great (satellite radio or DVD) through the
headsets, and with very little background noise.

Listening to unicom/approach/awos and the cell phone at the same time can be
a little confusing. I find myself pushing the mike button when answering
people on the cell phone over the headsets! The cell phone does not mute
with radio traffic, but as I recall, the stereo input does mute.

I can't quantify how much less the battery life is with the 30-3g's, but it
seems like the claim of 50 hours is a bit optimistic. It seemed noticeable,
although compared side by side the active sound attenuation in the 30-3g is
superior (also hard to quantify).

Put together, I would buy a new 30-3g over a refurbished 25XL, even with the
cellphone adapter. The improved sound attenuation alone was worth it, and
customer service has been great. True, they aren't built like tanks like a
Dave Clark, but they aren't as heavy and don't clamp your head either. I
compared them to Bose's latest, and I thought the ANR from the Lightspeeds
was superior. I simply couldn't justify the added cost (nearly double) for
the Bose.

Good luck.

Old August 20th 04, 08:36 AM
Thomas Borchert