A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

S7 (formerly V7) software bugs?

Old June 19th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default S7 (formerly V7) software bugs?

The latest release (V4.99) of software for the S7 vario is exhibiting some unusual behavior in at least two different aircraft. Has anyone else noticed any of the issues below?

SETUP: Oudie II, PowerFlarm brick, S7 vario, Flarmview. S7 is version 4.99, vario is version 4.98 Flarmview is latest version.

1) In speed to fly mode (SC), the sound is behaving strangely. As the mechanical needle rises between 0 and 0.5 knots, the tone pitch rises rapidly. Above 0.5 knots it suddenly drops back down in pitch and begins to rise again (more slowly) as the needle climbs higher.

2) The volume of the vario resets/changes on its own and I have to keep re-adjusting it louder in flight.

3) During my last flight, during cruise, there were several occasions where I attempted to adjust the MC setting on the S7. The needle would suddenly pitch up to 10 knots of climb and get stuck there, and the speed to fly indicator would drop all the way down (showing I was flying too fast). I had to turn the S7 off to get it to reset. Adjusting the MC via Oudie did not produce this result.

Any additional observations would be appreciated.

Matt Herron
Old June 19th 15, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster

Matt,

I'm current flying with a similar set up and have been plagued by resets and other odd behavior. I've got Richard Pfiffner of Craggy Aero corresponding with the factory and we're trying a few things, including a factory reset before today's flight. I was still getting the unit freezing at the most inopportune times!! Apparently there is a possible hardware tweak but you need to send it ti the factory or an authorized dealer (CraggyAero can do it).

When the contest is over Richard is taking mine home to do the tweak and see if that solves the problem.
Old June 19th 15, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 12:26:52 AM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Matt,

I'm current flying with a similar set up and have been plagued by resets and other odd behavior. I've got Richard Pfiffner of Craggy Aero corresponding with the factory and we're trying a few things, including a factory reset before today's flight. I was still getting the unit freezing at the most inopportune times!! Apparently there is a possible hardware tweak but you need to send it ti the factory or an authorized dealer (CraggyAero can do it).

When the contest is over Richard is taking mine home to do the tweak and see if that solves the problem.

I had the same glitch at Region V North. In SC mode vario told me to fly faster, faster, faster with pegged needle. I sent it back to Richard and he could not duplicate. Since that time I have flown an additional contest and no issues.

Lane
Old June 19th 15, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 9:26:52 PM UTC-7, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Matt,

I had that same problem. It would reboot in flight and kill the power to the whole system including Powerflarm. Finally sent it back to Richard and he did the hardware fix. That seems to have fixed the hardware problem, but not the software issues mentioned above.

The software issues appeared with the latest upgrade of all boxes at the beginning of the season. Prior to that, I also had an issue with V7 not displaying Flarm warnings. That seems to have gotten fixed in this release.

Matt
Old June 19th 15, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak
external usenet poster

On 06/19/2015 10:03 AM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 9:26:52 PM UTC-7, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Matt,

I had that same problem. It would reboot in flight and kill the power to the whole system including Powerflarm. Finally sent it back to Richard and he did the hardware fix. That seems to have fixed the hardware problem, but not the software issues mentioned above.

The software issues appeared with the latest upgrade of all boxes at the beginning of the season. Prior to that, I also had an issue with V7 not displaying Flarm warnings. That seems to have gotten fixed in this release.

Matt

I am running with PowerflarmS7IOIODell Streak 5(XCSOAR). All devices
are on the firmware and software revisions and have not experienced
these issues.

I had three power failures in flight this season, these shut down
everything not just the S7. I think they were related to battery glass
fuse holder failing - these have been replaced by automotive blade fuses
now but I haven't had a chance to test in the air...

Luke
Old June 19th 15, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak
external usenet poster

On 06/19/2015 10:15 AM, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
I am running with PowerflarmS7IOIODell Streak 5(XCSOAR). All devices
are on the firmware and software revisions and have not experienced
these issues

Sorry for replying to myself but that was supposed to say

"are on the LATEST firmware and software revisions"

Luke
Old June 20th 15, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Orton[_4_]
external usenet poster

I can't comment on the inflight reset issue.
However I have seen the SC speed to fly problem occur when the glider polar weight parameters somehow get reset to zero. Makes sure that the glider mass is set correctly in the settings. There are several settings to make.
Old June 20th 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

Reset to factory default Password 00666 You will need to setup all your settings again.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old June 20th 15, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 8:32:19 PM UTC-7, Richard wrote:
Reset to factory default Password 00666 You will need to setup all your settings again.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Factory reset was tried by Morteza, and he still had this vario issue of speed to fly indicator going nuts. I will check some settings today and report back.

Old June 21st 15, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Glad to hear this is a widespread problem. Richard gave my V7 the shakedown on the bench and pronounced it healthy. Great customer service. I am glad to hear I wasn't in dreamland when the thing went screwy on last day of region V North. Still won contest ( my first win ) but it was like the water torture drill trying to ignore the baritone chord on the audio.

Lane
XF