ATC Careers -- Question for Newps or Chip

Old March 17th 04, 03:32 AM
Tom Sixkiller

Default ATC Careers -- Question for Newps or Chip

My youngest daughter is graduating high school this May, and is looking to
do a GWBush by joining the Air National Guard. The job she's most interested
in is Air Traffic Controller. She's also contemplating doing AFROTC at the
same time (don't think she can do ROTC while being in ANG).

I _assume_ this would be an advantage toward later being an FAA controller.
In any case, we'd appreciate some comments, advice, warnings, etc., that
would assist her along this path. What might she expect after her Air Force
tour is up?

Thanks in advance!!

Tom

Old March 17th 04, 04:01 AM
Newps

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

My youngest daughter is graduating high school this May, and is looking to
do a GWBush by joining the Air National Guard. The job she's most interested
in is Air Traffic Controller. She's also contemplating doing AFROTC at the
same time (don't think she can do ROTC while being in ANG).

I _assume_ this would be an advantage toward later being an FAA controller.
In any case, we'd appreciate some comments, advice, warnings, etc., that
would assist her along this path. What might she expect after her Air Force
tour is up?

I don't see being a military controller as being an adavantage. If she
knows she wants to be a controller then go to one of the colleges that
will train you as a controller and the FAA guarantees you a job after
you graduate. An example is the University of North Dakota. They have
unbelievably good training facilities at the college. There are several
others across the country. I have seen a couple of Air Force facilities
and was not impressed.

Old March 17th 04, 06:12 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Newps" wrote in message

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

My daughter is graduating high school this May, and is looking to
[...]

Thanks for the info.

Thing is, she wants to do the Air Force (ANG or ROTC) thing to put herself
through college.

I'll see what she says about different schools, but she thinks she's not
ready to "leave home" yet. One that I have some knowledge about is
Embry-Riddle, but I don't think they have an ATC program.

Thanks again.

Tom

Old March 17th 04, 11:27 AM

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Had dad, help her out to go to the college Newp recommends. It is a
straight-line to being hired as an FAA controller. Plus, she won't have to
unlearn the Air Force way.;-) Plus, Bush or Kerry can't place her in harm's
way.

Old March 17th 04, 12:07 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote in message ...

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Had dad, help her out to go to the college Newp recommends. It is a
straight-line to being hired as an FAA controller. Plus, she won't have

unlearn the Air Force way.;-) Plus, Bush or Kerry can't place her in

harm's
way.

Oh, she's getting plenty of help--- room & board, car, etc., but she has to
pay some of the expenses herself least she think there's a free lunch. Like
her two older sisters, they had to make more than token contributions so
they'd realize that failures or shortcoming would come out of their pockets
as well as Dad's.

And how could she be placed in harms way in the Air National Guard? They
NEVER go into combat? :~)

Old March 17th 04, 02:15 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Thompson" wrote in message
m...
As they say in the Army, everyone's "second" job is infantry.

That's why she wants to go Air Force. :~) She doesn't want to be a grunt
like her old man.

The Army has been courting her quite intensely...and she's giving them the
"bums rush".

Old March 17th 04, 06:14 PM

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

And how could she be placed in harms way in the Air National Guard? They
NEVER go into combat? :~)

Touche' ;-)

Old March 19th 04, 12:43 PM
tscottme

Tom Sixkiller wrote in message

I'll see what she says about different schools, but she thinks she's

not
ready to "leave home" yet. One that I have some knowledge about is
Embry-Riddle, but I don't think they have an ATC program.

ERAU does have an ATC program. I think they call it Air Traffic
Management, it was called Airway Science when I attended. I took a
couple of elective ATC course when I went there. Their web site is
www.erau.edu It's pretty cheap to live in the Daytona area, the tough
part is finding any job except for the restaurants and hotels. As a
student you could work in a different hotel or restaurant every week and
still miss a few before you graduated. BTW, the male/female ratio at
the Daytona campus was about 10-to-1. Don't know if that helps or hurts
your decision. ERAU has a good AFROTC program, although I was in the
Navy Club not the AF program. ERAU also has a Prescott, AZ campus but
it may not have an ATC program. I think their ocean is not nearly as
big as the DB campus.

--
Scott

Old March 19th 04, 01:16 PM
Dan Truesdell

tscottme wrote:
Tom Sixkiller wrote in message

snip

BTW, the male/female ratio at
the Daytona campus was about 10-to-1.

snip

Wow! That low? I think it was about 94-3 when I was there. I
transferred after only one semester, not because of the ratio, but
because I felt that DB was not a nice place to live as a student, ERAU
(or "Humpty Diddle" as we called it) housed only 800 out of 4500
students (not much for campus life), I was living in the "Ridgewood
Roach Ranch" (hot and cold water, and running roaches), and, at the
time, IIRC, DB had the second highest crime rate in the country (got
mugged the day before I left). The last straw was getting thrown out of
class for wearing a baseball cap. For people that have expressed an
interest in ERAU, I've suggested that they try the Prescott campus.

Dan

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Garmin 430 data chip PaulaJay1 Instrument Flight Rules 6 December 29th 03 04:43 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM
ADC chip detectors CS_Mike Home Built 2 September 3rd 03 06:26 AM