Transporting O2 safely

Old October 23rd 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Transporting O2 safely

Time to get a refill on my "J" size O2 cylinder.
I usually build a cradle out of 4x4 so it can't roll and something at
the ends to keep it from sliding. This goes in the back of the
Explorer.
Anyone have a better scheme for moving a full cylinder? Mike

Old October 23rd 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
Time to get a refill on my "J" size O2 cylinder.
I usually build a cradle out of 4x4 so it can't roll and something at
the ends to keep it from sliding. This goes in the back of the
Explorer.
Anyone have a better scheme for moving a full cylinder? Mike

They are really supposed to be moved upright, only. Do you have a utility
trailer that you could chain it into the corner? Chain is also the supposed
requirement over rope or bungee cords.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 23rd 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Morgans" wrote in message
news

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
Time to get a refill on my "J" size O2 cylinder.
I usually build a cradle out of 4x4 so it can't roll and something at
the ends to keep it from sliding. This goes in the back of the
Explorer.
Anyone have a better scheme for moving a full cylinder? Mike

They are really supposed to be moved upright, only. Do you have a utility
trailer that you could chain it into the corner? Chain is also the
supposed requirement over rope or bungee cords.
--
Jim in NC

Jim,

Why does a J size oxygen bottle need to be transported upright? Is the
something different about the J bottle then the FAA approved "F" bottle
horizontal mount in my glider? Or the multiple welding size bottles that
are mounted horizontal on a trailer at a recent FBO I visited?
http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.phtml?...prd_group_id=8

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old October 23rd 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message
news

[...]

My supplier claims it's a Federal DOT requirement for motor vehicles. So
their employees will not load a vehicle that cannot be loaded vertically.
But they have never stopped me (or anyone else) from loading one myself,
laying down in my pick-up. This goes for all gasses. Ox, Argon, Nitrogen,
CO2, Acty.

Old October 24th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Wayne Paul" wrote

Jim,

Why does a J size oxygen bottle need to be transported upright? Is the
something different about the J bottle then the FAA approved "F" bottle
horizontal mount in my glider? Or the multiple welding size bottles that
are mounted horizontal on a trailer at a recent FBO I visited?
http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.phtml?...prd_group_id=8

All good questions, but the kicker is that it is DOT regulations for
transporting bottles over the road. Your plane and the FBO carts are not on
the road.

I've just spent close to an hour looking for a reg to cite, but you know how
it goes; when you want to find something specific on the web, you find
everything but.....

Still, I'm pretty sure it exists. I was able to find regs (OSHA) that
requires upright transport and use, but not any DOT regs.

If anyone knows of a reg and how to find it, I would like to see it, or if
you know of an exception that allows horizontal transport of compressed gas
bottles, I'd like to see that, too.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 24th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

I thought it was just acetelyne that needs to go upright or be upright
for 1/2 an hour before using. Oxygen can transport any way you please.
In my area all the gas companies deliver.

.. .

Old October 24th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Natalie

Michael Horowitz wrote:
Time to get a refill on my "J" size O2 cylinder.
I usually build a cradle out of 4x4 so it can't roll and something at
the ends to keep it from sliding. This goes in the back of the
Explorer.
Anyone have a better scheme for moving a full cylinder? Mike

The cylinder, if it is designed to have one, should be fitted
with a cap. If not, it should have some other protection over
the valve. I generally just cram in the seat of my extended
cab which will not let it roll.

For larger cylilnders, you can get foam blocks at any dive
shop that are designed to hold scuba cyls.
Old October 24th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
I thought it was just acetelyne that needs to go upright or be upright
for 1/2 an hour before using. Oxygen can transport any way you please.
In my area all the gas companies deliver.

It does say that they have to be secured somehow, or in a rack.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 24th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote

See:
http://tinyurl.com/yvt3uj

Looks to me like either vertical or horizontal is OK, judging by
paragraph (1).

Interesting. I was sure that upright was the only legal way. It does say
they need to be secure, and if the floor is not flat, in a rack of some
type.

Thanks for locating the site.

Then you listed: http://hazmat.dot.gov/files/gstomo.pdf

says vertical or horizontal.

That was for medical oygen, and is speaking directly to the situation where
the bus full of old people caught fire, and the oxygen cooked all of them.
Sad.

Interesting that I found all kinds of links about that situation.

Cryogenics look like they have to be vertical, however.

Because of the need for the relief valve to be in the vapor portion of the
tank, I believe. I think I read that if not vertical, the valve needs to be
in communication to the vapor, or something like that.

Off this subject a bit, but perhaps not too far off.

How is the investigation to the explosion at Scaled getting along? Any idea
when a report will be released?

I'm sure you are not allowed to say much, but I (an others) are interested
in seeing what caused the tragedy, and how it will be avoided in future
situations. I thought you might be able to at least say what the time table
for results is likely to be.

I hope things are going well, with the progress on the next version. Keep
on, keeping on!
--
Jim in NC

Old October 24th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

It does say that they have to be secured somehow, or in a rack.

That's so's we don't knock them over with our fire streams and bust their
little heads off. Picture it. Firefighter crawls into burning room. Opens
nozzle. Tanks falls away from him. Valve busts off when it hits floor. Tanks
returns favor back at firefighter. Ouch!

Did you se the Mythbusters episode where they decapitated a cylinder and it
whooshed through the concrete block wall?

Other than that, the reason to use an Acetylene cylinder while upright is
that the Acetylene is dissolved in Acetone which is then infused in
diatamacious earth within the tank. If used in anything but a vertical
position, the Acetone may escape through the piping and hose.

See
http://www.airproducts.com/nr/rdonly...0/safety13.pdf

Rich S.

Fly Safely.... muff528 Piloting 1 April 18th 07 07:05 PM
How to be safely stupid scott moore Instrument Flight Rules 10 March 15th 07 02:20 AM
Transporting ultralight Dave Home Built 11 April 10th 05 03:14 PM
Cirrus Deploys Chute Safely m alexander Home Built 40 September 28th 04 12:09 AM
Transporting water to glider Bill Daniels Soaring 21 May 2nd 04 04:52 PM