Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

Old July 10th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2XtN15qOA

Two weeks ago I was with a friend who had COM failure and that was my
first experience with light guns. Because of this, I thought it would
behoove me to brush up on my experiences in a plane.

I posted my experiences in the Flight Aware forums. The COM failure
can be found at http://discussions.flightaware.com/v...?p=83618#83618
and my light gun questions can be found at
http://discussions.flightaware.com/v...?p=83893#83893
Old July 13th 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

wrote:
Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2XtN15qOA

Two weeks ago I was with a friend who had COM failure and that was my
first experience with light guns. Because of this, I thought it would
behoove me to brush up on my experiences in a plane.

I posted my experiences in the Flight Aware forums. The COM failure
can be found at http://discussions.flightaware.com/v...?p=83618#83618
and my light gun questions can be found at
http://discussions.flightaware.com/v...?p=83893#83893

What's this have to do with IFR Flying?
Old July 13th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

can be found athttp://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?p=83618#83618
and my light gun questions can be found at
http://discussions.flightaware.com/v...?p=83893#83893

What's this have to do with IFR Flying?

In this case, NORDO situations. Still need to be cleared to land even
if 7600 :-) after breaking out of the clag.
Old July 14th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

wrote:

Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2XtN15qOA

Two weeks ago I was with a friend who had COM failure and that was my
first experience with light guns. Because of this, I thought it would
behoove me to brush up on my experiences in a plane.

I posted my experiences in the Flight Aware forums. The COM failure
can be found athttp://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?p=83618#83618
and my light gun questions can be found at
http://discussions.flightaware.com/v...?p=83893#83893

What's this have to do with IFR Flying?

In this case, NORDO situations. Still need to be cleared to land even
if 7600 :-) after breaking out of the clag.

What if it's 200 and 1/2?
Old July 15th 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

wrote:

Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2XtN15qOA

Two weeks ago I was with a friend who had COM failure and that was my
first experience with light guns. Because of this, I thought it would
behoove me to brush up on my experiences in a plane.

I posted my experiences in the Flight Aware forums. *The COM failure
can be found athttp://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?p=83618#83618
and my light gun questions can be found at
http://discussions.flightaware.com/v...?p=83893#83893

What's this have to do with IFR Flying?

In this case, NORDO situations. *Still need to be cleared to land even
if 7600 :-) after breaking out of the clag.

What if it's 200 and 1/2?

Should have thought about an alternate long before then however it
could happen on lift off.....declare an emergency.

Need a clearance to land without an emergency.
Old July 16th 09, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

wrote:

Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2XtN15qOA

Two weeks ago I was with a friend who had COM failure and that was my
first experience with light guns. Because of this, I thought it would
behoove me to brush up on my experiences in a plane.

I posted my experiences in the Flight Aware forums. The COM failure
can be found athttp://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?p=83618#83618
and my light gun questions can be found at
http://discussions.flightaware.com/v...?p=83893#83893

What's this have to do with IFR Flying?

In this case, NORDO situations. Still need to be cleared to land even
if 7600 :-) after breaking out of the clag.

What if it's 200 and 1/2?

Should have thought about an alternate long before then however it
could happen on lift off.....declare an emergency.

Need a clearance to land without an emergency.

So, you are saying I need a clearance to land when NORDO and proceeding
under the provisions of 91.185?
Old July 16th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

On Jul 16, 3:41*am, Sam Spade wrote:

So, you are saying I need a clearance to land when NORDO and proceeding
under the provisions of 91.185?

Correct. I am sure you know clearance for an approach is NOT a
clearance to land. I don't see anything in the above that says I am
allowed to land (hence the light signals).

No light signals, no clearance to land. I better be squawking 7700 if
I plan to land without a LANDING clearance. The above pertains to
enroute and approach clearances.
Old July 16th 09, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

BeechSundowner wrote:
On Jul 16, 3:41 am, Sam Spade wrote:

So, you are saying I need a clearance to land when NORDO and proceeding
under the provisions of 91.185?

Correct. I am sure you know clearance for an approach is NOT a
clearance to land. I don't see anything in the above that says I am
allowed to land (hence the light signals).

No light signals, no clearance to land. I better be squawking 7700 if
I plan to land without a LANDING clearance. The above pertains to
enroute and approach clearances.

I beg to differ with you. When operating under 91.185 you don't have an
approach clearance any more than you have a landing clearance. If your
destination airport has an operating control tower and conditions are
IMC you don't need a landing clearance any more than you need an
approach clearance. If, however, the Class D area is VMC to the extent
that it is safe to enter the VFR traffic pattern that would be the
prudent thing to do.

Under IMC, so long as you can comply with 91.185 you're expected to
sqawk 7600, not 7700. And, perhaps the transponder isn't working
either. If it is, and you have sufficient time, listening on VOR voice
might find ATC soliciting ident replies to new clearances.
Old July 16th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

On Jul 16, 3:36*pm, Sam Spade wrote:
BeechSundowner wrote:
On Jul 16, 3:41 am, Sam Spade wrote:

So, you are saying I need a clearance to land when NORDO and proceeding
under the provisions of 91.185?

Correct. *I am sure you know clearance for an approach is NOT a
clearance to land. *I don't see anything in the above that says I am
allowed to land (hence the light signals).

No light signals, no clearance to land. *I better be squawking 7700 if
I plan to land without a LANDING clearance. *The above pertains to
enroute and approach clearances.

I beg to differ with you. *When operating under 91.185 you don't have an
approach clearance any more than you have a landing clearance. *

Lets go this route. The system has built in a communication way for
getting a clearance to land via light gun?

What makes you think that 91.185 would trump the clearance to land
procedures?

I realize this is more theoretical talk as in the real world, ATC will
move traffic to get us in safely and it's a matter of "semantics" but
in the theory world, what you gave as reference pertains to enroute
operations (center and approaches), not tower operations (landing)
Old July 16th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

BeechSundowner wrote:
[...]

I hit send too fast! Landing is a VFR operation, not a IFR
operation. You would be visual from DH to wheels down so I really
don't think 91.185 applies.